WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming]
worthog Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 18
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming]
Recently I downloaded an app for my Samsung S3 called "Easy battery Saver" and it killed my phone. It wont turn on and I believe the app had a virus attached to it.

This was a suggested app to download by another member on this forum in another posting.

We are very disappointed to have this happen to our Samsung and hope it wasnt a setup.

The phone will need to go back to the factory to get reset as none of the local dealers I have been into can reset it.

Warning to all readers, take heed, dont do what I did.

Happy sleeping
From Worthog in Brightwater (Mountain Creek)Oh-jeez
11-16-2012 04:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Allen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX with SeaTec chin strap
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8.0 to 18.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: WARNING WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD
I just Googled searched it and from the comments and the ratings it is getting which are 4 & 5 stars it doesn't appear that others are having any problems with a virus download
11-16-2012 04:15 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

It is not a virus but contains malware called Android.Ackposts according to Symantec. It was noted by them and by ZDNet and a few others back in July.

Do a Google search for "Android.ackposts" to find more on this.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-16-2012 04:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Did you get the app from the official Google Play Store or from a third-party website?

I wouldn't download from a third party website unless you're 100% sure that it's free of malware or viruses.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

11-16-2012 06:52 PM
worthog Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro FX
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 18
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

RE: WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD
I downloaded it from the google Play store

The Samsung has gone into hospital now to be sort, will report back once its all fixed

In the meantime I have powered and livened my old Nokia phone to keep me going

Happy sleeping
From Worthog in Brightwater (Mountain Creek)Oh-jeez
11-16-2012 10:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
dcgrafix Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Philips Respironics System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (461CA)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro Large
Humidifier: Respironics System one
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Diabetes type 2

That sux!!
I can't believe the energy & talent that is put into this type of thing!
Just think of the positive outcome that could be generated by putting this kind of energy to good use.
11-17-2012 03:09 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

So far from what I've read, this is not an intentional virus or any type of malware. Instead, it's simply a problem with the way this particular app interacts with some phone models, and instructions are given for how to restore the phone when this happens.

That's different from a virus or malware. Does that mean everything is fine? Nope, I won't be using this app for that reason-- just don't want to risk it. However this software issue is not a virus or malware in the pure sense of the word, as far as what I can tell.

A lot of folks are screaming "VIRUS, VIRUS" on this app, but that doesn't' necessarily make it so. It's easy to attribute a problem to maliciousness when what is more likely is just plain incompetence.

I'm changing the title of this thread to better reflect what's actually happening here.

BUT, that said, I would NOT RECOMMEND "Easy battery Saver" to Android users because of this issue.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

11-17-2012 09:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
b360155 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX & Quattro Air
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50-D Plus Pulse Oximeter!

RE: WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming]
Just got back from a weekend getaway trip and wanted to add a few comments. First of all, to worthog, if you downloaded Easy Battery Saver on your Samsung Galaxy S3 and it killed it, my sincere apologies. However, I am just your average Joe Android phone user that has used this app for over a month with zero negative issues and it has improved my battery life significantly. Please note that this is one of the highest rated battery saving apps on the Android Play Store. I researched the app before I installed it on my phone and the comments I read about issues with this app had to do with network connectivity issues, not any viruses and not any spam or android.ackpost stuff.

I've already explained the reasons why some users were having network connectivity issues and how to resolve it in the other Android thread in the O-T Forum. The app does change some of the network settings because that's how it conserves considerable battery power. It shuts down mobile data and background sync when the phone is not in use. Without the app, those functions continue to run even though your phone's screen is turned off in the background and drain the phone's battery. For me, I prefer to conserve battery power by letting my phone sleep when not in use and then re-enable these functions when I power the screen back on. People that were having network connectivity issues were not reading the app's description and directions. There's another battery saving app out there called "Juice Defender" that a lot of people like and it does the same thing, shutting down some background functions when the phone is not in use to conserve battery. Besides turning down screen brightness and timeout duration and turning off Bluetooth, Wifi and GPS, there really aren't any other ways to obtain significant battery savings on an Android smartphone.

As for the android.ackpost issue, I Googled that issue tonight and read through a number of articles and I think some of you are mistakenly linking the "Easy Battery Saver" app to these articles. I see references to "Battery Saver" and "BatteryLong.apk". What is described is some Japanese spam emails that are being circulated that contains a link to a bogus battery saving application that can steal contact information from your phone. It is not referring to the "Easy Battery Saver" app or to any application that is made available through the Android Play Store in any article that I read. Unfortunately, app names can be very similar or even the same sometimes as app names attempt to be descriptive but also short and to the point. If someone has access to any article that specifically ties "Easy Battery Saver" to this android.ackpost issue, I'd appreciate it if you would share it with me.

We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
11-19-2012 12:16 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming]
My apologies. You are right. The ZDNet article doesn't even mention the name of the app. It was the top search result. That's what I get for scanning vs actually reading it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

11-19-2012 12:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered ApneaNews 3 784 11-10-2014 04:59 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
Exclaimation Have you heeded the FBI's Warning? [NOTE FROM ADMIN: VIRUS ALERT JULY 9TH, 2012] PollCat 43 14,927 10-03-2012 05:21 PM
Last Post: zonk
  I have a warning percent spot kitley 6 2,487 08-26-2012 02:40 PM
Last Post: lonnieb