Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask riding up face
Mask riding up face
Just as the title suggest my mask keeps wanting to ride up my face during the night. I have a Resmed F20 full face and looking for ideas on how to stop it wanting to ride up my face and my lower lip wanting to break free. I wear a chin strap already
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask riding up face
Do you have the right size? I found I need a medium with the F20 but small with the Simplus.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the same problem with my F20. When I roll onto my back while sleeping my mouth opens slightly and my jaw falls back causing the mask to lose it's seal and shift. A chinstrap, while helping keep the mouth shut, tends to push the jaw back, making the matter worse.

Some things I've found that help are:
  • I've found a properly sized soft cervical collar helps keep the mouth closed and doesn't push the jaw back. It needs to be worn just tight enough to keep the chin from slipping behind the collar.
  • DeepBreathing is right, mask size is critical. While a medium cushion works well with other full face masks I've used, I need a large with the F20. For me, the bottom of the cushion needs to sit at the point my chin starts to protrude. The top of the cushion sits where the brow ridge starts. The larger cushion also gives me more room at the corners of my mouth, reducing leaks there. It also keeps the mask form slipping off of the lower lip when the jaw relaxes.
  • Mask adjustment. I've found that adjusting the mask as described in the mask primer is critical. Too loose and the mask will leak, too tight and the cushion can't expand enough to seal when my face relaxes or my jaw falls back while sleeping. When properly adjusted, the mask cushion will actually help keep your mouth closed and also allow the cushion to expand enough to maintain a seal if the jaw relaxes or falls back.
  • I have a beard. I've found the mask cushion has better contact with my lower lip if I shave the area between my lower lip and chin. This allows the cushion to better maintain contact with the lip. Shaving the area where the mustache meets the beard doesn't appear to be critical.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
..... my similar experience concerning some points: cervical collor helps shut the mouth and teach you to mouth breathing, as well as prevent chin from retreat and loose > leaks;
.....adjustment is crucial: upper straps too short > mask shift upward; lower straps as tighter as possible;
.....any two-day beard enhance leaks;
.....any significant humidity (in particular that left when I wash the hose) enhances leaks..

good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
Solution that worked for me:
Page 15
Thread : mask seal 
Page 2
Post #14

sb.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,534 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.