Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very confused about apnea
RE: Very confused about apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software

This is the software you get with it. There may be some differences, depending on which oximeter you got.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP pressure sometimes does cause central apnea. That's one of the reasons it's so important to get a good data capable machine and monitor the results. Check my signature line to figure out what machines are good in this regard.

You may need an ASV machine to fix your central apnea, especially with pain meds.

Opiates or other drugs can cause or worsen sleep apnea, especially central apnea.

Unfortunately, you'll be fighting the scumbags in the medical system to try to get pain relief while solving your breathing problems. Our government would rather let people suffer and die than let a few more people get high.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2013, 05:13 PM)msmcintosh Wrote: I ordered the wrist oximeter. I'll start using it as soon as I get it. I actually can't wait. What's it going to tell me? Is it going to show me a percent graph?
I looked at the SpO2 Summary on my sleep study report and it makes no sense to me. How does it relate to the oximeter?

Is REM sleep associated with dreaming? I thought it was odd that I had no REM sleep, even while on oxygen at the study. I can't remember the last time I've had a dream.

I am so grateful for all the information everyone's provided here! I felt so all alone and lost and especially, uneducated. Thank You!

You can download (for Windows ) a free program for CMS50's called SPO2 Assistant.
After recording a night's session you plug its cable into the USB port on your computer and download the data from it and it graphs your heart rate / O2 saturation vs Time.

after I strap it to my wrist I plug in the sensor and attach it to either my 2nd or 3rd finger on rt hand. (if it works better on your left hand then go for it) I then use some paper hospital tape and tape the sensor on so it cant move around much. (more motion = more artifacts in your data collection run) Usually a couple passes with tape around the base where the sensor meets finger, then one strap of tape over the top to hold it on, and then one last wrap around the base again where all the tape is stuck to the skin already. the loose data cable I then tape to my wrist so it wont snag anything and get yanked out. Then after I get the mask on, I sit down with it, check the current time & start the recording run.
When I wake up I stop the recording run, remove all the hardware I'm wearing then take it over to the computer for the download process. After the data work is done I put the oximeter on the charger for the next night's run.

Expect to play around with it for a few days to get the hang of it all.

Cheers!
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip on taping the sensor and cable. The oximeter was mailed today. Maybe the data can help at my sleep clinic appointment on the 28th. So far though, I found that the VA doctors really don't care about my opinion, they just tell me what they want me to do. Like taking away my opioid pain meds. All it's done is made my life miserable. My activity level is a fraction of what it was. I feel like sleeping all the time. And I have gastritis from all the NSAIDs they have given me instead. I think it will be a long time before my sleep apnea is properly controlled. And I will probably never get my opioids back, because of the governments attitude towards them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still waiting for the oximeter to arrive, it should be here soon.

When I sleep, I don't ever recall dreaming. Would that indicate that I didn't have any dreams or I did and I just didn't remember? Dreams are associated with REM sleep?

I tried sleeping on my side, but the pain is too great. Ever since I have stopped taking my opioid pain meds my life has been hell. Moving hurts, walking hurts and evenings and nights the pain takes over and is terrible. I do as little as possible now. Depressing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, msmc. You must be in "REM mode" in order to dream.
Remembering them afterwards is a toss up though.
You can get the big picture on the REM sleep stage from wikipedia.

Cheers! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2013, 10:50 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Yes, msmc. You must be in "REM mode" in order to dream.
Remembering them afterwards is a toss up though.

ResMed will introduce recording of dreams in a new CPAP/VPAP model?
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=362]I received the oximeter yesterday in time to try it out. The bad news is I took my last Morphine SR Wednesday morning and my pain level is around 9. I've attached the report. It says that I slept for 5:13, but I spent some of the time just laying in bed, because the pain was keeping me awake and walking around a bit. I wish I had it when I was on the opioids.

Would someone please take a look at the report and let me know how it looks?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2013, 08:06 PM)Ugly Wrote: ResMed will introduce recording of dreams in a new CPAP/VPAP model?

I think I'll give that model a pass. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
The report says your lowest was 85 but I'd toss that one. It seems to have happened shortly after you laid down. The heart rate is also "settling" at that point.

It says you had 26 "events" which it defines as a drop in O2 that lasts longer than 4 seconds. So if we assume - and it is a big assumption - that each event was an apnea event, 26 of them in roughly 5 hrs would be and AHI of 5.2, just over the threshold for diagnosis.

HOWEVER, not only is this an assumption that each drop was during an event, but it is also just one night. You need much more before you can form any sort of conclusions.

The good news though is other than the one drop to 85, you only dropped below 90% once, maybe twice.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 717 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 466 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.