Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Violent episodes!
Violent episodes!
I am a retired Marine diagnosed with OSA.  Lately I've been having episodes such as last night where I am literally gasping and shaking to get air!  The VA has ordered a new sleep study and are going to get me a newer CPAP machine that should arrive shortly.  My wife is deployed now and it's just me and my young daughter and I can only ask the good lord to let me awake as I do, so that nothing happens to me while my wife is gone until next month.  I have been using my 7 year old CPAP but find it only complicates things at times.  Anyone ever have these types of episodes??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Violent episodes!
7 year old machine!
You have not put in your profile what the machine is, but it sounds like you might need a new one or even another type of machine.  I didn't notice if you put down what pressure it was set at or if it is just a cap or an app.  However it is clear you need some help to get sorted out.
In the meantime, try sleeping on your side, this will only help not stop you having events.  It sounds as if your having Obstructive events, though it could just as easily be central or a mix of both.
Without data it is difficult to tell what is going on.  I would be chasing up that new sleep study.  The world needs all the marines it can get to keep the world free of dictators and terrorists.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If your sleep position, but especially your neck, is potentially the problem for you, perhaps a soft foam cervical collar will help to keep you from tucking your chin as you sleep.  It's a surprisingly common problem, and eventually it causes some apnea in people.  The cervical collar will help, but not entirely prevent, the collapsing airway that comes with a deeply curved neck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had episodes like that before I started on CPAP.  Some were frightening indeed.  I'd guess that it is either positional as mesenteria suggested, or your machine is having mechanical issues due to its age, or the intervening years have left you in need of increased pressure.  Some data from SleepyHead would help narrow this down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did have episodes like you describe just before I got a CPAP machine.
They were a bit scary when I think back.  Wake up not knowing what was going on, trying desperately to get some air into your lungs as everything of use had been used, choking and a hart rate that would pump enough fuel to a jumbo jet engine to keep it going.
I have never had this after I got a CPAP machine though, if you are getting this, your pressure is either to low or you need a different type of machine.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepy, I say violent but these episodes feel like it's my last gasps of air and it scares the heck out of me!!   I am awaiting my new machine now and a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you and your wife for your service, what a challenge you both have to keep us safe, good luck with sleep study, read info on this forum. Thanks to the very knowledgeable people here, I was able to be informed about what to ask and do at my meeting with the Dr and DME to get proper equipment and also a copy of all reports and prescription for my records, you have a right to all paperwork. It will help in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSR Episodes txrpls 5 721 05-15-2022, 09:55 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  [CPAP] Violent awakenings gmcurt02 10 1,571 12-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  How common is it to suffer episodes of delirium from sleep deprivation? NoddingHacker 4 934 05-10-2020, 05:16 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Help w/Cheyne Stokes Respiration episodes last night anakranism 8 1,567 09-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
Surprised [Treatment] Clear Airway Episodes Creeping Up Sheepish 13 3,322 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  Not showing episodes on sleep report Tinylinda 5 1,627 07-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Are Occasional Episodes of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration Reason for Concern? Melman 5 2,108 02-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.