Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vitera headgear straps or mask liner?
Vitera headgear straps or mask liner?
It's been well over a year with a full-face mask -- now using the F&P Vitera full-face mask (this is my 3rd) and it's very good EXCEPT the headgear is absolutely cutting into my head -- top, sides and back.  Changing to the Vitera, the straps are at least NOT going across my cheeks and striping up my face!

I know I tighten my headgear way too much but if I don't, I get major air leaks.

So .......
does anyone use the velcro headgear straps?  I've looked for options but don't find anything to put on the strap that's ON top of my head -- even getting headaches from this strap.

Maybe if I use full face mask LINERS -- what's your opinion and choice for the Vitera.  Do they work -- having that extra layer of something between the mask and my face, will this lessen the air leaks?

One night I just took the mask off and slept without it -- my head was hurting so badly.  But I didn't sleep well and I know the CPAP ResMed AirSense 10 has been a great benefit to my sleep issues.  My settings are good on the machine --- it's just the headgear!!!

I just can't go on with straps hurting so badly.  I feel ridges in my head; even numbness across one temple.   I went to the place where I got my supplies and he said to just tighten the headgear to be 'firm' -- not too tight.  Well, if I'm lying on my back, not moving, I can do that.  First time I roll over, without the headgear being tight, the whole contraption moves and then I get air leaks.  It's hard to explain to those who don't use CPAP or deal with masks or headgear -- their opinions are good but I need help from any of you with same issues and finding RESULTS!!!

My scores often show I readjust my headgear frequently throughout the night.

Next option - I changed to the F&P nasal mask (not the pillow) and it was so light -- felt so good -- thought this would be a great change.  Well, the headgear was so light; again, once I moved around, the headgear and mask moved too -- there were the air leaks.  

I'm truly a mouth breather -- I TAPE my mouth.
The full-face mask has caused red marks on the bridge of my nose so I put band-aids on my nose -- the padding helps -- no red marks.
BUT all geared up, I look like an alien and frightful.  Thankfully, I live alone and if anyone broke into my house they'd run for their lives.  

Going on a trip to spend with family -- I'm actually FEARFUL!!!

It's frustrating and my head is aching!!!  Thank you FELLOW TEAM MEMBERS!  I know someone out there has same issues -- just help me find results.  This is causing anxiety and depression!!

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vitera headgear straps or mask liner?
Is it caused by over tight Vitera straps? I wear mine fairly loose and it's not the cause of any discomfort. My max leaks were at 9 for a 6.5 hour Titration where I took my Vitera. And I didn't adjust it after it sitting on the shelf for over as month.

PS if you're trying to control leaks on a Vitera by tightening you'll end up with more leaks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

I'm really going to try loosening my straps on the F&P Vitera full-face mask -- this headache and these dents in my head are killing me.

I also have the F&P Evora nasal mask -- I'm going to try using it again and loosening the straps.

I know this has been my problem -- it's just that MyAir reports are bad (even got an email from them about my mask leaks).

If I could stay in one position all night, that would help too but it's not going to happen!!

Ongoing .... and I'll keep on going!!

Thanks again!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow these steps on a Vitera and see if this changes discomfort and leaks.

Loosen all the velcro straps, bottom, top, and top o head.

Consider lying back on the bed, best to emulate sleeping position, then place mask on your face with loose straps. PAP is on running your therapy. If you run low pressure, maybe temporarily increase pressures while adjusting.

Hold mask in place with fingers and add a bit of tension by your fingers but not the straps yet. See if you can sense how hard to push to minimize leaks.

Slowly tighten lower strap set to mimic that finger tension.

Duplicate that for the upper set of straps.

Now you probably need to open the top o head strap. Loosen and then carefully pull the whole mask straight up and off your face and reposition it lower down your nose and closer to your chin on the lower end.

Re-settle it and edit the top o head strap to reflect that lower on face position.

Almost done. Deflect mask left & right a bit to see if leaking reveals itself.

The weak leak area is the nasal bridge for me. If this happens, either tighten top set or slightly loosen bottom set but only one or the other. After any adjustment a wiggle test should be tried.

The forehead bar should not touch you, it'll be close though.

The vent is pretty strong, don't confuse that with a leak.

OK see if that helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 297 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,656 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 438 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 350 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 421 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.