Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Video proof of me struggling to breathe last night - UARS?
RE: Video proof of me struggling to breathe last night - UARS?
(11-06-2018, 05:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Not to step on Fred's next post, I still don't see a problem, particularly UARS in your graphs.  That puts me in agreement with your sleep doctor, and very cautious about the PES testing.  I already posted and linked to side effects of high concern for your medication, and think all the rest of this is a distraction.

So last night I tried a regular pillow instead of ergonomic neck pillow. Wore my neck brace too. 

I woke up middle of night with chest feeling tired and burning sensation across my left side of chest. Checked Sleepy head results. It shows my Max IPAP increased to it's max of 18 after a couple of OA's and fluctuated several times up and down.

So it appears a regular pillow is out of the question for me unless I lay on my side. 

Since it was hitting max of 18, should I increase it to 20 to see where the machine wants to go?

Can increased pressure cause burning sensation or tired feeling in chest? 

Or is this UARS?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 09:40 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Keep us updated. I do hope you get it resolved ASAP. Coffee

Well I had been doing okay for awhile. Though tonight, my webcam video showed I bent my knees up in the air again. I checked sleepyhead, and it was during the time of pressure increases. It lasted about an hour that I kept my knees in a bent position.

I woke up 2:35am and turned off machine to use bathroom. I didn't feel stressed out or that I was struggling to breathe like that one other time. But the video did show what sounded like some minor snoring or some type of obstructions going on. I am still on Multaq for afib, and haven't stopped it yet. 

My sleep doctor last time I showed them this, was not concerned about me bending knees at night, but had no answers. He also didnt seem concerned about that night on 11/5, where I had some major night sweats.

I recently had an echocardiogram and waiting on the results. Which is probably normal, since they didnt detain me after the test.

What should I do at this point?

[Image: XfXuuuO.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
It appears to be unrelated to therapy. Your results are good at 1.1 AHI with minimal respiration artifacts. The kind of movement you describe is normal. If there is something related to therapy, Sleepyhead is not providing a clue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2018, 12:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It appears to be unrelated to therapy.  Your results are good at 1.1 AHI with minimal respiration artifacts.  The kind of movement you describe is normal.  If there is something related to therapy, Sleepyhead is not providing a clue.

I went on this website "quora" where sometimes you get answers from doctors and retired nurses. I asked about my knees bent and night sweats, and someone replied, that it could be my body's attempt to help me breathe better. My body may be seeing I'm having trouble breathing, and then bends the knees up. 

They said if I'm getting night sweats associated with it, then I could be having breathing issues.

Unfortunately, i've already let me sleep doctor know about these symptoms and he said I'm "treated well" on my BI-LEVEL. If I go back to my primary care doctor or cardiologist, they just point me back to my sleep doctor.

So at this point, I'm still wondering if I should do a sleep test with the PES device.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2018, 01:18 PM)MyronH Wrote: So at this point, I'm still wondering if I should do a sleep test with the PES device.

UARS is treated with PAP therapy. You are already on an auto titrating type of PAP machine. What will doing an invasive PES test tell you? Will it change your therapy in any way?

Also, most cases of UARS can be diagnosed from regular PSG recordings and the PES test is only used in " in rare, doubtful cases":

Quote:These subjects presented repetitive short (“transient”) alpha electroencephalographic arousals lasting 3 to 14 seconds that regularly interrupted the abnormally high inspiratory efforts. Standard PSG recordings of these subjects evoked the diagnosis of UARS from the presence of these repetitive transient arousals, increases in snoring just before the arousal, and an increase in inspiratory time and a decrease in expiratory time, which were determined with the use of well-calibrated sensors. No significant change in Sao2 was seen, and the respiratory disturbance index was low (<5).

A nasal pressure cannula and, in rare, doubtful cases, esophageal pressure monitoring must be included in all sleep studies to confirm the diagnosis of UARS.
-Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 6th ed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2018, 01:18 PM)MyronH Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 12:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It appears to be unrelated to therapy.  Your results are good at 1.1 AHI with minimal respiration artifacts.  The kind of movement you describe is normal.  If there is something related to therapy, Sleepyhead is not providing a clue.

I went on this website "quora" where sometimes you get answers from doctors and retired nurses. I asked about my knees bent and night sweats, and someone replied, that it could be my body's attempt to help me breathe better. My body may be seeing I'm having trouble breathing, and then bends the knees up. 

They said if I'm getting night sweats associated with it, then I could be having breathing issues.

Unfortunately, i've already let me sleep doctor know about these symptoms and he said I'm "treated well" on my BI-LEVEL. If I go back to my primary care doctor or cardiologist, they just point me back to my sleep doctor.

So at this point, I'm still wondering if I should do a sleep test with the PES device.

Is sleeping with the knees bend such an unusual thing that its a problem to you? I always sleep with my knees bent, does it really matter why? Isn't it just more comfortable that way?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2018, 02:04 AM)crowtor Wrote: Is sleeping with the knees bend such an unusual thing that its a problem to you? I always sleep with my knees bent, does it really matter why? Isn't it just more comfortable that way?

Last night, had the same thing happen. Legs bent at the knees. Happened for only a few minutes this time, not hours. But it happened during the time you see below, when I had some Hyponea and OA's.  I thought about PES testing, but like you said, we already know I have OSA, so the invasive PES testing won't change anything. 

Last night I had a 45sec OA and 30sec OA. This is while wearing my dental appliance too. 

So I'm thinking if I should move forward with some non-invasive procedures to open my throat and airway in the back?

A local ENT does Injection Snoreplasty, that says it lifts the palate up, and he cuts the uvula. Sometimes I think I feel my Uvula hanging down in my throat and maybe that is what is causing partial obstruction?

As you can see from the Sleepyhead chart, even during times of no events, it kept the pressure raised, so obviously there is some flow limitation of some type going on.

[Image: 0Qymduq.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 17 606 6 hours ago
Last Post: bsroberts
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 65 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 18 609 04-20-2024, 01:21 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,169 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,492 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,282 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 111 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.