Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems
RE: Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems [copied from old forum]
zonk Wrote:Hi phranc2002 and welcome
I,m in the same boat, My Ent suggested turbinate reduction and deviated septum surgery but still toying with the idea and can,t make my mind up one way or another. I use Sinus Rinse and Nasonex, It does help with congestion and clearing the sinuses. What type machine are you using, Some people find EPR (expiratory pressure relief) help as it drop the pressure by 1, 2 or 3 cm which it can make it more comfortable to exhale against the pressure more like BiLevel effect to some degree. May be as your doctor suggested another sleep study but to have your pressure adjusted may be a trial with data capable auto adjusting machine so the doctor can set it up and make the necessary adjustment as required.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems [copied from old forum]
phranc2002 Wrote:Thanks Zonk.

I had the turbinate reduction done along with some balloon proceedure with local ansthetic. Very painful during procedure. Local ansthetic waa a joke. Tell him you want to be knocked out!

Anyway, I am going to get with the sleep center to try and schedule that.

Not sure what machine I have other than its a respironics (spelling??). I just cant help but think that it is what is causing this feeling in my head.

I mean I guess I should suggest to my doctor that I want a CT scan to check for tumors, but I just don't think that's what it is. I am having absoutely no pain except for the occasional shooting pain in the inner ear like there's stuff moving around in there. I would think that if the doctor thought it might be a tumor, that we would have done a CT already.

Ugh!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems
zonk Wrote:Hi phranc2002
Good luck with the sleep study. I,m going to have the turbinate done with septum after the Easter holidays, at times the left side feel blocked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Inner ear problems? I too wonder if my CPAP could be causing this. I have used CPAP for one year without any problems but recently got my control unit (Phillips Respironics System One) replaced. I have had daily bouts of vertigo upon wakening ever since. The pressure originally prescribed was 9 to 11 and I started at 9 for the first year. However, the replacement control unit didn't seem to have the same volume of air being produced at a setting of 9 so I had the setting increased to 10. It has been two weeks, so I reset the pressure back to 9 to see if that makes any difference. I also noticed my diaprham muscles have been sore for two weeks....which is probably due to the change in pressure also.
Post Reply Post Reply
[HI CPAP users... I had been using my auto CPAP on and off for a few years. I called it my C crap machine. Locking my face in a vice just to have a good night's sleep is not my idea of fun. I am now Scuba Steve...I digressed...sorry... Finally got so fatigued during the day that I had to change my way of thinking and try and like this device strapped to my face... with that, I have been wearing the mask every night and it's been about a year now. I slowly started developing Vertigo and tinnitus. It was a gradual almost unassuming effect on me but I knew something was not rigth...Then about 2 weeks ago I had vertigo so badly I stood up and nearly fell over... went to the ENT wreching the whole ride (wife drove me).

Is the CPAP causing this? ENT doesn't seem to think so but there seems to be an awful lot of people with inner ear problems using CPAP.... I don't know. If I don't use CPAP I am exhausted. If I use it, I feel dizzy. I've had CT scan, MRI, X-rays and tests, (Abcdefghijknamapee.) in other words, everything. Flippin doctor bills *&^$!@#.. I had another sleep study and they said my apnea is positional. When I sleep on my side, I am fine, when on my back the oxygen drops below 85%. I may tape a tennis ball to my back and force myself to sleep on my side for a week and see if this tinnitus and vertigo dissipate. I have a humidifier and will turn that down all the way maybe fluid is building up in the inner ear??? All I know for sure is, this kind of sucks. I am active, maybe 10 pounds over weight 49 years old with 3 small kids and want to make sure I am doing everything health wise to be around for them. FACT: Apnea will shorten a life span. That I do know... Anyone have any other suggestions or proof that tinnitus and vertigo are related to CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Drummer - When first started using CPAP used to get earache and saw the doctor about it. He clean some wax from the left ear and since then the earache has gone not sure if its coincidental or just getting used to CPAP.
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Just found this forum. I have been using a CPAP for 6 years. Experienced a sudden hearing loss in right ear, dizziness and some minor vertigo symptoms. Most have subsided but took almost 5 months. The tones in my ear are constant. I have seen an ENT for the hearing loss. Have determined inner ear issues and a hardening ear drum. While I have a humidifier on my CPAP I have not used it for quite some time. I am starting to do some testing with night sleeps and volume of tone in the morning. Two nights in a row the tone in my ear was much less at night than it was the following morning. Much higher the following morning and more so int he right ear where I am now experiencing ear drum function loss. Plan to do a couple nights without the machine and see what happens. Curious to see how many people are having a similar problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I would guess that you may *think* it is lower at night. Afterall, that sound has been there all day and you've gotten used to it. Then, first thing in the morning, it is going to seem louder.

That's my guess.

I experienced increased tinnitus when I turned off the EPR. I got used to the ear pressure after just three nights but noticed that the sounds in my ears (range from constant low hum to a high pitched whine) increased. I turned the EPR back on but on a lower number than before. The noise is not quite as noticeable. Or I've gotten used to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Awhile back I had a bout with dizziness. It just started out of the blue! I was at work, stood up and almost fell down. I was so dizzy I could barely walk. I got to the docs and he performed this test where he stuck out his index finger on both hands with his hands side by side. Told me to follow the ends of his fingers. He moved them slowly around, came towards my face and separated his hands really fast. I felt like I was in a cartoon! I could literally feel my eyes go in different directions and then bounce back and forth really fast! Good thing I don't get seasick or he would have gotten messy! LOL! He started laughing and said "You've got it bad!". Ringing in the ears is also another indicator here. There are small hairs inside your inner ear where the fluid is. These crystals break off (no, I don't know where they come from) and start floating around in that fluid. Every time they hit a hair, which is designed to process input from fluid, not crystals, it sets up a vibration that causes ringing in the ears and dizziness. I have had ringing all my life so I never thought about it before, but the dizzy part really got to me. He said to take Meclizine (motion sickness med, OTC) and it would go away. Well I was really skeptical, but did as directed and took 50mg Meclizine every...whatever it was the box said...4 hours or something? 6 hours? I don't remember. Danged if it wasn't gone the next morning! Just thought I'd share that one. Might help someone.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting! I'll have to remember that.

But I'm blonde so I get dizzy a lot.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 370 3 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,875 4 hours ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 26 972 5 hours ago
Last Post: BKeeper
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 52 6 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 36 2,365 Yesterday, 03:42 AM
Last Post: leono85
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,313 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.