Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vivid dreams???
RE: Vivid dreams???
Welcome to Apnea Board, Shamambrian. Make sure you get a data-capable CPAP machine. Your Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME) might try to get you a low-end cheap non-data capable machine, but you must insist that you get a proper machine. Medicare and all insurance companies use the same billing code for CPAP machines - so you should not have to pay more for a data-capable one. They may try to give you a cheap machine at first - because they get reimbursed a flat $1500 to distribute CPAPs to patients, so it's in their financial interest to give you a $800 machine over a $1000 machine.

Read Archangle's article on recommended machines here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
(06-23-2012, 11:07 AM)antcyd Wrote: So I have been trying to get used to my CPAP for about 4 weeks now, things are better but there are still some nights I rip the damn thing off in the middle of the night. I have noticed that when I do that and go back to sleep without the mask I have very vivid dreams, like I am not in a fully deep sleep at any point . I had alot of this prior to getting the CPAP so I am wondering if all this dreaming is common with sleep apnea???

I have definitely noticed that I have had some of the most bizarre, perverse and twisted dreams at the height of my apnea. I also notice that when I remove the mask sometimes they change and almost always take a turn for the worse. It's like the intensity goes from bizarre to twisted to evil and at that point I wake up like WTF? I have a few theories for this, 1. I'm plagued by demons..just kidding...although it does feel like an episode of Nightmare on Elm Street meets Fellini

1. That somehow the intensity of the REM gets ratcheted up if I'm having restricted breathing in order to compensate for the limited sleep or
2. That these disturbing dreams are actually the primitive brains way of waking me because of the restricted airway.

Also I note that if morning comes and I wake and still want to sleep some more I often can't go back to sleep with the mask and at that time I remove it and fall back "asleep" but then I often have the aforementioned evil dreams. But with the mask I just seem to have normal bizarre dreams but not the crazy horror house nightmares.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you sleep without the mask you are causing brain damage. Your cardiovascular system is placed into a panic mode. You run the risk of a heart attack or stroke.

It's no surprise you're having bad dreams. Your body is trying to tell you something.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 03:51 PM)PollCat Wrote: Having been on PAP therapy for a long time, I no longer remember specific sleep/dream experiences before the CPAP. I do know that I have what I consider to be 'normal' dreams, in color; the only time I have scary dreams is when I'm running a fever.

Wow, PollCat, you wrote exactly what I would have wrote.....the fever thingy and everything. I've been on PAP for 12 years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Vivid Dreams is this normal? Apnope 8 785 05-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  Where did my dreams go ? DaveCar 7 786 09-10-2022, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  OSCAR Help: CPAP Therapy - Still Got 50+ AHI, Night Sweats, Horrific Dreams, Fatigue apegoneinsane 7 889 02-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreams Big Guy 10 2,105 01-24-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  What kind of dreams do you have? Rcgop 9 1,155 10-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Does sleep apnea cause nightmares and bad dreams? Does CPAP alleviate that? WWu777 10 2,512 05-25-2020, 05:21 AM
Last Post: WWu777

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.