Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WISP Nasal Mask users
WISP Nasal Mask users
I just acquired the WISP nasal mask.  I tried it for the first time last night.

The problem is that there seems to be a leak from around the mouthpiece.  Is this normal?  Does anyone else have a similar situation?

Thanks if you're able to answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WISP Nasal Mask users
I used a Wisp for 5 years.  Could you clarify your question--the Wisp goes over the nose, not mouth.  Do you mean it leaks above your mouth, under your nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi:

Of course I know that it's for the nose. [Image: dielaughing.gif]

The air leaks from around the hose, right where it clips into the mask.  This is really peculiar since it's all brand new stuff.  It would be impossible for Philips to poorly make these pieces.

The amount of air escaping is significant.  It changes my consumption level an entire gradient (three rather than two) on the water reservoir tank.  I'm just hoping that someone like you can make sense of this.

Thanks a million for your help.

[quote pid='450662' dateline='1658463376']
"The problem is that there seems to be a leak from around the mouthpiece.  Is this normal?  Does anyone else have a similar situation?"

[/quote]

My bad.  I said mouthpiece.  I meant "nosepiece".
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured you knew it was worn on the nose--wording just kind of confused it!  I didn't have that problem with leaks around where it attached to the mask, but I did adjust the hose so the whole think didn't hang over the edge of the bed because the weight seems to cause leaks all around the edges of the cushion.  Others might add info about hose hangers--I've never used one.  Have you checked with your DME to see if there is a problem with the Wisp cushion?  Sorry, but that's all I can offer--had to go to a full face mask from the Wisp about 18 months ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm new at this ... almost a year now.  So I'm just learning what works for me and what doesn't.

This is my fifth mask.  The full face mask has been my go-to mask, but it's not ideal.  After a few days I get a bloody wound on my nose.  Every night I struggle with "face farts" from my mask that I imagine are the consequence of high pressures that can't be fully contained.  (17 cmH2O is my prescription).

I'm suspicious that my careless respirologist should have prescribed apap, not cpap -- but that remains to be seen.  I don't think he understands the seriousness of this for his patients. My opinion, of course.

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most obvious source of 'leaks' are the vent holes located between the two clip tabs at the end of the hose.

These are there to allow the pressure to be controlled by the speed of the fan, and to provide excess air to mix with your exhaled CO2 and pull it out of the mask. This is true of all CPAP mask designs.

There may be some leakage around where the hose fits into the mask frame, but it is insignificant compared to the amount vented by the nearby holes.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,002 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.