Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARNING - POSSIBLE RESMED KNOCK-OFF
Angry 
WARNING - POSSIBLE RESMED KNOCK-OFF
Just saying...

BEWARE OF FOREIGN SITES -- It appears that there might be some knock-offs of mask cushions (and who knows what else) floating around. I saw one package where ResMed was spelled with two m's ResMMed.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARNING - POSSIBLE RESMED KNOCK-OFF
Where did you see the fake cushions? Other than the spelling, was there any other reason to be suspicious?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 11:51 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: BEWARE OF FOREIGN SITES -- It appears that there might be some knock-offs of mask cushions (and who knows what else) floating around. I saw one package where ResMed was spelled with two m's ResMMed.

Can you PM me with a link to where those mask cushions are being sold?  I'd be interested in seeing that.  I know there's an incentive to produce "knock off" products like that, but I'd like to see the site personally, and perhaps we can warn folks about it (without posting the commercial link on the forum somehow).

Thanks.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
These days the same company that makes official cushions makes the knock offs from the same mold. If there is no smell, and the silicone is crystal clear, there should not be a problem. I assume though it's cheaper?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2019, 06:06 AM)crowtor Wrote: These days the same company that makes official cushions makes the knock offs from the same mold. If there is no smell, and the silicone is crystal clear, there should not be a problem. I assume though it's cheaper?

I'd curious. What's your basis for this statement?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow thanks for the warning srlevine1.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 11:51 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Just saying...

BEWARE OF FOREIGN SITES -- It appears that there might be some knock-offs of mask cushions (and who knows what else) floating around. I saw one package where ResMed was spelled with two m's ResMMed.

Given the big market for CPAP masks, and the high markups by OEMs, it would be unsurprising if there are counterfeits.

A photo of one of these mislabeled products would be interesting to see. I did find a "ResmMed Quattro™/AirFit F10" listed online, but I can't tell if that is a typo. Counterfeiters don't necessarily misspell the name of the product they are copying and the website claims it is manufactured by "RESMED CORP".

The same website also sells green camouflage headgear for the Quattro by "RESMED CORP" and I thought "Ha! That has to be counterfeit!" But, alas, no. Resmed actually does sell camo headgear. It's listed in their official product list, item 16120.

So, I can't tell if the mask is legit or not. Folks can Google "ResmMed Quattro™/AirFit F10" if they are curious.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't see the camo version of the masks. FWIW Although not CPAP equipment, someone was selling Fokely sunglasses and Bolex watches a few years ago. So I would not be surprised to discover ResmMed and maybe Respronix or Fisher and Payless equipment for discount sales.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good thing to know! So far, I've been getting my CPAP supplies from my DME supplier. 

I have purchased a couple of items off the net. I'm careful though to make sure what I want is what I get.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2019, 09:43 AM)Melman Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 06:06 AM)crowtor Wrote: These days the same company that makes official cushions makes the knock offs from the same mold. If there is no smell, and the silicone is crystal clear, there should not be a problem. I assume though it's cheaper?

I'd curious. What's your basis for this statement?

1. Money. Molds cost a fortune, it wouldn't be sensible to produce a mold for making clone cushions to a single mask.

2. Quality. Chinese manufacturing has skyrocketed when it comes to quality, you can buy an iphone clone for 1/5th the price and the quality is the same as the real deal, as far as appearance goes, usually clones being made in the same factory that does the original, only with changed or no branding.

3. I got a few s10 blower motors directly from the company that makes them fresh from the line, you wouldn't be able to get them separately yourself from anywhere else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [CPAP] Can you get a warning about no SD card? jerrykur 8 626 08-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,245 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
  CHINESE KNOCK-OFF CPAP srlevine1 7 1,365 06-15-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  [Equipment] Warning: Malware found on Contec RS01 gnluna 14 1,783 01-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: selfcoacher
  [News] WARNING: AROMATHERAPY srlevine1 1 704 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [How to] WARNING: RESMED WATER CHAMBER MISTAKE srlevine1 3 3,494 04-13-2021, 04:47 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.