Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2?
Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2?
I'm using a Philips Dreamstation.
The brilliant Oscar software shows a huge number of VS events and the machine runs mostly at maximum pressure (14cmH20) which I presume is its response to these events.
(See attached screenshot.)
EncorePro states a typical weekly Average VS Index of 156 (and on one night a figure of 242!)
It seems to me that either there's something very odd happening with my breathing or the machine has a fault.
Has anyone here seen anything similar?
Thanks. 

(This is happening every night.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vibratory snore index of 242 !!!
It may be a fault, but I’ve seen this happen when the air inlet was constricted.

Try using just the reusable filter (no disposable ultra-fine filter) for a night or two and see what it shows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2021, 09:01 AM)sawinglogz Wrote: It may be a fault, but I’ve seen this happen when the air inlet was constricted.

Try using just the reusable filter (no disposable ultra-fine filter) for a night or two and see what it shows.

Thanks very much sawinglogz, I'll give this a try.

(I have another question but will start a new thread for this.)
Post Reply Post Reply
How does Oscar report Vibratory Snore data?
Could someone please explain to me how Oscar reports Vibratory Snore data.

For example in the Details panel I can see these scores/indexes:
Vibratory Snore  46.62
Vibratory Snore (VS2)  287.76

And in the Events panel:
Vibratory Snore  377 events
Vibratory Snore (VS2)  240 events

(See attached image)

How are the scores/indexes calculated?
(Maybe clusters of events are a contributing factor?)

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does Oscar report Vibratory Snore data?
The Philips Respironics machines report VS and VS2. We're a bit unsure how VS2 is detected, but we often recommend that users just turn off that event. VS seems to to be a reasonable approximation of actual snoring events and is detected as a vibration in the machine's flow sensor. Looking closely at the flow rate graph wave-form, we can often visualize a vibration at the peak of inspiration that is a good affirmation that a snore occurred. The Philips Respironics auto CPAP and BiPAP react to detected VS with pressure increases. VS2 on the other hand can be tied to the tube moving over the bed or bedside table, a snoring dog and random noises, and the machines do not react to this channel.

This wiki has a good section on snoring reported by Philips machines http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_snoring

Your VS index is high, and it might be worth posting the full Daily detail report from your Oscar data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience when I used the Dreamstation, VS2 was chasing ghosts.  I say that because I always had a high VS2 count every night.  Being curious I started video recording my self while sleeping and  found that I was sound asleep, not moving, breathing normally and the Dreamstation still recorded VS2.  Combined with my snore detector (wife) who tells me I don't snore since using CPAP, I don't take VS2 readings seriously.  I just turned it off on OSCAR and ignored it.
Post Reply Post Reply
For reference, what OSCAR calls "VS2" shows up on official reports as flagged "VS" regions in the overview only. In contrast, "VS" (as OSCAR uses the term) is what gets flagged on official waveform reports only.

They are reported separately by the machine, but since OSCAR doesn't have any way to call them both VS and to treat them differently, they both show up in both places, along with the number per hour on the left hand summary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 10:19 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Philips Respironics machines report VS and VS2. We're a bit unsure how VS2 is detected, but we often recommend that users just turn off that event.  VS seems to to be a reasonable approximation of actual snoring events and is detected as a vibration in the machine's flow sensor. Looking closely at the flow rate graph wave-form, we can often visualize a vibration at the peak of inspiration that is a good affirmation that a snore occurred.  The Philips Respironics auto CPAP and BiPAP react to detected VS with pressure increases.   VS2 on the other hand can be tied to the tube moving over the bed or bedside table, a snoring dog and random noises, and the machines do not react to this channel.  

This wiki has a good section on snoring reported by Philips machines http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_snoring

Your VS index is high, and it might be worth posting the full Daily detail report from your Oscar data.

Thanks VERY much for that.
I need to take some time reading the wiki, there's lots of useful stuff there.

But one thing strikes me as strange...
As I understand it the Respironics algorithm only reacts to VS events and not VS2 events (and that's what I'm seeing on my Oscar reports).
However the wiki says:
Encore VSI = (Sum of the "magnitude" numbers for the VS 2's as shown in OSCAR)/(run time for the night)
Is that correct?

Also could you have a look at my earlier post here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...dex-of-242 and maybe comment on it?
Thanks. 
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought my VS2 numbers were high until I saw yours and I know for a fact that I do not snore or I wouldn't hear the end of it from my wife.
Unlike Resmed and other makers, Dreamstation Respironics line use an enormous number of sensors that their software monitors, one being the vibrations in the tube (as other posters have already indicated) . The software cannot discern between physical snoring that sets off this sensor or other causes of vibration (can be too much tossing and turning or leaks)...Looking at large leaks in your data, it stands just below 4% and I bet if you can reduce these leaks, your VS2 numbers would drop too but you most likely won't be able to bring it down to zero as this sensor is particularly sensitive.
I'll be following this thread to see how you progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've read that the VS flags can drop in response to the hose rubbing on something (bedding, e.g.). You could put the hose in a hose cover to see whether that changed anything. Also, you can try recording yourself during the night just to make sure you're not actually snoring this much (but I bet you aren't).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,008 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,811 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,808 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,883 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 472 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,220 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 269 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.