Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to diagnose sudden onset of crashes every time I pull data from my CMS50F?
Question 
How to diagnose sudden onset of crashes every time I pull data from my CMS50F?
I've been using OSCAR to read and display Oximeter data for several years. Once I got the hang of it, no issues. NEVER a crash.

This week it was time to do more readings....

...and now, I can't finish reading the data without OSCAR simply disappearing via a hard crash.

In the UI I see it begin reading...then it loses sync... then poof, it's gone.

Event Viewer says this:

Code:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_FrameServer, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x058e175a
Faulting module name: OpenCL.dll, version: 2.2.8.0, time stamp: 0x5f217308
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000005c98
Faulting process id: 0x5330
Faulting application start time: 0x01d804a4de5e065d
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OpenCL.dll

Any thoughts? Anything I can do to help track this down? I'm a reasonably experienced tech guy (HW/FW/SW)

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to diagnose sudden onset of crashes every time I pull data from my CMS50F?
I'm not sure about the OSCAR crash, I will leave that to the people far more familiar with the underside than I am.

As an interim workaround, have you tried saving the data to your computer as an SpO2 file with the Contec software, and then uploading to OSCAR from that file, instead of pulling it from your pulse ox directly?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to diagnose sudden onset of crashes every time I pull data from my CMS50F?
You might have had a systems update that broke something. If a PC reboot hasn't corrected the problem, then my next thought is to try and change the graphics driver, from "Desktop OpenGL" to "Software Engine". You can either go to File > Preferences > General > Graphics Engine to set this parameter. Or, hold down the <Shift> key when starting OSCAR.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 09:34 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: If a PC reboot hasn't corrected the problem, then my next thought is to try and change the graphics driver, from "Desktop OpenGL" to "Software Engine".

Or, if the graphics engine is already set to "Software Engine," try changing it to "Desktop OpenGL."  That sometimes fixes weird problems on Windows.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good catch!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 04:21 AM)Ratchick Wrote: I'm not sure about the OSCAR crash, I will leave that to the people far more familiar with the underside than I am.

As an interim workaround, have you tried saving the data to your computer as an SpO2 file with the Contec software, and then uploading to OSCAR from that file, instead of pulling it from your pulse ox directly?

Woah. Never tried the Contec SW to be honest. Wink
If nothing else works I will try that...
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing the graphics driver a few times DID kick it to stop crashing. That's the good news.

Along the way, I found some anomalies, maybe bugs:

1) Starting by holding down shift does change the driver. BUT: it changes it *permanently*. I had to get back to the prefs setting in the application to reset it Sad

2) Switching to software driver was essentially useless. Here are things that were different when starting in Software Driver for graphics (either via a pref change directly or using shift. I switched back and forth several times to verify:

- On restart after shifting to Software Driver, the app UI is completely missing: just OSCAR 1.3.0 in the top left corner
- If I then restart and hold down shift, I get a UI... but:
   - on the right it says "Profile: none" even though my profile is showing
   - I can't select the profile
   - The menus are grayed out
   - If I try to go to File->Preferences it says "please select a profile first"
   - If I use File->Edit Profile, it lets me review the profile info (it IS all there?!). 
- Once I save the profile (no changes, just save), then:
   - I still can't select the profile
   - But now I can enter File->Preferences, and set General->Graphics Driver back to openGL

And THEN... it restarts correctly and everything works as it should, including no more crashes.

Bottom line: a rather strange and fiddly sequence!

I assume at least some of the above is NOT what's intended. Wink

Oh, one more tidbit. WHile in the (nonworking) "Software driver" mode, the debug log is endlessly filled with these lines:
228161: Warning: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
228162: Warning: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
228163: Warning: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
228164: Warning: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed

I hope that helps a bit.

Blessings,
Pete
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 11:29 PM)MrPete Wrote: 1) Starting by holding down shift does change the driver. BUT: it changes it *permanently*. I had to get back to the prefs setting in the application to reset it Sad

For better or worse, that is what it is designed to do.

2) Switching to software driver was essentially useless. Here are things that were different when starting in Software Driver for graphics (either via a pref change directly or using shift. I switched back and forth several times to verify:

Thanks for the details. The software driver is clearly not working with the recent versions of Windows.

Oh, one more tidbit. WHile in the (nonworking) "Software driver" mode, the debug log is endlessly filled with these lines:
228161: Warning: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed

We know. That's one of the symptoms of a malfunctioning software graphics engine.
We have some work to do to straighten out this problem.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 11:57 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: We have some work to do to straighten out this problem.

Happy to help a bit with debugging/diagnostics. In the real world I'm a multi-decade vexperienced SW/FW/HW dev/architect specializing in breaking stuff. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 12:59 PM)MrPete Wrote: Happy to help a bit with debugging/diagnostics. In the real world I'm a multi-decade vexperienced SW/FW/HW dev/architect specializing in breaking stuff. Smile

Shoot me a PM and tell me what platforms you are familiar with.  Interested in Development or Testing (aka breaking stuff).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 1 36 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 86 Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 818 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  How and where to adjust local time. douglaskeene 2 93 03-23-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Time listed: Wrong end time? How to fix? Plmnb 5 204 03-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CMS50F Oximeter Device not Recognized. ThinMountainAir 20 2,420 03-07-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: capman
  Total Time In Apnea is missing ElUno 3 327 02-26-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.