Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WISP Mask Smell
WISP Mask Smell
Pretty sure everyone on this board knows how much I like my WISP - but recently, I have run across a new issue.  My replacement cushions have a quite noticeable plasticy smell when opened.  Even after washing this gets much worse after using a SoClean for a few cycles.  This does NOT happen with my Nuance.  Any suggestions?  This has only occurred with the last couple of batches of replacement cushions - they used to be odorless.

thanks,
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WISP Mask Smell
I would contact the DME and tell them that these cushions are unacceptable and that you would like them replaced. My guess is that the mold release wasn't properly cleaned off. Still, I wouldn't tolerate it. If there is any kind of batch number, you could also send an email to Respironics. Include in the email that if they want the products, will they send you a replacement or will they contact DME to send replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried soaking them in something safe like denture tablets? I find that leaves a somewhat minty smell.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My annual doctor visit was last week. Brought one of the stinky wisp masks in with me, and told him about the SoClean. He declared I, indeed, have a bad lot, and gave me a WISP professional sample on the spot. NO smell on this one, out of the package. Now to get the DME to replace my others from the lot with the stinky one...

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Indeed, several lots of WISP XL size cushions are defective.

My SoClean is fine on those lots unaffected, and my neruophysiologist recommends the SoClean.

So Resprionics is at fault here, for shipping improperly cleaned mask cushions. We'll see what they way -= so far, silence.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,735 11 minutes ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,208 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,393 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,554 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.