Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Video camera to record sleeping
Video camera to record sleeping
I have an inexpensive IR video (day/night) camera that plugs into a USB port along with an old Windows XP laptop which I dedicated to the camera. The camera was $41.00 (see attachment).

I see on my SleepyHead all kinds of erratic breathing patterns and was also wondering at what positions I am in when my airway becomes blocked. Last night was the first I recorded myself all night sleeping and found this morning when comparing the video with what happened throughout the night the erratic times are the times I'm moving around and even when I swallowed.

I can actually see every breath in the video as the sheets are moving. I also can see each time I had a Clear Airway, stopping breathing for up to 12 seconds.

The most difficult part was setting up a digital clock that is constantly visible within the video that is synchronized with my Resmed APAP time so I can narrow down within the video to see what is going on at which exact times in SleepyHead.

I was hoping for a blockage to occur but all I got last night were CAs and Hs (no OAs).

When I discover more, I shall let you know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Video camera to record sleeping
It's an excellent idea that you include a digital clock in the scene. I have not thought of that. I've got also a cheap IP infrared camera, and is scratching my head at exactly the same point: how to synchronize that video to SH data.

I'll do the filming with that clock to night, and will get back here to discuss.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The internal clocks of CPAPs are known to drift so make sure your CPAP time is synchronized with the clock you're using in the background in your video. Great idea on how to video your sleep.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point you mention CPAP clock drift: my SystemOne machine does not allow setting it, so I'll have to correct it in Sleepy Head

File --> Preferences --> CPAP --> CPAP clock drift.
Post Reply Post Reply
I watched the clock time in my ResMed Setup Menu and the moment the minutes changed was the exact moment I set the final minutes on the digital clock, so they are both within one second of each other.

When I started recording, after my mask and the APAP was on, I breathed in and out several very large breaths all the way in and all the way out and raised my arm in the video on inhale and lowered it on exhale and this morning I was able to more accurately see just where the video was at in relation to those actual beginning breaths in SleepyHead.

Tonight I hope to video some closed airways to see what positions I am in. I think I have the most problems on my back, but I'm not quite sure!
Post Reply Post Reply
Over the past three nights I have had numerous partial obstructions and clear airways. I had only one obstructed airway - last night.

When watching all these occurrences in the video, every time I have made some sort of body movement - turning over, arranging the sheets, pulling up the blanket, etc.

I am interested to see more results from upcoming videos as I was more interested in the positions I am in when I know my throat closes (as I can make it happen in certain positions while awake).
Post Reply Post Reply
We sometimes hold our breath when turning over or adjusting covers, without realizing we do so. This can cause a clear airway to be flagged.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In studying my sleep movements with respect to the SleepyHead graph, I have found that about every ten minutes or so throughout the night I take a sudden quick inhale breath, it also happens various times throughout the day. During most of these inhalations, it appears that I am frequently brought out of a sound sleep to move.

Attached is my SleepyHead chart during one such quick inhale breath, I was sleeping soundly on my side and when this happened, I moved around thus the erratic waveform just after the quick inhalation.
[attachment=3048]

Below is a run of five of them on this visible section of graph in about 25 minutes:
[attachment=3049]

Could this be making me tired all day, every day?
Is this something I should discuss with my pulmonologist?
Is there a way for me to flag each of these occurrences in SleepyHead?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 478 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.