Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Very long obstructive apneas
Very long obstructive apneas
I'm new to the Apnea Board and I have been on a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for about a month and all the settings are the ones that come from the factory.  One thing I have noticed is that in a random fashion an obstructive apnea will be flagged and the pressure increases but only after 50-60 seconds.  During this time it shows that I'm not breathing at all. This seems like a long time before the pressure is increased.   Do I have the settings wrong to catch this or is this just the way the machine works?  Also, I found the TiControl page 6 which has a table that I can't understand.  This is for the Clinician Manual Ver 6.0 and lists several patient breath rates from 10-40 with accompanying Sufficient inhalation times and Secure exhalation times.  What am I supposed to do with this table?  Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.  If this is covered in a previous post please specify the post.

foxmt58
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very long obstructive apneas
(08-08-2018, 12:45 PM)foxmt58 Wrote: I'm new to the Apnea Board and I have been on a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for about a month and all the settings are the ones that come from the factory.  One thing I have noticed is that in a random fashion an obstructive apnea will be flagged and the pressure increases but only after 50-60 seconds.  During this time it shows that I'm not breathing at all. This seems like a long time before the pressure is increased. 

PAP machines, to my surprise, do not work like a toilet plunger to blast open obstructive apneas when you aren't breathing. It turns out that more pressure when your airway is already completely closed isn't going to help. You have to start breathing on your own before the machine can do anything about obstructive apneas.

Your machine has to increase pressure before the airway is fully closed by monitoring partial flow restrictions and increasing pressure in response, hoping to prevent full apneas. The minimum pressure your machine is set to also plays a part in preventing full apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I think you are saying that only the rise in CO2 due to complete blockage of the airway can cause breathing to begin.   Thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
or raise your minimum pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2018, 01:02 PM)foxmt58 Wrote: So I think you are saying that only the rise in CO2 due to complete blockage of the airway can cause breathing to begin.   Thanks for your input.

I'm still learning about this stuff, so anything I say is subject to correction.

When you sleep you relax the muscles holding soft tissues from restricting your airway. An apnea is when your muscles are relaxed and gravity allows the soft tissues to block your airways, keeping you from breathing for 10 seconds or more. When you stop breathing from obstructed airways, your body will try to breathe in, your chest and abdomen will try to expand to suck air into your lungs, but they can't because your airways are blocked. Eventually, the CO2 build up and struggle for breathing will wake you up enough to contract the soft tissue and/or change your body position enough to open your airways again, allowing you to breath in, then the machine can increase pressure to try to prop the airway open when your muscles relax again, a bit like putting a wedge in a door to keep it from closing (probably a bad analogy, but it's all I can think of at the moment :-) )
Post Reply Post Reply
Foxmt58, if you are using default settings on your Resmed Airsense 10 autoset then the pressure is in the range of 4 to 20 cm. Most of us require higher minimum pressure in order to control obstructive apnea. As mentioned earlier, the apnea must be prevented, as the machine cannot clear an obstructed airway. The best way for us to help you is to see a #Sleepyhead chart from your machine. The software is free and the instructions for organizing and posting an image is in my signature links. At the very least, you can increase the minimum pressure on your machine to 8.0 cm, and we can give you instructions for getting into the settings menus.

Please download and install #Sleepyhead, set your minimum pressure to at least equal your current median pressure, and things should get better pretty quickly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 189 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 187 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,622 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 283 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,141 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 136 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 1,028 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.