Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very High Leak Rate
RE: Very High Leak Rate
There are commercial ones but for a "Proof of Concept" you might cut one out of a Tee shirt.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is how I understand that one makes one's own mask liner. Choose a fabric. A lot of people use old Tshirt material or a light weight flannel. Spread the material out on a flat surface. Take the headgear off your mask. Put the mask on the fabric cushion side down . Draw an outline about 0.5"-1.0" outside of the mask I am not exactly sure of the distance). Cut the fabric on the outline you have made. make a hole for your nose to stick through. Now you have a liner ready to use.

Some people swear by mask liners and some people swear at them. I tried one and it made my leaks worse but some claim a reduction in leaks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
we made our own with tee-shirt material and stabilizer. tee-shirt material alone is way too stretchy and won't stay between the mask and the skin. our pad's edges are rolled over and stitched so no threads sticking out to flutter in the wind and tickle you. The pads have a skin side and a mask side, the stabilizer toward the mask.

QAL

added: there is a definite airflow through the pad material, but it is so low that no rushing air is felt. the air flowing causes a cooling sensation at contact with skin. so nice in the summer. any air flow is not in the least bit noisy or disruptive.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, a quick update and question - I'll try to post charts later if it would help.
I tried a homemade liner - very limited success;
My husband picked out this ffm with the forehead support - saying that would help the logistics of the mask sealing Smile
It actually was the most success I've had yet!!!
For 6 nights - I had one night with 38% leak (I couldn't get it "right"); one night 18%; and the rest were 7-12% - that is the best I've had (I know, still not great) all that time the AHI stayed below 1, with one night of 2;
so last night I tried nasal pillows (with neck collar); wow - my leak rate was 0.5%!!! and AHI 1.05;
can that be? If I open my mouth, would that show as a large leak and be reflected in the leak rate?
I've learned in the last couple months to sleep more with my mouth closed so I figured I'd give it a try.
So.... can I trust the low leak rate with the pillows?
if its right, SLeeprider is right - resistance is futile Smile
Just wanted some expert comments and suggestions on my lastest experiments Smile
Thanks so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's for real. You will be assimilated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have bought the last several masks myself to try out different choices;
I just talked to my DME and she said nasal pillows are not recommended for pressures over 12; the main concern is dryness with that much pressure in your nose; but she was impressed that my leak rate and AHI were so much improved with the nasal pillows and thats what we want.
my pressure usually runs 13-17 to 15-19;
any comments on use of nasal pillows with higher pressure than 12?
Thanks for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the pressure in my profile. Many others here have pressure even higher, and I think Bonjour uses pillows at 25/20. I think your DME rep needs to update her information and awareness the nasal pillows are really for any range of pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response!! It is so helpful to be able to ask questions here and hear from people that have been there/done that! I did some "google reserach" too and found some reference to using nasal pillows for higher pressures.
I appreciate being able to tap into your vast experience/knowledge!
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run high pressure,
no problem with the F&P Brevida Nasal Pillows.
Received a Philip Respironics Dreamwear from my DME last Friday and used it since.
I also use a chinstrap.

Still adjusting to the Dreamwear but all is good so far.

I was using 2 different FFM, It was a CONSTANT battle with LL and one that failed miserably leaving me with red marks on my face, and since i'm bald, head too.

Hi, My name is Whacked and I am a former FFM user.
I have received the light and have accepted nasal pillows as my savior....
Post Reply Post Reply
EEeeegads.

Another convert to cult membership. Big Grin Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.