Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Virtual XP under Windows 7 ?
I run Windows 7, 64 bit. MS gutted the 16 bit part of the OS for 64 bit versions while retaining the 32 bit backward compatibility.

I have some old programs written in FORTRAN and compiled with a 16 bit compiler. All worked fine on my former XP 32 bit machine.

Can I setup a 32 bit virtual XP OS on my windows 7, 64 bit machine.
I have a virgin copy of 32 bit XP Pro.

(Not a dual boot -- just a virtual machine inside the Win7 OS shell.)

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-04-2014 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

RE: Virtual XP under Windows 7 ?
I never got around to trying it but here is a link to a description of the feature:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...-windows-7

This Google search should get you a lot of references: [ "windows 7" running | mode "Windows XP" ]

(The quotes are part of the actual search, the brackets are just to set it apart and should not be included.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
10-04-2014 06:41 PM
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(10-04-2014 05:41 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I run Windows 7, 64 bit. MS gutted the 16 bit part of the OS for 64 bit versions while retaining the 32 bit backward compatibility.

I have some old programs written in FORTRAN and compiled with a 16 bit compiler. All worked fine on my former XP 32 bit machine.

Can I setup a 32 bit virtual XP OS on my windows 7, 64 bit machine.
I have a virgin copy of 32 bit XP Pro.

(Not a dual boot -- just a virtual machine inside the Win7 OS shell.)

Hi Mongo,
If your Windows 7 is the "Professional" version, there is a free tool for it called "XP Mode". This tool sets up a Virtual Machine, and installs a copy of 32-bit Windows XP in it. XP Mode does not come preinstalled or even on the installation media, you must download it yourself, but there is no additional licensing charge for it, or for the virtualized copy of XP. You can then install applications to the XP as you wish. If you have an application installed in XP Mode that you use frequently, you can place an icon for it on the Win7 Desktop that will automatically start the VM, and then launch the application when you activate the icon.

As an alternative, you can install VMware Workstation from the VMware folks, and load any OS into it you wish, including DOS. VMware Workstation is not free, but I think you can find it fairly inexpensively, especially if you watch for specials. At my company, we have long experience with VMware products, and find them exceptionally stable, predictable, and perform well.

As another option, VMware distributes VMware Player for free. It can run VMware VMs, but not create them. If you can come up with a way to create a VM, then you can use VMware Player to run it similarly to VMware Workstation. If you are interested in this avenue, PM me and I'll be happy to discuss it.

Hope this helps.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
10-05-2014 12:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
MikeBY Offline

Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: nuance pro gel
Humidifier: integrated Airsense 10 + climateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: APAP 4-14
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since 2000, Old RemStar Plus LX/HC100/breeze. 'BOUT TIME I REPLACED IT !!

you can also run virtualbox which is a free (for personal use) d/l, has more options (like multi-cpu threads, etc.) than Win7 XP mode and does not require 'professional' to run.
Now owned by Oracle, but it's open source at it's heart..
10-05-2014 07:05 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks -- yes, it's Win 7, 64 bit Pro.
HerbM -- good to hear from you. Glad you are doing OK post surgery.

While we're on the topic, another solution would be a good open source FORTRAN compiler.
I've seen some; but, have not tried them. Since I am a dinosaur from the age of the Cold War, I'm still more proficient in FORTRAN than any other language. I'm not paying an arm and a leg for the Leahy compiler; nor the Intel compiler, since my coding these days is not for income generation.

Suggestions for an Open Source, 32 or 64 bit FORTRAN compiler/linker for windows?
GUI interface would be nice; but not essential.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 12:01 PM by justMongo.)
10-05-2014 11:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 219 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 769 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 436 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,098 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 378 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,023 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,800 09-16-2015 10:46 AM