Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very long hypopneas -
Very long hypopneas -
Looking at my OSCAR data for last night, I noticed some very long hypopneas, 40 and 48 seconds(!) respectively. I woke up today with a severe feeling of soreness and tightness in my windpipe that persisted the whole day, and worse headaches than usual. Checking back through my data, there was a similar event 2 days ago and in the preceding days. I note the machine did not increase pressure (on the pressure graph) but did do several pressure pulses. It was like it wasn't responding to the event.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? That is a disturbingly long time to not be breathing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very long hypopneas -
How do you know how long the hypopnea were?

In my OSCAR, the "events" tab tells me how many hypopneas occurred and what time, but not the length. In my case, the time is like 03:33:59 which means the time is expressed in hours, minutes and seconds --3:33am and 59 seconds. It does NOT mean the hypopnea lasted for 59 seconds. My machine is a ResMed and yours is a Phillips. Maybe that is the reason.

To reiterate, how do you know the length of the hypopnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
IIRC, the Respionics machines report the length of hypopneas. They would show up in the Events tab of the left column.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
True OSCAR does not provide duration of Hypopneas, a metric that is very important in the Sleep Apnea recent literature.
I have used a caliper to manually measure the length of a hypopnea, as provided by OSCAR.
  Now I am aware we can discuss the accuracy of where I assume the episode begins and end. But I will state that the measurement is close enough to be useful.  We all have seen that OSCAR is quite variable in where it decides to mark many respiratory events.
  It measures duration for Apnea so why not for Hypopnea (and RERAs)?
One gross way I have used to measure my accuracy is doing the same for apnea and comparing OSCAR and my results.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is the CPAP brand that does not report hypopnea durations, not OSCAR. OSCAR will only report the data the CPAP provides.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2022, 09:43 AM)SleepyHenry2 Wrote: True OSCAR does not provide ...

You don't seem to understand what OSCAR does and doesn't report.

OSCAR reports what the machine reports, it doesn't fill in the gaps and report what it believes some items to be.

OSCAR reports the Hypopnea time length on DreamStations, because DreamStations report Hypopnea lengths.
OSCAR doesn't report Hypopnea time lengths on ResMed Air devices because Air devices don't report Hypopnea length.

This OSCAR design choice is important to help give OSCAR credibility and have its reports accepedt as being what the devices actually report.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was getting the length of hypopnea by looking at how long the flow rate was at ZERO (and also respiration rate sharply declining). This is visible in the 2nd and 3rd pictures I attached. I cannot comment on how OSCAR/various CPAPs work in reporting length of event.

Per my original question - that seems to be a very concerning event length. Is this something to worry about? Thoughts on addressing this? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
I stand corrected...ResMed's algorithm does not provide to OSCAR the duration of Hypopnea.
But the question still remains about the “need” for such a metric.
Friends, I am not an engineer or software savvy, so pardon my ignorance when I ask can we do it?
Can OSCAR provide us with this measure, or is it too hard and long to try it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Both hypopnea in your zoomed images are breath-hold. There is a large inspiration which reaches zero flow (no exhale) and at the end of the breathing pause or breath-hold, you finally exhale. This is not an event. You are either dreaming of being a champion pearl diver, or moving in your sleep and holding your breath. A 30-40 minute breath-hold following full inspiration is impressive in a breath holding contest, but not that unusual at night. I think it's interesting that the Philps CPAP distinguished the breathing cessation from an apnea and labeled is appropriately as a hypopnea. Note each one has three pressure pulses.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>A 30-40 minute breath-hold

Did you mean 30-40 seconds ?? Which is what the charts show.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 171 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.