Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very frustrating scenario, any ideas?
Very frustrating scenario, any ideas?
long story (semi) short: Newb to all this, started a little less than 3 weeks ago. First week my numbers were very good. Very low AHI from day one but some leakage (10-20%), and I was waking up more tired than ever even though sleep was 6-8 hrs a night. Then i went on vacation for a week. That whole week i slept like a baby, wide awake during day, numbers were great, slept 9 hrs a night. GREAT, i thought, I'm used to the machine and feeling great. Come home last fri and everything went back to the first week. Bags under eyes, bad sleep but numbers very good. I thought it maybe the pillow on vaca was better so i tried a few others at home, no difference. I thought maybe cause the vaca house had a lamp that i hung the tube on, so i made a hanger out of pvc, NOPE... I don't know what to do!! any advise on what I'm doing wrong??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very frustrating scenario, any ideas?
Hi, vig1116,

Did you exercise more while on vacation? Were you more relaxed on vacation? Are you under stress at home? Or, maybe, do you have pets at home, but not on vacation? A long shot… but were you at sea level on your vacation? … and at home you live high in the mountains? Maybe an "oxygen" or "humidity" issue might be keeping you from your best sleep.

I'll bet what's happening is… you're having the "ups" and "downs" of getting used to sleeping with your new machine, hose, mask … and all of this takes time. However, you can celebrate the week that was great and know you are on your way to better sleep in the future.

Hang in there for more answers. There are a lot of smart "hose heads" on this board and I bet others will have suggestions, too.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us have periods where things change. Sometimes we can figure out a reason; and sometimes we cannot.
For me, the greatest factor is sleeping position. On my back, I have more obstructive events than lying on my side.

You say you still have good numbers upon return from vacation. That might suggest a cause unrelated to apnea and treatment.
Just as an example -- let's say you really dislike where you live (like if you lived in Oregon.) That could make you feel bad. Your mileage may vary.

Best Wishes,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 02:52 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Hi, vig1116,

Did you exercise more while on vacation? Were you more relaxed on vacation? Are you under stress at home? Or, maybe, do you have pets at home, but not on vacation? A long shot… but were you at sea level on your vacation? … and at home you live high in the mountains? Maybe an "oxygen" or "humidity" issue might be keeping you from your best sleep.

I'll bet what's happening is… you're having the "ups" and "downs" of getting used to sleeping with your new machine, hose, mask … and all of this takes time. However, you can celebrate the week that was great and know you are on your way to better sleep in the future.

Hang in there for more answers. There are a lot of smart "hose heads" on this board and I bet others will have suggestions, too.

not really, no, no, a dog but he's great and shouldn't affect my sleep, live in jersey- vacationed in isle of palms SC. I was thinking it may be the humidity or air because we kept the AC blasting on vaca... I'm retired, so not much stress (except for 2 small kids) Smile I think i need to convince my wife to let me blast the AC at home to see if that helps...
Post Reply Post Reply
I just thought of a big piece of info i left out. I think i open my mouth while at home, but didn't on vaca. I wake up during the night with my mouth so dry its stuck together. What would cause me to do this at home, but not on vaca?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 03:17 PM)vig1116 Wrote: I just thought of a big piece of info i left out. I think i open my mouth while at home, but didn't on vaca. I wake up during the night with my mouth so dry its stuck together. What would cause me to do this at home, but not on vaca?
Chinstrap
Have you checked leak rate, home vs away from home?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 03:59 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-05-2014, 03:17 PM)vig1116 Wrote: I just thought of a big piece of info i left out. I think i open my mouth while at home, but didn't on vaca. I wake up during the night with my mouth so dry its stuck together. What would cause me to do this at home, but not on vaca?
Chinstrap
Have you checked leak rate, home vs away from home?

Leakrate was pretty much the same. I def need to get a chin strap, just curious why i didn't need one on vaca, mouth never opened...
Post Reply Post Reply
Were your actual sleeping arrangements the same at both locations, or was there something different will on vacation? Did your Significant Other notice anything different about your sleep pattern?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity can affect nasal congestion, too much or too low for you. Check your humidifier setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
slept on the same side of bed and position as home. My wife didn't notice any leak noise on vaca as she hears when home..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 605 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Frustrating new sleep patterns - the good and the bad rebean 2 624 09-09-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: brmage
Angry Ideas on how to reduce events, ahi 3k9BAO 3 516 06-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Wife's Crazy Sleeping Heart Rate, Ideas? Apnea23 11 1,176 04-14-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: pwnorris
  [CPAP] 3 years of low AHI and still tired. Any ideas? Lexie 2 1,848 12-24-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Lexie
  c collar ideas? Uzupan 0 354 10-09-2022, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.