Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WHICH APAP -MORE HELP
WHICH APAP -MORE HELP
I think I may be winning the battle with the DME people on the just ok CPAP they want to rent me. I want an APAP with reporting. Think my Doctor will agree since he ordered this one without even reviewing the sleep study with me..

OK, they tell me they (DME people) do Respionics Machines ONLY. Could I please have some suggestions?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WHICH APAP -MORE HELP
You want the Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex (model DS560S). It's competitive with the ResMed S9 AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2014, 01:39 AM)big1dog Wrote: OK, they tell me they (DME people) do Respionics Machines ONLY. Could I please have some suggestions?
Thanks
There is no such thing as "we do Respironcis machines only", they,re in the business of supplying CPAP machines and would supply whatever machine your doctor write on the prescription. Either that or find another insurance approved DME who would supply the machine of your choice

big_dave suggestion "PRS1 560" is top end PR machine, you can go along with that or ask the doctor to specify "ResMed S9 AutoSet" (not S9 Escape Auto) on the prescription and write "dispense as written" to avoid any confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Throwing in my two cents:

There's not enough differences between the PR Series 60 System One Auto (model 560) and the S9 AutoSet to worry about. The PR System One Auto does everything the AutoSet does, albeit the exhalation relief system works differently.

And, unlike the S9 Auto Escape, on the PR side there's not a "brick" version of the System One Auto to worry about.

I wrote a rather detailed comparison of the S9 AutoSet and the PR System One Auto some time ago. You might find it useful to read my post on the Holden versus Ford, Resmed v. Philips Respironics thread from a while back for more detailed information about these two fine machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
As robysue said, PR and Resmed Auto are both awesome machines. Some people do better with PR and some do better with Resmed. I am one that I think does better with Resmed.

I found my old machine that didn't get used more than a few weeks at best and it is a PR Remstar Domestic I think it is called. I had trouble with using it I didn't get any help with guidance to fix it, etc. so I just quit using it. Nobody ever told me that I could die if I didn't use it or what it could do to my health, etc. I had a sleep study which was miserable b/c I think the tech went to sleep and I was cold and I kept calling for another blanket and 30 minutes later, I finally got someone's attention.

My current DME keeps PR on hand but they ordered what I wanted and it was a Resmed. If you can have a trial use that would be a good chance to try both machines and see which works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted the Resmed based on what I have read and heard and that opinion hasn't changed.

But the is nothing wrong with the Respironics and you'll be just fine with that as long as it is the full capability auto.

On the other hand, finding a good DME who will sell you whatever your want might be easier now than waiting until next time these folks try to give you a cheaper solution.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
As everyone else has said. I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford any machine that I want, and I chose the PRS1 60 Series Auto (exactly the machine that was mentioned by big_dave) for the simple reason that my previous machine was also a PRS1 so I could re-use the humidifier. I personally use an A-Flex setting of 3, and find that my breathing feels perfectly normal.

Having read both manuals, the differences between the PRS1 60 Series Auto and the RemStar S9 AutoSet are all minor. Things like: the PRS1 allows separate control of auto-on and auto-off, where the S9 has the same setting controlling both. The PRS1 only reports total leaks, so the display program (SleepyHead) must calculate intentional vs unintentional leaks, whereas the S9 calculates and reports unintentional leaks itself.

One of the biggest differences is that the PRS1 does not erase previous data from the SD card, whereas the S9 will erase detailed data that is more than a week old. As long as you download data no less frequently than every week, this makes no difference, but I find that I can get lazy and let a few weeks go by. With an S9, I'd lose data. With the PRS1, I don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given a list of DME's in my area and could choose. But one in particular only dealt ResMed machines ... no other brands. I was told that prior to my polysomnogram. I knew ResMed was a good brand and already had my mind made up I wanted the ResMed S9 AutoSet. I decided on the DME because I knew I could get my machine the morning following the polysomnogram and I wanted to get started as quickly as possible since I had plans to be traveling a few weeks later. I wanted to know what I was doing with it by travel time. I had been reading for a month on this forum between titration and polysomnogram. It was so valuable to know about so much before I got the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main advantage (for me, not computer literate) of ResMed S9 Autoset is the sleep data display on the LCD screen and reporting unintentional leak which is most helpful knowing at a glance, good mask fit is the most essential for good outcome.
Other machine are dismal in comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
My Doctor has agreed to request a new APAP for me, a PRS1 560S. Now lets see what happens with the medical group and their DME buddies at Lifecare.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,204 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 899 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 636 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 132 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.