Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heart palpitations, anyone?
RE: Heart palpitations, anyone?
(10-01-2017, 08:13 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: If I'm awake and breathing normally, the lowest pressure my cpap is set to will meet my body's spec. 

I don't know what you mean by the "body's spec".

Quote:So if not enough air is getting pushed from the apap (though the pressure is appropriate for the conditions) how am I getting enough oxygen?

You're not! But as soon as your diaphragm lowers, assuming your airway is open, you will. The fan speed will go up but the pressure will stay the same. This is actually the great engineering accomplishment of the CPAP machine, keeping the pressure constant over a wide range of flow speeds.

The amount of air you breathe and the pressure of the air you're breathing are two different things. You can, for example, breathe a whole bunch of low-pressure air and get more oxygen than you need. Or to take another example, breathe very little high-pressure air and suffocate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2017, 04:13 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't know what you mean by the "body's spec".

At the moment, I can't remember either. I'll re-group on this topic when I can get SleepyHead to work.

Quote:So if not enough air is getting pushed from the apap (though the pressure is appropriate for the conditions) how am I getting enough oxygen?

You're not! But as soon as your diaphragm lowers, assuming your airway is open, you will. The fan speed will go up but the pressure will stay the same. This is actually the great engineering accomplishment of the CPAP machine, keeping the pressure constant over a wide range of flow speeds.

The amount of air you breathe and the pressure of the air you're breathing are two different things. You can, for example, breathe a whole bunch of low-pressure air and get more oxygen than you need. Or to take another example, breathe very little high-pressure air and suffocate.

Hmmmm... Something like a person who is much bigger than me and has lungs twice the size would benefit from twice as much air/oxygen than I do, but we might very well need the same pressure.

Thanks for stating the concept so straightforwardly. Now I have something to work with as I think about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 10:22 PM)Cpapian Wrote: In regard to your concern regarding heart palpations.  There are machines that monitor oxygen levels.  Some do it whenever you want, you put the machine on your finger and voila.  Another, is like a watch with a finger tip attachment.   It's called the CMS50d or f.  It will record your running oxygen levels, and downloads to sleepyhead.   Another option is the fit bit.  A couple of  models record oxygen levels.  

I just checked today and the fitbit does not list any of their products as able to measure oxygen.  The icon was announced as having the capbility, but now, while I see the Icon, I don't see it measuring oxygen listed as a feature.  I checked their website and amazon canada

It was supposed to be ready for shipment at end of September.   I wasgoing to buy one.  Too bad.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 405 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 888 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 495 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.