Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Aromatherapy
CPAP Aromatherapy
So, I have been experimenting with aromatherapy. (Well, beyond eating chili)

I have taken precautions to not add the oils to any plastics because I know it can cause problems. I typically just place a drop on a piece of paper towel and place that on the outer layer of the hyper allergenic filter on my S9 Autoset.

If anyone has other experiments using aromatherapy, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

So far, I like
Peppermint
Lemon grass
Breathe (a combination of oils)
and Lavender.

I also had epiphany the other night. I had started some stew in the crock pot that morning. The weather here is changing to fall a bit. I was overcome with the wonderful warmth and aroma of the slow cooker all day and dinner was great. The family said we needed to make sure and do some more crock recipes. They wanted me to dust off my pea soup and ham bone recipe and tortilla soup recipe. The wife mention the chili relleno casserole. (Hungry yet?!) Anyway..I woke up at about 3am and was lying there doing my best impression of Darth Vader and it hit me!

As some of you know, I like to tinker. I posted a thread on here some months back about fixing my humidifier (still going strong by the way).

Below is a general schematic. I don't plan to copyright this idea, so feel free to let me know how it works for you. Be warned, obvious side effects will be midnight snacking and excessive pillow drool.
I think I have gained another five pounds just researching this project.

...and now...drum roll please...I GIVE YOU!!!!

RESMED CROCK HUMIDIFIER!
[Image: qg7n.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Aromatherapy
All I can say is...

YUM!!
Licklips

Big Grinnie
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Best laugh I've had today!! And I wasn't hungry until just now. Think I'll go dig my crock pot out of the bottom shelf of the cupboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, me too, got a couple hambones up in my freezer, it's 'bout time for some ham and beans, UhO!!
Not sure that's the aromatherapy you had in mind, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Years ago, when I had a pass-over humidifier, someone recommended that I put a drop of Downy Fabric softener into the water. While I like the smell of Downy on my shirts, the idea of blowing it up my nose was not an appealing idea and I never tried it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope the machine shop is open on Sunday so I can get may crock pot lid retrofitted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 09:55 PM)PollCat Wrote: Years ago, when I had a pass-over humidifier, someone recommended that I put a drop of Downy Fabric softener into the water. While I like the smell of Downy on my shirts, the idea of blowing it up my nose was not an appealing idea and I never tried it.

I have to be careful with certain perfumes and smells. I use fabric softener as well, but I can only suffer certain ones. I can't use spray on deodorants and body sprays because they are too overpowering for me. I can only use roll on deodorant.

My wife enjoys all these different sprays and candles, but I have to leave the room sometimes. She pretty good about spraying her body stuff on in the bathroom otherwise I jump awake and have to vacate the bedroom. It's kind of sad really, cause she even has a vanilla tea that she really likes and it fills the entire room with this smell that chases me out.

I don't normally get headaches, never have, but I can get an insta (in my eyes) headache anytime I want if I just walk down the laundry soap/softener aisle. Sometimes candle and incents shops can do it to me too. My throat seems to narrow, my voice gets hoarse...all the allergic reactions are there...even itchy skin.

As a boy, I only had a milk allergy (my mom bought me a goat and I milked her every morning before school for several years, because I couldn't handle cow milk. I also got in the habit of eating lots of cheese for my dairy intake.) and summer hay fever. Tall field grass pollen would set me off. Since I moved up to the great Northwest of Washington, pine pollen has affected me.

I got an allergy test done where they prick your back and I reacted to so many things that they had to give me a steroid shot before allowing me to leave. Apparently, about three years into my marriage, I overloaded my capacity and it made me overly sensitive now. We had three cats, feather pillows and comforters, and several other things that were adding to the load.

Anyway, long story short. I know that my allergies have contributed to my mouth breathing and snoring. I have a sensitive nose. I am experimenting with essential oils using a company that says they are strict about quality and purity.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] WARNING: AROMATHERAPY srlevine1 1 697 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  aromatherapy oils in cpap machine somnia16 26 22,710 03-23-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Doctor
  Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble nzbnate 19 4,205 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: CB91710
Surprised First full nights sleep thanks to Aromatherapy!!! antcyd 14 21,927 12-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Last Post: cate1898
Smile Aromatherapy With CPAP Kakkles 27 9,387 10-25-2015, 12:40 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.