Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VoIP not registering some robo/telemarketer calls.
As a side note; I found out that India has essentially copied our North American phone numbering system. Chances are very good that you can replace our Country code of "1" with "71", enter your phone number and will get a good number in India.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
Just never say "Yes" and anything in the affirmative. They use that to voice over an offline request.
Scammer: "Is this Mr. Mongo?"
Mongo: "Yes."
Scammer - Click

Then at their "recording studio" they replay your "Yes" answer to questions they never asked you.

Scammer: "My Mongo, we'd like to give you a lifetime magazine subscription to "Hairy Knuckles" for the low price of $1000. Shall we put in the order?"
Recorded Mongo: "Yes"
Scammer: "Great we'll get that order in for your right away. While I have you on the line, how would you like a ronco deluxe ginger root peeler for $18,000?"
Recorded Mongo: "Yes"
etc..

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Alan: I know about that scam.
The conversation would go more like this:
Scammer: "Is this Mr. Mongo?"
Mongo: "Who are you?"
Scammer: ......
Mongo: "Liar"
click
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Here's the real "say yes" phone scam:

You answer the phone and the person on the other end says, ‘can you hear me?’ Seems harmless — in fact, it happens all the time, so why would you think anything of it?

That’s exactly why criminals behind a new scam are using it as a ploy to trick unsuspecting consumers.

In fact, it’s actually a new twist on an old scam that was often carried out against businesses, according to the Better Business Bureau.

Beware of new ‘can you hear me’ phone scam

The idea of this phone scam is aimed at getting people who answer the call to say the word ‘yes.’

It may not seem like a big deal at the time, but it’s what the criminals can do later with that recording that’s dangerous to you, your information and your identity.

Once they have a recording on file of your voice saying ‘yes,’ scammers can then use it to authorize unwanted charges on bills, credit cards and more.

‘You say ‘yes,’ it gets recorded and they say that you have agreed to something,’ Susan Grant, director of consumer protection for the Consumer Federation of America, told CBS News.

The caller may also ask you to press a button to be placed on the ‘do not call’ registry, which is just a way for the crooks to find out if the number they called is active.

Bottom line: So don’t say anything and don’t press any buttons — just hang up.

Other ways the scammers might get you to say ‘yes’

If you get a call from a number you don’t recognize, you should always be skeptical of anyone who tries to get you to respond with a simple ‘yes.’

For example, here are a few ways scammers might get you to say it:

Can you hear me?
Are you the lady of the house?
Do you pay the household phone bill?
Do you pay the household bills?
Are you the homeowner?
You should be skeptical of any yes or no question that has no context provided by the caller.

The safest thing to do is to just hang up.

What scammers can do with a recording of you saying ‘yes’

How can crooks cause any damage if you didn’t provide your credit card number or other info over the phone?

They have your phone number and you saying ‘yes,’ which is often all they need to get the phone provider to pass through third-party charges.

Plus, the crooks may have already gotten their hands on some of your personal information through some other type of data breach. For example, they may have your cable bill or credit card number — and then when you dispute the charges, they can counter that they have your consent recorded.

How to protect yourself

If you think you may have already been a victim of this scam, check all of your statements line-by-line — including your checking account, credit card, cable bill, phone bill, utility bill and any other bill or account that contains your personal information and/or payment info.

If you see any charges you don’t recognize, call the billing company immediately and dispute the transactions. Also call your bank to make sure they are aware of what’s going on.

If you want to register your phone number on the government’s legitimate Do Not Call Registry, you can do so at DoNotCall.gov. But while that may stop real telemarketers and businesses from soliciting you, it won’t stop scammers.

So if you’re already on the list and a caller gives you the option to register for it, you’ll know that’s a crook on other end of the line.

Tips from the BBB to protect yourself against this scam:

Use Caller ID to screen calls, and consider not even answering unfamiliar numbers. If it’s important, they will leave a message and you can call back.

If someone calls and asks “Can you hear me?”, do NOT answer “yes.” Just hang up. Scammers change their tactics as the public catches on, so be alert for other questions designed to solicit a simple “yes” answer.

Make a note of the number and report it to bbb.org/scamtracker to help warn others. BBB also shares Scam Tracker information with government and law enforcement agencies, so every piece of information is helpful in tracking down scammers.

Consider joining the Do Not Call Registry (DoNotCall.gov) to cut down on telemarketing and sales calls. This may not help with scammers since they don’t bother to pay attention to the law, but you’ll get fewer calls overall. That may help you more quickly notice the ones that could be fraudulent.

Check your bank and credit card statements regularly for unauthorized charges. It’s also a good idea to check your telephone and cell phone bills, as well. Scammers may be using the “Yes” recording of your voice to authorize charges on your phone. This is called “cramming” and it’s illegal.
You can also sign up for a free service that blocks scam calls: Here’s one that blocks IRS phone scams and another option is Nomorobo, which blocks robocalls and other telemarketer solicitations.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The latest on the "Yes" scam is you answer and have to say hello twice before someone replies.  A giggly girl then says, "I'm sorry, I didn't have my headset on properly. Can you hear me now?" . . .
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
For some reason I get a call from London on my mobile every day in the late afternoon (early morning over there). When I answer with my normal friendly "who the f*** are you and what do you want?" there's nobody there. I block each number but there seems to be a different one every day. Obviously some sort of scam but they don't even talk to me, so I can't figure it out.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply

Oh, you use the same response I have on my answering machine.
(I wish I could get James Earl Jones to do a recorded greeting for me.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I setup my parents (who have a landline) up with NoMoRobo because my parents were complaining about getting too many robocalls.  It's been working great for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
My carrier suggested that I turn the Nomorobo feature off in their system. I did and so far it seems to have eliminated my problem. Thanks for all the replies.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

3 or 4 years ago I purchased a Panasonic KXTG6844 system which came with 4 phones and I purchased 2 more phones after that.  6 phones is the maximum it will handle.  It worked like a charm but after about 2 1/2 years we had 250 blocked numbers in there.

We decided to combine our cable, internet, and phone with the same carrier and they offered something called "Terminating Call Manager" which for a one-time charge of $30 has turned out to be wonderful.  No more robocalls, telemarketers, etc., as they get a message that we don't accept any of those kind of calls and they can press 1 to get through to us.  We can select certain numbers (I believe it's 25) from folks who call us often so they don't get the message.  I've Googled "terminating call manager" and it appears that prices vary, from a monthly charge to a one-time charge.  I'll recommend this product to anyone, as it's been a lifesaver.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Telemarketer Tactics Crimson Nape 75 6,835 02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Goldie54914
  Norfolk 911 calls for 'baby lion' turn up a coiffed dog cbramsey 4 1,571 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Ugly