Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WISP mask problem
Surprised 
WISP mask problem
I have had my best AHI numbers using the WISP mask, but the mask has caused major bruising and soreness on the bridge area of my nose. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a "cure" for the bruising?
Thanks    
PS: No laughing at the pic is allowed!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WISP mask problem
Hi elbie,
Not laughing! That looks painful.

Do you have a full face mask or even a nasal pillow mask you can try until that heals? If you keep using the Wisp, it will continue to be irritated and not heal.

The mask does not fit you correctly or you are wearing it too tight. I also suggest you see a doctor, he/she may give you an antibiotic ointment to use.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Wisp is made to be worn fairly loose. I can hardly feel mine. Suction keeps it tight, not tightening the straps. If it is the wrong size that could be a problem. I had a little paper sizing thing in my mask bad--hold it up to the base of your nose and it tells you what size you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those of you that answered. Have you liked this mask?
I agree that the size may not be correct - especially since in the pics of it I've seen, the mask seems to actually sit higher on the nose than mine does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Elbie,

I'm new to this (about a month in), and have been using a Wisp mask. I would second the advice to loosen the mask and maybe try a different size. Did you get 3 size options with the mask?

I am going to get a new mask tomorrow, a pillow-style P-10, not because I don't like the Wisp (I do) but have a window for trying options and want to find the best one for me.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
elbie,
If you decide to use the sizing guide for this mask, you might encounter a common problem. I'm being a little proactive here and outlining the steps to get an accurate guide.
  1. Save the PDF file to your computer first. Don't print it from your web browser as it can shrink its size.
  2. When printing from Adobe Reader, go to the print options and make sure that Actual Size is selected. The default is set to Shrink to Fit.
  3. Only use the guide if the ruler on the guide matches that of a ruler you have laying around.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the mask from the therapist at the hospital which has been supplying my equipment. She gave me the s/m. Apparently there is not just small or just medium. How far up on your nose does your WISP sit? You can tell by my welt where mine is.
Elbie
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a Wisp mask and found that I was in between a small and medium size. I went back to my F&P Eson medium and it's all good. Pity because the Wisp headgear is pretty comfy too.

James
Post Reply Post Reply
Two things I have used to get a good seal with reasonable comfort are: 1. The CPAC Comfort Covers available on Amazon (I am not selling them or benefitting from their sale, only passing on helpful information).

2. Try sticking moleskin to the silicone plastic where it contacts your face. This gives a better seal, in my not very humble opinion, and a much more comfortable interface between your face or nose and the CPAP mask - AND will enable you to loosen your headgear straps for greater comfort and less bruising on your nose.

I had a similar situation, but with a different mask, several years ago, and it resulted in a serious infection that left an interesting scar on the bridge of my nose. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told to stop using the WISP until my nose healed. I was loaned a nasal pillow, and I really like it. AHI numbers vary from 1 to 3. I can sleep on the side of my face (which I prefer). I am suppose to go back and try a different sized WISP but am now wondering if I shouldn't stick with the nasal pillow. Why mess with something that works. (I do have to wear a chin strap with it but I had to do that with the WISP as well.)
Elbie
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,335 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.