Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Visited my Dr today for 1st visit since starting APAP
Visited my Dr today for 1st visit since starting APAP
First, let me say I love my Dreamstation and can't imagine sleeping without it! Thanks to the help here I fine tuned my pressures to 8-14 and dialed in my humidity to where I sleep amazing every night.  My average AHI over the last 90 days is 1.2   My Dr was a bit surprised when I told her I self adjusted my pressures thanks to help from an internet forum, but she couldn't argue with my results.

Here's the question though...after telling me how great I was doing she offered me another option, to go to a fixed pressure of 11 based on my 90% figures.   I declined as I couldn't see messing with success, but wonder why it was offered?   Am I missing out on some additional benefit by not trying the fixed pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Visited my Dr today for 1st visit since starting APAP
If you are sleeping fine, there is no reason to mess with it.

Some folk don't do well on Auto Cpap due to pressure changes which may disrupt sleep.
But since you don't seem to have that issue, there is no reason to change to straight cpap.

You may want to consider in time to raise your minimum pressure to 9cm. That would be closer to your 90% pressure reading.
But your AHI is pretty good.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you had a fixed CPAP rather than an auto, the 90% pressure from your auto trial is what I would recommend. I'll suggest you may eventually choose a slightly closer range with a higher minimum pressure, but as you know, there is no need to tolerate the higher 90% all the time unless you have sleep disruptions from changing pressure. Some people do better on fixed pressure, for many of us it simply doesn't have an adverse affect. Let your own comfort and success guide you to making good therapy decision.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At Opals suggestion I bumped my minimum to 9 and wow....my AHI last night was .46   Can't argue with the fact I crave that airflow when going to sleep.  Love this forum!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2017, 06:30 PM)speed3914 Wrote: At Opals suggestion I bumped my minimum to 9 and wow....my AHI last night was .46   Can't argue with the fact I crave that airflow when going to sleep.  Love this forum!!

Glad you are adjusting and getting decent results. Just remember that one night doesn't make a trend.
AHI readings can fluctuate. Let your settings ride for awhile, unless you are having problems.
Ask questions anytime.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many sleep docs don't "believe in" APAPs. They either never prescribe one or they use them as titration only. This is probably why the doc suggested going to straight CPAP.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 490 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 550 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 194 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.