Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
RE: WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out
I have the DC power cord with a 12 volt deep cycle battery. I use the DC hook up when camping in areas without electricical camper hook ups. The most I have used the DC system is for three nights without using the heated humidifier (it draws a lot more power).
When using the DC hook up, it looks like there is still 75% power left in the battery after 3 nights, but I don't really know just how long the battery would last.
P.S. I also have a battery charger to recharge the battery when a AC outlet is available.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2015, 11:10 AM)Konnarock Kid Wrote: When using the DC hook up, it looks like there is still 75% power left in the battery after 3 nights, but I don't really know just how long the battery would last.

For most consumer-grade "marine" 12-volt, lead-acid "deep cycle" batteries, to discharge it much below an 70-80% discharge too many times will eventually damage the battery's future storage capacity. The term "deep cycle" in these types of batteries (that usually sell for less than $120 or so) really doesn't mean "deep cycle", unfortunately. Most of those types are hybrid mixes of "starting" and "deep cycle" with far less lead that true deep cycles. As such, they can be cycled to lower levels than standard auto 12-volt batteries, but not a whole lot more and definitely not too often, unless you don't mind ruining the battery's capacity to re-charge properly.

On my 12-volt lead acid deep cycle hybrids, I never allow them to get below an 80% charge - ever.

Here's one chart showing the open-terminal charge in volts (not under a load) and the corresponding state of the charge as a percentage... but keep in mind, this is for industrial deep cycle batteries and not for the cheaper 12-volt hybrid deep cycles you buy in most auto stores, marine stores or "big box" stores -- so in a hybrid type battery the "red zone" should really be closer to 60 or 70 percent... and also keep in mind that open-terminal charges are not necessarily that accurate, and a battery load tester is more accurate, or you can also use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the fluid. A battery can have relatively "normal" open-terminal voltages, but that may have no bearing on the actual capacity under a load.

[Image: voltchart1.gif]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.
That is a lot of useful information. My deep cycle battery isn't supposed to be a hybrid and it cost a lot more than 120 bucks.
Anyway, I will follow your table and not let it get below 80%
I think I am going to enjoy this forum.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2015, 04:36 AM)lab rat Wrote: just sleep in a recliner.

/end thread.

Geez, if sleeping in a recliner was the cure for apnea, why would anyone use CPAP?

Sleeping in a recliner may give some degree of relief for some people. Not everyone gets much or any relief.

I sleep in a recliner because of my back, but it definitely still need CPAP.

However, sleeping in a recliner is worth trying if the power is out.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
bs'd
Welcome to my world, ladies and gentlemen.:grin: I live in Jerusalem, Israel & we just had a "weather event" for almost a week. It snowed about an inch & it stopped the country in its tracks. I know you are all thinking "What a bunch of babies!", but remember that this is the desert. Imagine if y'all had sandstorms in NY, NJ etc. Thank G-d, we only lost power for 10 minutes. I have a spare O2 tank, but I did miss my BiPAP & the stress was none too health in as much as I have bronchitis right now. I am listening for any good ideas and may call my BiPAP company tomorrow. Thanks in advanceThanks, RivkySleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Five years ago we installed a home backup generator that starts up when prime power fails. This was in the wake of a two week outage before I was ever on cpap. It was expensive I'm not gonna lie but at least we won't freeze. My cpap machine is plugged into a computer uninterrupted power supply so when the power goes off and in the 10 seconds it takes for the generator to start up and assume the load of the house, the cpap keeps going. Only way I will know something happened is when I walk to the other side of the house and hear it running. Expensive but it has been proved to be a great investment several times over
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2015, 02:23 PM)Rivky Wrote: I am listening for any good ideas and may call my BiPAP company tomorrow.

No if's, and's, or but's, if you're doing this in a fixed location, such as your home, the easiest solution is a lead acid battery or two. Think something the size of a car battery. A car battery will actually work, but a "deep cycle" battery will last through more power outage cycles. Do your regular maintenance, and replace the battery every 5 years or so.

One battery the size of a car battery should give you several nights worth of CPAP.

Fancier batteries, such as AGM or gel cells, have the advantage of not being spillable. Lithium batteries are lighter but much more expensive. If you're not moving them around, it doesn't matter that much.

You'll need the appropriate DC cable/power converter for your VPAP III. I believe it won't run the heated humidifier on DC.

You can also use an AC inverter, but it will waste some power and cost you some run time. I believe for the VPAP III, you'll have to have a pure sine wave inverter, which is more expensive and usually even less energy efficient. You can probably use a normal "modified sine wave" inverter with the VPAP III as long as you remove the humidifier. MSW inverters will damage the heated humidifier for S8 series machines.

Many of them now have "stepped approximation to sine wave," which is sort of somewhere between MSW and pure sine wave. Unfortunately, there's not a good way to tell how well the particular inverter approximates a sine wave, or how your equipment will react.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
Don't forget, if you go this route you will need a sufficient battery charger to recharge the batteries. A 12 volt will run my System One with the heated humidifier, but it takes a lot more out of the battery with the heated humidifier
in use.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless your town experiences power outages every so often it is not worth wasting time and money in case of the remote chance its out for several days.

Thats like building a fallout shelter in case Russia attacks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
I am so excited to share – what a find! I purchased a Medistrom Pilot-12 -- BACKUP BATTERY power supply for my CPAP machine last week – and this is the best investment I ever made!! (paid $299) and it works like miracle. I connect the backup battery between my Respironics RemStar machine and the power outlet – and if the power is interrupted (it happens quite a lot in my area), my CPAP machine never stops, but continues running off the battery backup. I have been living in fear of suffocating on the CPAP for all this time, and now I can sleep and relax and don’t have to worry about not being able to breathe if power goes out. The Medistrom Pilot is also so small and easy to carry everywhere with my CPAP – weight is about 1.8 lbs. I hightly recommend this battery to every CPAP user! It can be used also not just a s a backup - but as a portable battery because its so light - you can travel with it anywhere. The battery has a USB slot to plug in a phone charger and a small built-in flash light.
I have been on CPAP therapy for 2 months and every time I went to sleep I was paranoid what happens if the power goes out. Now I know that Im protected! Such a piece of mind!!! Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 4 56 2 hours ago
Last Post: JohnKoz
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,274 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,893 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 799 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 249 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,724 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.