Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARRANTY IMPORTANCE
WARRANTY IMPORTANCE
I was recently faced with the decision on sending my old RemStar M off for repairs ( machine was 3 1/2 years old) or try to replace it. The machine was past the 2 year warranty, and the cost of freight both ways and repair was on me.

I am on medicare. Medicare will help pay for a new machine every 5 years. While Medicare will pay 80% of the cost, I have to go through a local medical equipment provider, which charges roughly twice what the machines sell for online. Also Medicare didn't help pay for the humidifier, so I paid for it out of pocket in addition to monthly rentals.

Not to get off subject, a two year warranty can get you in a bind.

I recently bought a machine online. It has a 5 year warranty on the APAP itself and a 3 year warranty on the humidifier.
The machine cost $490, and the humidifier $50 if purchased at the same time, but a whopping $150 if purchased separately. So I bought 2 humidifiers at $50 each. If nothing else I have a spare water chamber.

I am not touting my new APAP here. I am just writing about the benefit of a 5 year warranty and how it helps me.

I am still breaking the new machine in, but I like it so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARRANTY IMPORTANCE
(10-10-2012, 08:21 AM)codger Wrote: I recently bought a machine online. It has a 5 year warranty on the APAP itself and a 3 year warranty on the humidifier.
The S9 extended 5 years warranty cost me extra $99 but it doesn't apply to the humidifier

Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on your new machine, codger! I believe you will really enjoy the flexibility and advanced reporting features of an Auto machine compared to your old Remstar M, the same machine I was using prior to my newer APAP. And the five-year warranty on your new Intellipap Auto does seem to be unique from a quick comparison with machines like my ResMed with its more typical 2-year warranty. Naturally, DeVilbiss uses their longer warranty in its sales pitch/machine description.
Meanwhile, my experience with prices disagrees with what you mentioned. I have not found my machine selling (new) online for about half the price of what my DME charged. My DME's pricing is similar to what I see online. New ResMed machines are not inexpensive either way.
About the humidifier, my DME charged $327 for it, with my post-Medicare cost being $54. From that, I conclude that Medicare does pay its share of the humidifier. So, if someone told you otherwise, it looks like they were mistaken.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend that everyone watch their local Craigslist for a good "backup" CPAP machine. If you wait long enough, you may find either a good deal on the the machine you want, or a really cheap but functional machine that will give you something that works for emergencies.

You'll also see a lot of greatly overpriced junk. Lots of people don't realize they were robbed by their DME. My rule of thumb is no more than 1/2 the price of a new machine online. You may have to wait for months to get a good deal.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2012, 02:00 AM)archangle Wrote: I recommend that everyone watch their local Craigslist for a good "backup" CPAP machine. If you wait long enough, you may find either a good deal on the the machine you want, or a really cheap but functional machine that will give you something that works for emergencies.

You'll also see a lot of greatly overpriced junk. Lots of people don't realize they were robbed by their DME. My rule of thumb is no more than 1/2 the price of a new machine online. You may have to wait for months to get a good deal.

I paid too much for my S7--but there's not much for sale in Eugene. I knew I could get a similar machine for $100 less by driving 100 miles (each way) but I was too worn out to make the trip. Then I took my time searching for deals on a better machine, so I paid less for my zero-hour S8 than for my S7. I was looking for an S9 but the S8 is getting the job done, so it can wait.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2012, 03:46 AM)big_dave Wrote: I was looking for an S9 but the S8 is getting the job done, so it can wait.

The S8 AutoSet II is still a VERY good machine, Dave. It would be my second choice if I didn't have my S9 AutoSet.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 warranty case labrat 3 188 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 638 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] SD card voids warranty? DTDude 20 1,212 11-30-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP CONTROL srlevine1 2 434 07-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Importance of flow limits when titrating ASV raylock1 13 1,411 04-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: raylock1
  [Health] THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SLEEP srlevine1 6 849 03-28-2022, 08:15 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Does Philips not offer international warranty (USA -> Australia)? BHappy 2 1,377 05-15-2020, 08:46 PM
Last Post: BHappy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.