Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very High Leak Rate
RE: Very High Leak Rate
Hi all!   I want to thank you so much for suggesting the Aircurve VAuto for me to get.
SUCCESS!!! I finally got my new machine on Monday, so I've had 2 nights with it now.
I find the machine very comfortable and slept great; AHI is great too; Leak rate is still too high, but we are improving!
The sleepyhead data is interesting - for the first time it is registering some OA and snores!
any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!
[Image: H0J24Nv.png]
[Image: HGLlmWq.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Grmato10, Your major leaks can mask apneas from being detected.  You REALLY need to work on you leaks.  It will go a long way in improving your therapy too. You may wish to try the "For Her" model of the F20 if you're not currently using it. Finding the best mask can be one of the most difficult processes in CPAP treatment.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you tell me how the F20 for her is different from the regular F20? I've tried size small and medium of the F20, the F10, the Amara View small and medium; I've gotten the leak rate down from over 75% to in the 30-40 range; with an occasional 7-11%!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully someone with a more intimate knowledge of the F20 for Her will chime in here, but I believe that it is designed for a smaller facial structure. While trying masks, you may wish to try the F&P Simplus. It seems to enjoy a good success rate.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just want to say that to come from over 35 AHI one page ago, to less than 2 AHI with the new machine is amazing. I think the AHI is reasonably accurate in spite of the leask because you can see the definition in most of the flow rate graph. It's real progress. The challenge of solving mask leaks is going to take some trial and error. Have you tried a soft cervical collar to stabilize your jaw and neck? It has worked for some others. Aside from that it looks like you may need to try some different mask choices.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on getting the machine you wanted and glad that you are happy with it

Do you feel the leakage or is it just Sleepyhead telling you that you have leaks? if you can feel the leaks, where are they coming from? Do you occasionally wake up with the lower seal in your mouth? Any thing else that you can tell us about your leaks? Have you fitted your mask at your maximum pressure?

Sorry if you have already answered all of these questions.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Grmato10,
Please excuse my manners.  Like Sleeprider said, you deserve a congratulations for lowering your AHI.  Please attribute my previous lack of empathy to "Target Fixation".     Well-done
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the encouragement!!!
I've tried the soft collar and also the chin strap.
With the F20 size small - I would wake up during the night with my lower lip hanging out the bottom of the mask;
When I felt bad leaks, it would be on my cheeks - they would feel cold and chapped from the air blowing over them.
But with the new machine I'm not feeling that so much. I have a fat face but a small mouth.
I am going to try each of the masks I have with the new machine.
I also have another new mask on order - full face with the forehead support - my hubby thought it looked like it was worth a try Smile
My original pressure on bipap was 19-23, so I had real trouble with leaks and my face feeling like "wind-burn";
With the lower pressure, I'm much more comfortable; Leaks don't wake me up during the night anymore;
I will think I did really good leakwise until I load my data into sleepyhead and see the results!!
with my old machine, I would do the "mask fit" feature laying down right when I was ready to go to bed and get it to 0 leak - I haven't found a feature like that yet on the new machine.
That red frowny face always gets me in the morning :0
Post Reply Post Reply
You might look into a mask liner as a possible fix for the leaks.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I could try that; anyone make their own or do I need to buy them?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 40 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.