Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2?
RE: Vibratory snore index of 242 !!!
The machine is holding maximum pressure based on VS. We can't determine from what you posted whether this is real or an artifact as suggested by Sawinglogz. I'd like to see the flow rate, events, leaks in a zoomed graph that shows a 3-minute out-take where we can actually see the respiratory wave.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does Oscar report Vibratory Snore data?
I commented in your other thread that we need to look at some zoomed images of the flow rate. Another good source to learn to interpret your charts is Robbie Sue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead This is somewhat dated, but contains a lot of good information, including on snores.

Philips does not use more sensors in the machine or tube, it uses the pressure and flow sensors to interpret thing like snores in firmware.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 02:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I commented in your other thread that we need to look at some zoomed images of the flow rate....

See attached...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 02:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The machine is holding maximum pressure based on VS. We can't determine from what you posted whether this is real or an artifact as suggested by Sawinglogz.  I'd like to see the flow rate, events, leaks in a zoomed graph that shows a 3-minute out-take where we can actually see the respiratory wave.

Sorry I missed this, see attached.

Post Reply Post Reply
As I recall, the Philips machines record data at 5 Hz compared to 25 Hz for Resmed.  Snores are usually very subtle artifacts in the flow rate line and I don't see the tel-tale signs of snoring in those charts.  Snores are usually associated with an airway obstruction which is easily seen as a flow limitation or flattening of the inspiration peak.  When that peak is "hairy" or has multiple oscillations, it can be a visual confirmation of snoring. Snores can be inspiratory, occurring at the peak of flow, or expiratory, occurring during exhale. This chart shows both.  We can see a number of flow limited breaths with obvious inspiratory snores between 04:58 and 04:59, terminating with an expiratory snore and a recovery breath.  This is gold-standard proof of a real snore issue.  I don't see it in yours.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11067]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleeprider stated, Philips uses firmware to interpret the data from the available sensors. There are 5 sensors. 
The combination temperature and humidity sensor monitors the inlet air. 
In the center of the air chamber is a narrow channel with louvers that straighten the airflow. There is a dual port pressure sensor with a port on each side of the channel. They calculate the flow rate using the pressure difference across the restriction.  
There is a dual port sensor at the output of the air chamber. One port is inside the chamber and measures the output pressure. The second port is open to the inside of the case and measures atmospheric pressure to determine altitude.  
Signal processing and filtering are used to sense breathing, snoring, and flow rate curves, and other parameters they can derive from the available signals. 
The CPAP and Auto machine probably estimate blower output from motor current and voltage. The bilevel machines have an additional motor lead which is probably a tachometer output.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great post Lindan! Do you have a source for this? It would make a great addition to our Wiki, and speaking of which, if you are willing, learn how to become a wiki editor. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...iki_Editor We can certainly use the help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I see some peaks with what may be snores in this image. It's not severe flow limitation or snoring, but I think the machine is reacting to these irregularities right at the peak. I posted an image in your other thread that shows 'classic' snoring. I think rather than posting it again, I'm going to merge the two threads. They are very closely related and I'd rather keep the information in one place.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2?
(Sorry for gap in responses - I'm in the UK)

Well folks this is quite interesting.
The support service that I deal with spotted something interesting.
For much of the time the events are absolutely rhythmic.
It's hard to see this on the Oscar display when it's showing VS and VS2, but it's obvious when these are separated.
See attached graphs.
So it's clearly a machine fault.
Which is a big problem because my support people can't provide a replacement machine because they haven't got any - due to the DreamStation safety recall.
Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2?
Interesting. For now while you wait for a different machine/repair you are probably best changing to fixed pressure and titrating to what seems best while ignoring the vibratory snore flags.

Probably start at say 10 cm pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,846 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,219 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.