Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
RE: WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected; When the power goes out
jeffy1958 Wrote:
Quote:Its very easy to screw up and cause a backfeed situation

As an electrician this can only happen if you hook this generator up WHOLE HOUSE wrong and that would be through your main power panel. If you set it up in your garage - make darn sure of good ventilation, plug your output through a good qaulity surge protector, run you essentials off that s.p. (and as an electrician I have to tell you that you are not suppose to hook any thing up using an extention cord!!! - my disclaimer.) When the power comes back on you do not run the risk of electrocuting any line worker.

And all those who read this should give those guys a big hug and thank you. You do not realize what they go through to get your power back on!!! Please do not P & Moan if it isn't on within 2 minutes. They get called out in the middle of the night, drive to there equipment, climb the poles, remove the down trees, etc; etc; all in some very not so pleasant weather conditions. Congrats Well-done Amazing Good-work Thanks

Goofy;
I can''t say enough. You line workers are my hero's. You take a lot of crap that ain't your fault. Give yourself and every other line worker a big salute, hats off, hug, hand shake, and thanks you from me!!!

Sincerely;

Jeff M. (Wisconsin - where the weather isn't always the best!!!)
Post Reply Post Reply
Papa Goat Wrote:I've got a back up generator in the shed. I shut the main breaker off in the house, then back feed the outlet in the shed. I have my furnace, hot water heater and a few outlets and lights in the house that are working. My machine has a alarm on it, when the electricity goes off, it sounds off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:I am NOT an electrician either, but I "believe" that the real danger is to the Utility company linemen working on the lines.

Don't remember the theory of why that is, but "I" would NOT do it.
That is what whole house generators are made for.

Don't want to sound like Respiratory Chip, but in this instance, this should be left to the experts.
Post Reply Post Reply
jeffy1958 Wrote:Danger - Will Robinson - Danger!!!

Quote:I shut the main breaker off in the house, then back feed the outlet in the shed.

This is what Goofy was talking about. Unless Papa Goat knows what he's doing, or a QUALIFIED electricician does this I would disconnect it imediately if not sooner. The backfeed can injur some one.

.05 mill amps across you heart and you can die!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
A Note Concerning The Japanese Earthquake Today

As we think and pray for the survivors in the massive Japanese earthquake and tsunami, it gives us reason to pause this week and think about our own preparedness.

Many in Japan will be without electrical power for weeks. They will be without clean drinking water for weeks. They will be without telephones for weeks. They will be without Internet for weeks. They will be without normal banking operations for weeks. No way to purchase goods, foods and medicines. They will be struggling to return to any sort of normality for a long, long time.

Even if you're not in a high-risk earthquake area, a coastal area, or another high-risk zone, trust me, no matter where you live, it can happen to you. The emergency can be national, state-wide, county-wide, city-wide or only in your neighborhood. It can be just you personally and those who live with you.

There are many fault lines in the U.S., even here where I live in the Midwest. Who knows, whether it might be a biological, nuclear or chemical Terrorist attack - Nuclear power station emergency and associated radiation risk - weather related disasters such as floods, tornadoes or hurricanes, fires, etc. The prepared person stands a much better chance of survival.

Do have a backup plan for electricity? Heat? Water? Food? Shelter?

I again plead for our members to seriously consider personal preparedness:

Are YOU prepared?

Thanks for listening.

Quote:Preparedness Quotes:

At least once every human should have to fight for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. -- Author Unknown

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy. --Max Mayfield, Director National Hurricane Center

Remember; when disaster strikes, the time to prepare has passed. -- Steven Cyros
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
archangle Wrote:If you run your generator inside an attached garage, SOMEONE'S GOING TO DIE. Even if you have good ventilation, unless it's a properly designed system to vent through the roof. I don't even know if such a ventilation system exists.

It happens around here every time there's a big power outage and whole families (or just the kids) die.

This is a good way to earn a Darwin award.

NEVER FEED YOUR HOUSE POWER WITH A GENERATOR unless you have a properly wired automatic transfer switch. Even if you think you know how to cut off power at the main breaker. You could kill a utility worker. The utility companies have threatened to press manslaughter chargers against people who do this.

If you don't get a properly wired system, use extension cords and plug individual devices into them.
Post Reply Post Reply
archangle Wrote:Battery management is tricky.

Many people have felt comfortable with their backup battery systems only to find that when they need them, they look like they're charged, but don't actually hold enough charge to work well. Batteries that have sat for a long time tend to become weak. They may show a good voltage, but when you try to use them, they don't have much charge. Think of what happens when a car battery dies. You give it a full charge, but when you try to crank the car, and it turns a few times and dies.

A "trickle charger" sounds like the correct answer, but a lot of "trickle chargers" will slowly ruin your battery if you leave it connected all the time.

I've found the Schumacher model SE-1-12S charger doesn't eat my batteries like a lot of them do. I've probably got about 20 accumulated "battery years" with one of these and haven't had any battery problems. They will take a long time to recharge the battery if it's run down, but they keep it in good shape. For an extra layer of protection, get a 1 week on/off light timer and program it for about 8 hours on time per week. This will keep the battery charged unless it gets discharged. If it gets discharged turn the charger on full time for a week or so.

You should run something off the battery once a year or so and be sure that it's actually holding a charge. Batteries eventually lose their capability to hold a charge, even if you do everything right.

Even on a deep cycle marine battery, DO NOT run it all the way down unnecessarily. It's always harmful to any lead acid battery to deep cycle it. It's just that marine batteries get damaged a little less than starter batteries.

Always put a fuse in the power lead AT THE BATTERY.

If you use other types of batteries or chargers, make a schedule and charge them once a month or so. Lots of people have backup batteries but forget to charge them and find they're useless when an emergency happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
AMS40 Wrote:oh wow I havent even thought of the power going out glad this was brought up.. I need to look into this I dont even know much about my machine just got it last week.. its funny Im reading this tonight tho I was woke up at 5am to a bad storm and its suppose to storm again tonight so this post really has me thinking and I should learn more about my machine! thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
HeadGear Wrote:
Quote:As we think and pray for the survivors in the massive Japanese earthquake and tsunami, it gives us reason to pause this week and think about our own preparedness.

The Japanese experience certainly got me thinking! I have two marine batteries and a smaller gel battery, DC adapter and cables. The batteries are periodically trickle charged. I do have older CPAP units for backup, lots of camping gear, a supply of food, and a hunting rifle. I thought of getting a generator but realize fuel would quickly become unavailable. What else to do? Went to Costco and bought a solar panel kit, 55 Watts. If there is enough light, I can charge batteries. I think that this is about all I can do! Living in an earthquake zone, one hopes for good luck that the house stands or, at least, does not come down with your family in it!
Eb
Post Reply Post Reply
archangle Wrote:In a pinch, you could take a marine battery, hook it to your car battery with the engine running and "jump start" it to charge it up. You'd need to keep the engine running for a while, though. Works until you run out of gasoline for the car.

Be sure to follow proper jump start procedures for the car battery. Especially be sure to make the last ground connection to the frame of the car, not the battery, and disconnect that connection first.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,479 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 628 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 231 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,437 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 406 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.