Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Devilbiss
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
WARRANTY IMPORTANCE
I was recently faced with the decision on sending my old RemStar M off for repairs ( machine was 3 1/2 years old) or try to replace it. The machine was past the 2 year warranty, and the cost of freight both ways and repair was on me.

I am on medicare. Medicare will help pay for a new machine every 5 years. While Medicare will pay 80% of the cost, I have to go through a local medical equipment provider, which charges roughly twice what the machines sell for online. Also Medicare didn't help pay for the humidifier, so I paid for it out of pocket in addition to monthly rentals.

Not to get off subject, a two year warranty can get you in a bind.

I recently bought a machine online. It has a 5 year warranty on the APAP itself and a 3 year warranty on the humidifier.
The machine cost $490, and the humidifier $50 if purchased at the same time, but a whopping $150 if purchased separately. So I bought 2 humidifiers at $50 each. If nothing else I have a spare water chamber.

I am not touting my new APAP here. I am just writing about the benefit of a 5 year warranty and how it helps me.

I am still breaking the new machine in, but I like it so far.
10-10-2012 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: WARRANTY IMPORTANCE
(10-10-2012 08:21 AM)codger Wrote:  I recently bought a machine online. It has a 5 year warranty on the APAP itself and a 3 year warranty on the humidifier.
The S9 extended 5 years warranty cost me extra $99 but it doesn't apply to the humidifier
10-10-2012 02:11 PM
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

Congratulations on your new machine, codger! I believe you will really enjoy the flexibility and advanced reporting features of an Auto machine compared to your old Remstar M, the same machine I was using prior to my newer APAP. And the five-year warranty on your new Intellipap Auto does seem to be unique from a quick comparison with machines like my ResMed with its more typical 2-year warranty. Naturally, DeVilbiss uses their longer warranty in its sales pitch/machine description.
Meanwhile, my experience with prices disagrees with what you mentioned. I have not found my machine selling (new) online for about half the price of what my DME charged. My DME's pricing is similar to what I see online. New ResMed machines are not inexpensive either way.
About the humidifier, my DME charged $327 for it, with my post-Medicare cost being $54. From that, I conclude that Medicare does pay its share of the humidifier. So, if someone told you otherwise, it looks like they were mistaken.
10-10-2012 02:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

I recommend that everyone watch their local Craigslist for a good "backup" CPAP machine. If you wait long enough, you may find either a good deal on the the machine you want, or a really cheap but functional machine that will give you something that works for emergencies.

You'll also see a lot of greatly overpriced junk. Lots of people don't realize they were robbed by their DME. My rule of thumb is no more than 1/2 the price of a new machine online. You may have to wait for months to get a good deal.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-11-2012 02:00 AM
big_dave Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

(10-11-2012 02:00 AM)archangle Wrote:  I recommend that everyone watch their local Craigslist for a good "backup" CPAP machine. If you wait long enough, you may find either a good deal on the the machine you want, or a really cheap but functional machine that will give you something that works for emergencies.

You'll also see a lot of greatly overpriced junk. Lots of people don't realize they were robbed by their DME. My rule of thumb is no more than 1/2 the price of a new machine online. You may have to wait for months to get a good deal.

I paid too much for my S7--but there's not much for sale in Eugene. I knew I could get a similar machine for $100 less by driving 100 miles (each way) but I was too worn out to make the trip. Then I took my time searching for deals on a better machine, so I paid less for my zero-hour S8 than for my S7. I was looking for an S9 but the S8 is getting the job done, so it can wait.
10-11-2012 03:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(10-11-2012 03:46 AM)big_dave Wrote:  I was looking for an S9 but the S8 is getting the job done, so it can wait.

The S8 AutoSet II is still a VERY good machine, Dave. It would be my second choice if I didn't have my S9 AutoSet.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-11-2012 02:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 warranty impact of changing SD card aenpa 4 708 05-12-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: palerider
  Resmed Warranty not transferable Inspired 1 524 01-13-2016 05:45 AM
Last Post: lab rat
  Warranty reimbursement for rental regbeach 2 421 10-13-2015 06:46 PM
Last Post: foss
  [CPAP] Importance of spO2 levels? Numbat 6 2,823 04-03-2014 01:24 PM
Last Post: Rhymer
  [News] Research report on importance of having a regular bedtime grumpycat 8 2,313 06-06-2013 01:07 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c