Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Velcro on mask straps slipping off
Velcro on mask straps slipping off
On both of my Flexi fit 431 and 432 ffm's the velco straps seem to have worn to the point that they have a tendency to lose their grip come apart and mask becomes loose and leaks start. Any thoughts on how to hold straps together without the Velcro because my dme treats headgear like masks and only provides one new mask or headgear every 4 to 6 months. thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Velcro on mask straps slipping off
(01-13-2015, 09:08 PM)jscholz Wrote: On both of my Flexi fit 431 and 432 ffm's the velco straps seem to have worn to the point that they have a tendency to lose their grip come apart and mask becomes loose and leaks start. Any thoughts on how to hold straps together without the Velcro because my dme treats headgear like masks and only provides one new mask or headgear every 4 to 6 months. thanks.

Shy
I too had this problem with the headgear of my ESON nasal mask. The solution was to replace the headgear, a relatively inexpensive fix.
Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I can buy replacement headgear, but I'm hoping for suggestions for trying to get some more life out of the existing headgear until I can get replacement headgear or a mask from my insurance. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2015, 01:00 PM)jscholz Wrote: I know I can buy replacement headgear, but I'm hoping for suggestions for trying to get some more life out of the existing headgear until I can get replacement headgear or a mask from my insurance. Thanks.

If you look closely at the hook part of the hook and loop Velcro, you might be able to clean out any lint or contamination and give it some additional life. If that doesn't work, do a search for iron-on Velcro. This material can be applied to the old head gear and trimmed to give it new life. It should be available in fabric stores, and it's certainly online very cheap.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a while, I usually find quite a bit of dog hair caught in the hook side of the Velcro, particularly the chin strap. (My avatar indignantly says "Not mine!" and raises a paw in the direction of the other dog.) If there weren't animals around, I might be able to notice an ever-diminishing amount of my own hair there instead.

I seem to jab myself least often when I use a safety pin to groom the Velcro. I should mention that I eventually learned to do that after first opening the safety pin. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the ideas. I have long hair cats.
Post Reply Post Reply
They also make velcro cleaning tools but I find a small comb or stronger piece of velcro to be just as good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
I've learned not to play around with the Velcro tabs too much. Playing around too much with the Velcro tabs wears out their ability to anchor. You'd be surprised how long the Velcro will last if not constantly ripped on and off. Also, when I do adjust them, I make sure the tabs are fully seated and not on half cocked. Half cocked wears out that part of the Velcro that is not seated. And, I don't wash the headgear. That'll wear it out faster than anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
The velcro on my Nuance Pro has been the most frustrating part of using that mask setup. I've been babying it and will also try not washing it. Meanwhile, I do need to remove it from the frame daily so I can wash the frame/pillow/short hose.

As I said elsewhere, I wish the Nuance Pro would get headgear similar to the P10 without the velcro -- but keeping the Nuance's gel nasal pillow I like so much.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 299 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera cmpman1974 6 704 08-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: car54
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,031 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 2,817 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps Mayoko 5 7,122 03-23-2023, 07:18 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.