Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just started ASV after yrs of using APAP: need help w/limiting full-face mask leaks
Just started ASV after yrs of using APAP: need help w/limiting full-face mask leaks
Good Afternoon,

I'm writing to ask for advice on resolving my father's issues w/ASV. After having used an APAP since Nov 2018, he started using ASV (in auto mode) Tuesday evening...and experienced periodic therapy and sleep-disrupting mask leaks from the outset.

Late yesterday, just before midnight, I found myself having to both readjust the mask straps and lower the machine's settings (effectively throttling it) to limit the leaks. The mask adjustments, together with the now-lowered settings (EPAP: 4/7, PS: 4/9), worked (imperfectly) to help him manage at least some marginally acceptable sleep the remainder of the night.

I'm wondering whether the least-bad strategy would be to up the max settings of both EPAP and PS from their current values (7 and 9, respectively) by 1 each night, in tandem with mask adjustments as needed, until the data suggest further increases are unneeded - or the leaks again become unmanageable, which, I think, might hint at there being too much mask pressure. I could upload screenshots of data for his first few nights of using ASV, but I'm unsure how useful they'd prove given the leakage issues.

Speaking of which...a little over a year ago, he began using an Airtouch F20 full-face mask, which served him pretty well w/r/t both comfort and leak management while he remained on APAP. I'm wondering, however, if there are other full-face masks that might be better suited to maintaining a seal throughout the sharper and more sudden pressure changes associated with ASV therapy. I suggested he might want to try a soft cervical collar, which he summarily rejected; further, the leaks typically present around either the eyes/bridge of the nose or upper cheeks (upper 1/4 to 1/2 of mask cushion). Beyond that, any additional hints or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We'll try using new headgear tonight, along with a fresh mask cushion, to see whether that might aid with further limiting the leaks. Thanks (again) for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just started ASV after yrs of using APAP: need help w/limiting full-face mask leaks
Going from medium to large F20 Air Touch helped my leaks a lot.  I hit 25 cmH2O every night and 20 cmH2O is my 95%tile.  Leak rate is near zero.  Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just started ASV after yrs of using APAP: need help w/limiting full-face mask leaks
Thanks for the suggestion - dad's up for giving it a try (he, too, has used a medium cushion since starting w/the Airtouch).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Here's what ultimately worked to limit leaks from Airtouch F20 full face mask
Here's what worked to limit the leaks from his full face mask:

1) Use new headgear/straps with new(ish) frame and gently used mask cushion.

2) Position the mask cushion to enclose the nose and mouth. While doing so, ensure that the cushion's placement is both comfortable and forms a good seal against the face:
  • Top of cushion is both securely placed and comfortably resting against the bridge of nose and centered between (and not interfering with) the eyes.
  • Bottom of cushion is securely and comfortably resting on chin/below the mouth.
3) Adjust/tighten upper and lower straps as appropriate.

4) Run machine's built-in mask check utility to check mask fit (for ResMed devices, the option is called "Run Mask Check").

5) If leaks appear, while the utility is still running, adjust the mask, mask cushion and headgear as needed until the leaks cease.

Sometimes, it's easy to get caught up in the minutiae of data and give short shrift to the most basic (yet essential) stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a very "active" sleeper, changing from side to side, stomach to back, and have found the Airtouch F20 to be one of the most comfortable and best fitting masks for me.  Most of my leak issues occur late, 4-6 hours into the night.  Just pulling the mask out, off my face a bit and letting it reseal usually does the trick.  

Sometimes I think the memory foam has become fatigued or my face has developed a crease which makes it difficult to maintain a good seal.  In cases like that, I just take the mask off, take the time to make a little visit to the porcelain throne, and put the mask back on when I get back.  However, many of those little visits have nothing to do with my mask leak.   

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 288 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.