Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems
RE: Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems
I was diagnosed with Ménière's disease about 6 years ago. I control it with a low sodium diet and a diuretic. Using APAP regularly has not increased my symptoms. I remain asymptomatic unless I overdue the sodium for several days in a row. (Don't eat out much.)
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good topic, it is reassuring that I am not alone in experiencing vertigo with CPAP.

I first experienced vertigo about 10 years ago when I got my clock cleaned playing hockey when I got checked into the boards pretty good. I now play on non-checking league but that is another topic. But the doc said that I am prone to vertigo more easily because of that episode and have had about 8 occurrences in those past 10 years not related to sports.

I experienced my second bout of vertigo 2 nights ago since starting CPAP 8 months ago. The first time I thought I had the onset of flu or something because the dizziness was so bad that it caused motion sickness. I have never had motion sickness before this... ever!

I have gone to specialized PT with the motions/ gyrations of putting my loose screws in the ears back where they belong and the relief is almost instant. I have the literature on how to do the procedure at home wherever I have a bout. I used this technique yesterday to get me straight again. I know what cause this particular episode ... the day before the occurrence I installed a new kitchen faucet ... the lying on my side/ back and contorting looking up and backwards moved those crystalline nuts and bolts in my ear to get loose again.

Here is my thought on vertigo and CPAP:
I feel that perhaps tossing and turning at night in a restless condition allows a pseudo- natural way of re positioning those ear crystals. Since using CPAP with good results I an sleeping more soundly than before. I feel as if do not move at all during the night. Because I do not move, those ear crystals, if slightly dislodged, do not have a chance during the normal, minimal night body moment to get re-positioned back into the right location.

I do not have any medical evidence to support my theory, but will ask my doc next time I visit her.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 12:12 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: Good topic, it is reassuring that I am not alone in experiencing vertigo with CPAP.  

I first experienced vertigo about 10 years ago when I got my clock cleaned playing hockey when I got checked into the boards pretty good.  I now play on non-checking league but that is another topic.  But the doc said that I am prone to vertigo more easily because of that episode and have had about 8 occurrences in those past 10 years not related to sports.

I experienced my second bout of vertigo 2 nights ago since starting CPAP 8 months ago.  The first time I thought I had the onset of flu or something because the dizziness was so bad that it caused motion sickness.  I have never had motion sickness before this... ever!

I have gone to specialized PT with the motions/ gyrations of putting my loose screws in the ears back where they belong and the relief is almost instant.  I have the literature on how to do the procedure at home wherever I have a bout.  I used this technique yesterday to get me straight again.  I know what cause this particular episode ... the day before the occurrence I installed a new kitchen faucet ...  the lying on my side/ back and contorting looking up and backwards moved those crystalline nuts and bolts in my ear to get loose again.

Here is my thought on vertigo and CPAP:  
I feel that perhaps tossing and turning at night in a restless condition allows a pseudo- natural way of re positioning those ear crystals.  Since using CPAP with good results I an sleeping more soundly than before.  I feel as if do not move at all during the night.  Because I do not move, those ear crystals, if slightly dislodged, do not have a chance during the normal,  minimal night body moment to get re-positioned back into the right location.

I do not have any medical evidence to support my theory, but will ask my doc next time I visit her.

Are you referring to the Epley maneuver? My wife gets hit by the spins (vertigo) almost once a month until the ENT doc set the crystals / stones back into their rightful corner and hey, no more spins for a couple of months, then a sudden jerk or head movement causes the crystals to get loose again. So yah, contorting will cause a replay of the spins for her! Btw, once you have done the maneuver, you are supposed to sleep on the "good" side at bedtime at a 45 degree angle (propped up with pillows, etc) for at least the next 48 hrs to let all the crystals settle and then thereafter you can sleep horizontally but still on the "good" side for a week - Doctor's orders.

I had a bout of blocked ears which caused me a bit of vertigo as well. Dropped the pressure by 0.5 - 1 cmH20 and live with a bit higher AHIs on alternate or so days but I feel much better. Off the humidifier to see if moisture was co-contributing to the issue of stuffed ear and will slowly reintroduce now that the symptoms are gone.  Learnt not to swallow until I breath out as the opposite seems to allow pressured air to pop the ears.  Thankfully the blockage has dissipated - but the tinnitus still lives on.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you had any luck figuring out what causes your vertigo symptoms? I read your post and your symptoms are almost identical to mine. I have been using a CPAP machine since 2015, but within the last six months I have developed the “off“ feeling you describe. I have had vertigo in the past, but nothing like this, my vertigo symptoms in the past were the traditional spin feeling. Now I just have the “off“ feeling.  I take mexaline which helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,889 3 hours ago
Last Post: clan
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 377 7 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 26 975 10 hours ago
Last Post: BKeeper
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 57 10 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 219 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 36 2,367 Yesterday, 03:42 AM
Last Post: leono85
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,318 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.