Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very high events per hour
RE: Very high events per hour
Thank you!

I have reset the machine settings and contacted my doc and requested a new study.
Post Reply Post Reply
These new settings will reduce your CA event rate, but I'm certain you will ultimately require the stimulus of an ASV to achieve normal sleep. Getting a titration with ASV is your ticket. You are normal healthy weight and have all the characteristics of someone with idiopathic central apnea. Simply put, there is no good explanation for why you stop breathing at night. Fortunately the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is amazingly effective at treating this problem resulting in AHI less than 1 for most users. What you need to know is that insurance doesn't like to pay for higher level therapy, and your doctor was doing what they require, by starting you on CPAP or bilevel without a backup rate. The next step will get you where you need to be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, I will keep the thread updated as appointments and tests progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a question for you. Your profile shows your are in Colorado. What elevation do you live at and use your equipment? Is that a significantly higher elevation than the sleep lab? Elevation can significantly affect central apnea events. 8000' is a key for increased CA, but it can occur lower.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our elevation is about 7400 feet.  The sleep lab is about 6400.  Very interesting observation.  I have a question now, you jogged my memory.  We went to California recently for about 3 days.  Of course at or near sea level.  I slept perfectly while there, all tree nights.  I had assumed it was because of more O2 in the air, but could it have been elevation as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
Much of the Central Apnea we see is CO2 induced. When we flush out CO2 to below our apneic threshold a central apnea occurs. We stop breathing and CO2 rises and we resume breathing and the cycle repeats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Elevation certainly can play into your CA. Make sure you create notes that detail your very high CA in both PAP/OSCAR results and the diagnostic test results. You need to list all your negative feedback, there's nothing positive you have to comment on about your PAP therapy to doc. You'll want to request specifically the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, nothing acceptable except this one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Elevation has a strong impact on CA events, and we have several members from Colorado that have experienced the same issues. My best guess is your doctor is already aware that you need more advanced therapy because she went straight to bilevel. She probably won't be surprised to hear from you that the cure is worse than the disease it seeks to cure. Obviously that is not the desired outcome and I'm sure she will be prepared to discuss ASV and a logical path for you to get there. If not, I'll be surprised, but it's a common problem, but somehow I think you might be working with one of the good doctors. Let's hope. Meanwhile, let's see where the new settings take you tonight.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

The new settings did make a difference last night, but I have experienced the one off good night before.  We will see how the next few night go.  But, again, last night was a major improvement.  Thank you to all for the great advice.  I have not yet heard back form the doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh What the, How good is that! Is that true, going from near on 100 to 2.53AHI  do these blokes know  BOAT's,  the best, I cant believe that transformation ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 16 444 56 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Still tired and CA events liebano 3 71 2 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,408 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 714 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 110 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.