Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
RE: WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
You want a really good machine for home. One that is data capable. Don't get a Resmed with 'Escape' in the name or a Respironics with 'Plus' in the name.

As for taking one out in the wild, you can take your regular machine or get another one on Craigslist that you won't mind it getting dropped from a tree. The Resmed S9 series are two parts. One is the humidifier and is removable. It is very lightweight. If you want a better one with some kind of warrenty, check out Supplier #2 in the supplier's list. They have gently used and open box machines, some are available without the humidifier which drops the price. You don't want the humidifier since it is a huge power draw when on battery.

There's also a CPAP that is ultra lightweight and about the size of a soda can. Crap, can't remember the name. Inspire?

Read through this thread and check out what others are saying and suggesting. There's a battery pack that is rechargable that some people use.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2012, 10:15 PM)Tinataz Wrote: I did my sleep study this past Sunday night, I found out today that the doctor is putting me on cpap. I do not know how severe my sleep apnea is but wanted to get some advice. My husband and I are avid hunters and we also participate in living history events where electricity is not available. Suggestions on what I should request or require my machine to have????
welcome to the forum - are you going to have another study with CPAP to determine pressure or going send you home with an auto machine
in any case you want data capable machine and the two most popular machines: Resmed and Phillips Respironcis
Resmed: S9 Autoset or S9 Elite (Not Escape or Escape Auto)
PR System One Auto or Pro (Not Plus or REMstar SE) ... the newer ones 60 series machines comes with heated hose

ask for copies of the sleep study and the prescription for you to keep
if insured .. the prescription should specify type of the machine so the DME don,t give something else
for example: S9 Autoset - pressure range 6/12 - humidifier - climate line (sometimes its an optional extra) mask of choice and DISPENSE AS WRITTEN. its essential to get the mask right but its normal to try several masks to find the right one

Post Reply Post Reply
I did a split study so I wouldn't have to have a second one (since it runs in the family it wasn't a surprise). The tech came in at some point during the night and put the mask on me. I tried several masks on before I went to sleep and picked the one that was the most comfortable but I don't know what it was called. I just didn't want to go into my visit to get the diagnoses and the machine uneducated. My Mom and my brother are fairly new cpap users but neither one would be roughing it without electricity. Just thought I would get suggestions so I didn't have to go the expense of getting multiple machines. I have read all the threads and decided to join the forum to get suggestions from those with more experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
You wouldn't have to get two, no. But if there's a risk of doing damage to one, then a second one would be best. Your insurance might not replace a machine used like that.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics and ResMed are the two most popular manufacturers on this board. Respironics machines run directly off 12-volt DC electricity so they are easier to hook up to a car battery. A deep-cycle battery is preferred with a solar charger, but your needs may vary. For example, if your camp site is not accessible by vehicle, and you have to pack in your supplies, you may want a lighter lithium-ion battery.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do have a generator, be safe... and it never hurts to safely store a couple 5-gallon cans of gasoline outside in a shed or garage. Just remember to be very safe.

Remember, when there are extended power outages, gas stations have no electricity to pump the gas out of their tanks. This was a major problem with this storm - only a few gas stations were open with emergency generator power, and it created HUGE lines at the pumps.

You really don't want to be waiting in one of the "gas lines" we're seeing with Hurricane Sandy:

[Image: gas-lines-New-jersey-sandy1.jpg]

[Image: bilde?Site=C0&Date=20121101&Category=NJN...-power-gas]

[Image: 1101-gaslines_full_600.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Related News Article:

Here’s Why There’s No Gas In The Northeast

By Henry Blodget

Having survived the hurricane (with scars), New York and New Jersey are now afflicted with massive gas lines.

In some places, these lines are reportedly many hours long. They're reminding people of the energy crisis of the 1970s.

That crisis, you will recall, was caused by a disruption in oil supply from the Middle East. In other words, it was a supply problem.

So, what's causing the lines this time?

We asked folks on Twitter. Here are some of the (sensible) theories that came back:

There's still no power in many areas, so everyone needs gas to run their generators (DEMAND)
There's still no power in many areas, and gas stations can't pump without power. This has increased the load on the stations that do have power and sucked their tanks dry. (SUPPLY)
There's limited public transportation, so everyone has to drive (DEMAND)
Everyone's panicked that they'll run out of gas (DEMAND)
Refiners can't refine and deliver gas without power (SUPPLY)

On this last point, we heard from a former oil analyst who added some details:

It requires electricity to run a refinery, open ports to offload barges, and electricity to pump gas. Major major infrastructure issue. Generators add to demand but they don't use up high-test. And yes you can't run a gas station without power.

Fair use applies, from:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-tic...54745.html
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Really appreciate all the comments. I got a Resp 460, it is 12 volt compatible. My husband didn't get the marine battery from our boat charged so I didn't have it last night. 4 nights on it I could tell a major difference, wasn't able to use it last night and couldn't sleep (staying awake in the deer stand was impossible). Needless to say my husband has the battery on the charger now!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2012, 07:57 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: If you do have a generator, be safe... and it never hurts to safely store a couple 5-gallon cans of gasoline outside in a shed or garage. Just remember to be very safe.

Unfortunately, the gasoline sold in the US goes bad in a few weeks in storage. The oxygenates added to reduce pollution makes the gasoline break down quickly, and the corn ethanol absorbs water quickly.

You can add some stuff called "stabil" to try to help, but storage lifetime is still pretty bad.

If you want it to work, you basically have to fill up your storage tanks before the potential event and then pour the gas into your car if the event doesn't happen.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2012, 06:08 PM)archangle Wrote: Unfortunately, the gasoline sold in the US goes bad in a few weeks in storage. The oxygenates added to reduce pollution makes the gasoline break down quickly, and the corn ethanol absorbs water quickly.
You can add some stuff called "stabil" to try to help, but storage lifetime is still pretty bad.
If you want it to work, you basically have to fill up your storage tanks before the potential event and then pour the gas into your car if the event doesn't happen.

I just bought some Sta-Bil ™ the other day. The label says that Sta-Bil is good in the bottle for two years, and is guaranteed to keep gasoline fresh for twelve months. I have four five-gallon gas cans, so I plan to fill them up now, then pour into the car next summer.

My generator burns about five gallons every twelve hours, so that should be enough for two solid days of blackout. The generator puts out 4000 watts, which will keep the refrigerator, freezer, television, computer, CPAP, and a few lights running, even at half load.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,067 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 980 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.