Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vitamin C reduces CAs?
RE: Vitamin C reduces CAs?
(06-26-2015, 12:58 PM)DocWils Wrote: One of my favourite dinners is a blueberry fruit salad (blueberries, banana and apple in a bifidus yoghurt dressing) - that is a massive C boost,

I did smoothies out of that in the past year. This combo would make a great salad! Thanks for mentioning! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 01:21 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 12:58 PM)DocWils Wrote: One of my favourite dinners is a blueberry fruit salad (blueberries, banana and apple in a bifidus yoghurt dressing) - that is a massive C boost,

I did smoothies out of that in the past year. This combo would make a great salad! Thanks for mentioning! Thanks

Careful with smoothies, they are a massive sugar bomb - so is the salad, but less so and more easily absorbed by the body - probably because it takes more time to eat it....
Post Reply Post Reply
First night on Vit C. 500 mg standard and 500 mg delayed dose. I did see a reduction in CAs and in increase in Periodic Breathing waveforms. I will continue on that dosage for a while to get more results. If the Vit C seems to work at higher pressures I will eventually try to get permission to lower pressures to eliminate machine caused CAs and use the Vit C to reduce HAs and Periodic Breathing waveforms.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2015, 12:34 PM)richb Wrote: If the Vit C seems to work at higher pressures I will eventually try to get permission to lower pressures to eliminate machine caused CAs and use the Vit C to reduce HAs and Periodic Breathing waveforms.

Vit C is probably an inefficient way to determine that Periodic breathing and CAs caused by higher pressure and Pressure differentials between IPAP and EPAP are caused by Hypocapnea (low CO2). Other medications might be more appropriate if Vit C is shown in my case to have some moderate effect.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi richb,

in the meantime I tried some finetuning. The last night I set EPR to 0. That was not a good idea. The CA numbers did not improve, but on top I got more OAs and HAs and felt worse than usual. Vitamin C worked better for me with a double dose, time released, 2 pills with 500mg, shortly before going to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pizza41466,
I have tried Vit C for 3 nights now. Last night I tried 1000 mg at bedtime and 1000 mg at 3 AM. I got my worst numbers yet. AHI of 38 nearly all CAs. I had a 58 minute period with an AHI over 70. 1500 mg at bedtime gave me an AHI of 17 on a prior night. Tonight I am going to try 1500 mg at bedtime again. The jury is still out on Vit C. A medication called acetazolamide seems to be the first choice in treating CAs. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/304967-medication I am pretty upset about my numbers. I will stay in touch.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
How do you feel, when you get up, after having so many apneas? What is the SleepyHead count for the minutes in apnea for one night?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2015, 08:00 AM)pizza41466 Wrote: How do you feel, when you get up, after having so many apneas? What is the SleepyHead count for the minutes in apnea for one night?

I think I have been having sleep trouble for a long time. I generally feel just OK in the AM. I sometimes have a fuzzy head that takes a lot of coffee to clear up. Here are some numbers from last night: AHI 38.92 Hours slept 7:07:02 Total time in apnea 1:12:19. OA and HA are total under 1.0 virtually all CAs. You can see why I am concerned.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
It appears that the Periodic Breathing with and without apnea in very similar to the Periodic Breathing found in Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). Here is an article that discusses the mechanisms of AMS and includes a discussion of Periodic Breathing and the use of acetazolamide for treatment. http://jap.physiology.org/content/jap/10...3.full.pdf I will try to discuss this article with my Dr and his Techs. Interestingly, Ammonium Chloride was used in an experiment to acidify the blood of a patient to mimic the ability of acetazolamide to do the same through a different mechanism. Don't try Ammonium Chloride as it has severe side effects. The Periodic Breathing we see is different from Cheyne Stokes Breathing in that Cheyne Stokes respiration has a period of about 60 seconds. AMS style Periodic Breathing has a period of around 35 seconds. Otherwise the chart patterns look the same.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 01:23 PM)DocWils Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 01:21 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:

Careful with smoothies, they are a massive sugar bomb - so is the salad, but less so and more easily absorbed by the body - probably because it takes more time to eat it....

Absolutely true. I usually make one smoothie and split it with another family member. The blood sugar spike is pretty much the same as birthday cake with frosting. I tend to go days without eating fruit, so just trying to find ways of incorporating it in stuff I already make.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information [Health] Acetazolamide reduces central apneas, both altitude-induced and treatment emergent JoeyWallaby 9 1,820 02-28-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  Zero AHI with one weird trick? (Vitamin E) Russ6813 19 3,092 01-07-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Russ6813
  Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? fitmart 4 1,308 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Last Post: fitmart
Information Vitamin D & B's and Sleep Quality membus 13 4,839 10-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 23,985 10-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  [Treatment] Vitamin C for Central Sleep Apnea? dgossman 37 17,987 06-26-2015, 01:42 AM
Last Post: pizza41466
  [Equipment] Observation - using soap for facewash reduces leaks! Asjb 2 1,838 01-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Bompa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.