Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask is leaking like a sieve after getting machine fixed
Mask is leaking like a sieve after getting machine fixed

I have been unable to wear my face mask for more than 3 hours before it wakes me, leaking air real bad, no matter how tight I make the straps. I even got a new mask, same issue.
looking at my sleepyhead data, I see the pressure is way higher then what I ever had. I thought when I set the maxps , it will not go above that.

When I look at the settings on the machine, is says 4 - 19, yet the pressure is showing much higher. what gives? I have been unable to wear the mask since I got the machine back, and now with this C-19 stuff, I won't get in to see anyone. I was looking for the settings Sleeprider told me once way back when I first joined, but I am not sure how to look for all threads I created.

Any suggestions?

Wife is not liking my snoring,

This is what it use to be like:    

I am using the Airfit F-20 FF mask, large, I tried a medium, but it leaks when I open my mouth.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask is leaking like a sieve after getting machine fixed
(03-27-2020, 07:10 PM)oldfart59 Wrote: ...looking at my sleepyhead data, I see the pressure is way higher then what I ever had. I thought when I set the maxps , it will not go above that.

When I look at the settings on the machine, is says 4 - 19, yet the pressure is showing much higher. what gives?

Let's look at pressures first. On the Resmed ASV in ASVAuto mode, the available settings are EPAPMin, EPAPMax, PSMin and PSMax. EPAP (expiratory positive airway pressure) is the pressure maintained as you exhale. PS (pressure support) is additional pressure added on top of EPAP when you inhale. IPAP (inspiratory PAP) is the actual pressure when you inhale. IPAP = EPAP + PS. So the pressure you're getting at any given time as you inhale is the current EPAP plus the current pressure support.

You say your pressure is 4 - 19, but in fact it can range anywhere from 5 (your set EPAPMin) to 27 (EPAPMax plus PSMax). The machine will cause EPAP to rise and fall (within the set limits) in response to apneas and precursor events. It will likewise cause the PS to rise and fall within set limits to keep your minute ventilation stable.

Looking at your current settings compared with your old ones, the only real difference is that PS max is now set to 12, rather than 19 as it was previously. The actual pressures delivered are a bit higher but again, not enough to cause this problem. I don't see anything in the machine settings to cause the dramatic increase in leaks that you experience.

Quote: ...I am using the Airfit F-20 FF mask, large, I tried a medium, but it leaks when I open my mouth...
...I have been unable to wear my face mask for more than 3 hours before it wakes me, leaking air real bad, no matter how tight I make the straps. I even got a new mask, same issue...

Are you using the silicon mask cushion or the new memory foam? I have found that tightening the straps too much on the silicon cushion is counter-productive. Too much strap tension will distort the cushion, leading to increased leaks. Try backing off the tension a bit. On the other hand, I have found that the memory foam cushion does require a pretty tight strap - much tighter than I've ever had with a silicon cushion. Once properly settled the memory foam is virtually leak-free.If you're using a silicon cushion, give the memory foam a try - they both use the same frame and headgear, so it's just a matter of swapping over the cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first problem we are having is that you keep posting new threads, but all of these subject with settings and leaks have existing threads and history that we need to go look for. You can find a list of your threads by clicking on your UserCP (control panel), which is in the top right corner of every page on the forum. Here is a list of your threads http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/search....40f37df883

We know from your thread list that there are four threads dealing with mask leaks. You never follow up on anything long enough to reach a solution. For example, we have suggested numerous times that you need a new mask, yet you never got one, and now you simply can't due to the virus situation. We have also told you that over-tightening mask is not a good solution. Tightening can make a mask leak much worse because it prevents the seal from inflating and properly sitting on your face. We have also suggested you read the mask primer, or just go buy a mask from one of the suppliers. Any of them will just call your doctor's office to confirm a prescription, and you will get a reasonale priced mask. I can't fix the one you have, and I can't seem to persuade you to follow the advise you get here.

I recommended initial settings to you in this post http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid216383
Mode ASVauto
Min EPAP 4.0
Max EPAP 7.0
min PS 0.0
Max PS 12.0

We eventually adjusted PS min to 4.0 and I think that worked better. These pressures are lower than what you are currently using. I suggest you implement ASVauto,, EPAP min 5.0, PS min 4.0, PS max 12.0 and we can look at the results. Please choose one therapy thread and don't scatter your information across the forum and multiple threads. It's hard enough to keep track of the many people that ask for our help without having to go hunt for it. We cannot determine what we have tried, why it worked or failed if you keep posting it in a different location every time. I'm being harsh in this post for a reason. I want you to change the way you post, and I want you to implement the ideas you get. Pleae keep your therapy posts in one thread. This one is fine, but stick to it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both sleeprider and deepbreather. I will select one thread per topic and stick to it.

I did get a new mask, hose and head gear and filters when I got my machine back. I am using the silicone mask, as the DME said they are easier to maintain. As you guys suggested in past threads. Also thank you for showing me where to find the list of my threads, I knew that you guys provided some data before on this topic, I just did not know how to find it. 

With this thread, I was hoping to answer the question, "could the settings on the machine/ machines operation have changed, and that is what is causing the leaks", Sound like you guys say no.

I did change the settings back to the original, and the leaks reduced, need to run for a while to see how it compares. I think I will continue the hunt for a better mask, I recall there is a thread about masks, I'll start there. And perhaps add my story of "hunting for the elusive non-face-farting mask". Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
We are glad to help you, and I appreciate that you will help us by keeping your topics together.   Thanks
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the mask and leaks: your ResMed F20 accepts AirFit silicone like you have now. It also can be fit with the AirTouch memory foam. I found the memory foam had a bit different shape. Others that use it say it seals easier for them. You may want to try it. Remember, you are trying to get leaks under control, and you must not remain under the DME suggestion to be concerned about mask maintenance if that choice is hindering you from resolving mask leaks.

Try the memory foam cushion or you need another sized cushion or you will need an entirely different mask. The leak issue needs resolved and you have to allow for as many mask options as possible that you can try so you come to a good solution. Hope you get a successful mask solution ASAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SarcasticDave94.

I had the quattro FF Small, but found it also started leaking after a while, then I read about the airfit F20 on this site, so I got that just before christmas last year. They had me fitted with a large, as a medium is not wide enough to over my mouth ( I have a big mouth  Unsure ) I also tried the medium, and yup, not wide enough, every time I smile, it leaks. So, perhaps I will try the foam one before giving up on this mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 34 2 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 190 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 331 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 277 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 846 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 561 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.