Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
RE: WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
(11-11-2012, 07:10 PM)JJJ Wrote: guaranteed to keep gasoline fresh for twelve months.

"if you are not fully satisfied, send us your receipt and we will refund your purchase price."

i.e. You get the cost of the product back, not the cost to repair your engine.

However, Sta-bil is probably a good product. I use it. I just don't know if the guarantee means that much.

Sta-bil also has a separate "ethanol treatment" to prevent damage from ethanol. I don't know if you need both products.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected; When the power goes out
(02-29-2012, 08:11 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Bumping this thread for Apnea Board member Alsacienne, who asked about alternative power for CPAP.

Are YOU prepared? Thinking-about

Oh, I know what you're thinking... it can't happen here... it won't happen to you.

Uh huh... Annoyed-and-disappointed

Post Reply Post Reply
I found out the hard way when the power went out over night and I woke up gasping. I started off with a battery and a small inverter, later I found that a computer ups system or un-interupted power supply worked best, with the built in charger keeping the batts at peak it automaticly switches over to back up during power outages so I just sleep right through it only finding out when I awake and find my clock out. 5 years its been going now and never failed me once..
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 10:26 AM)need4sleep Wrote: later I found that a computer ups system or un-interupted power supply worked best

A regular UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) designed for computers (like you'd buy at WalMart, BestBuy, OfficeMax or OfficeDepot, etc) are woefully inadequate for extended power outages.

A regular office UPS will only give you around 3-4 hours of power for the average CPAP, tops.

UPS is a very poor solution for anything other than a very brief (less than 3-4 hour) power outage. Large lead-acid 12-volt deep cycle batteries (or equivalent), along with a way to charge them (preferably off-grid charging method) is the only real solution for longer term outages.

See earlier in this thread for further details, HERE.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, after reading this entire thread, I'm fairly sure that whatever I do, it will not be enough! If only we had whole house fuel cells by now! Plus I need to spend several thousands of dollars, getting a whole house surge protector, a battery backup system, and solar panels, just to survive for the upcoming calamity!
However, as an interim measure, I am thinking of a Duracell Powerpack 600 (26AH battery) ($160) to power my ResMed S9 Autoset (I will disconnect the humidifier during the outage(s)). I believe it has a 600W modified sine wave waveform inverter for 3 A/C outlets and one 12V DC output. The questions I have is:

1) Do I need or would it be more efficient to spend another $85 for the Resmed s9 12v converter (# 36970)? I believe the S9 Autoset brick will handle the MSW, but I wonder if I can get more hours out of the battery if I use the new 12V converter. Do I NEED to spend the extra $85? Would a PowerVerter 150W ($30) work just as well?

2) If I decide to go with A/C power, perhaps I should get an UPS that provide pure sine wave output? This would provide surge protection, and handle any momentary/short term power losses. I currently have the S9 brick plugged into a switched outlet so that for 16 hours each day, the brick is not drawing any power. Works fine except when my wife turns off the wrong switch! :-)

Living in New England, the house is already wired for an external gas generator, which will keep the furnace, water system, refrigerator, microwave and a few LED lights up and running. This would allow me to recharge the Powercell each day. We have used the generator in the mornings and evenings during several day long outages without any issues.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
A 1500VA pure sine UPS is not a bad solution for a night without power. It's basically an AGM lead acid battery with a smart charger, a sine wave converter a surge protector; and an automatic switchover. Get the humidifier turned off ASAP for max run time.

For longer run time, lead Acid batteries such as a 35 AH, AGM 12 Volt battery are big; and in a space limited environment like mine; I have no place to put them.
Lead Acid Batteries need to be kept on an appropriate float charge to keep them charged and avoid sulphation of the lead plates. So, if you build your own, you need a smart charger for the battery, and an inverter or converter from your machine's manufacturer.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading this thread, although old, it occurs to me you all must be city dwellers.

Here in the frozen north YOU MUST HAVE alternate power if your in the bush.

We have a 15,000 watt propane generator supplied with a monster tank. We could live like normal for a month or more. Mostly everyone around us is the same.

Many times I've awaken because of no air in my mask. I just wait 10 seconds 'till the generator starts and then roll over and go back to sleep.

It's really the only thing you can do.... and yes our propane dealer will deliver on demand with no extra charge should the tank get low.

Post Reply Post Reply
Pure sine wave inverters have a reputation for being inefficient compared to MSW, especially if you're only using a small percentage of it's power capability.

e.g. if you have a 1000 watt inverter and the CPAP only draws 30 watts, it's very inefficient.

Check the specs, but be careful. It may claim something like 90% efficiency, but that's only at full load.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Luckily we have a generator that can run our entire home. All it needs is fuel. About 3 months ago we were without power for almost 2 weeks. a Generator is definitely a life safer!!
Regards
Natasha Kleinhans
This is how I feel lately:
Hammer
Post Reply Post Reply
just sleep in a recliner.

/end thread.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,001 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,402 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 979 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.