Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First OSCAR Report
Question 
First OSCAR Report
Hey everyone - here is my first OSCAR report and some info about me:

• Using ResMed Airsense 11 with a Fisher and Paykel Vitera Full Face Mask
  • I've had multiple lab study reports show an AHI of 80
  • I've seen five different doctors over 10 years to treat my sleep apnea with no positive progress
  • Finally bought the Airsense 11 and Vitera online and received it a few days ago

Please let me know if there's any additional info I can provide.

I look forward to hearing your recommendations. Thank you!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First OSCAR Report
Welcome! You have a lot of grouped apnea which is a obvious sigh of positional apnea. Positional apnea is also called chin tucking where your chin drops to your Sternum cutting off your own airway. No pressure changes can help. You have to find a way not to chin tuck.

It could be as easy as changing your sleeping position. Sleeping on your back is known to cause considerable chin tucking also to high of a pillow can do it.

If it is not that easy to correct they have found using a collar does the trick. I have a link to collars in my signature. It showed people without collar and the SAME people with a collar - high differences.

Collars are cheap and they are available at any drug store. The only measurement you need is how big a neck you have and distance from your chin to your sternum.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2022, 01:52 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Welcome!  You have a lot of grouped apnea which is a obvious sigh of positional apnea. Positional apnea is also called chin tucking where your chin drops to your Sternum cutting off your own airway. No pressure changes can help. You have to find a way not to chin tuck.

It could be as easy as changing your sleeping position. Sleeping on your back is known to cause considerable chin tucking also to high of a pillow can do it.

If it is not that easy to correct they have found using a collar does the trick. I have a link to collars in my signature. It showed people without collar and the SAME people with a collar - high differences.

Collars are cheap and they are available at any drug store. The only measurement you need is how big a neck you have and distance from your chin to your sternum.

Thank you. I have a very small neck and airway. I have tried sleeping on my side and stomach but always wake up on my back.

I'll give a collar a try. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
You may well benefit a lot from using a collar. I would also recommend that you untie your machine's hands and use a pressure range instead of a fixed pressure. You can keep your minimum at 9 but raise your maximum to 20 as an experiment, just to see where it goes. Or if that makes you nervous, try a maximum of, say, 12 to see what happens.

Making this change may directly help to lower your AHI, and the information it would give us could also be useful in guiding future advice.

Meanwhile, congratulations on your new machine and your new start on therapy for your apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 169 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 174 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,448 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] My first report here Frankiboy 20 1,396 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 480 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.