Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WOW, Sleepyhead telling me AHI ZERO
RE: WOW, Sleepyhead telling me AHI ZERO
(03-10-2014, 02:08 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Last nights reading was 0.53, so it was not zero 2 nights in a row. My AHI has been running as follows: The leak rates have been very low as well. I am using a nasal pillow and I pin the sides into my hair and it does not move when I move. I sleep on my side

How do you access the menu to see the card in the machine?

Hi Marnid, Congrats on your excellent results, I hope they stay that way for you.

I have the FX pillows on order. It will be the first time I have tried pillows. I have been using FX Nano for the three weeks I have been on CPAP.
I have been interested to follow your journey and hope I adapt as well to pillows as you have. Where you said you pin sides in to your hair, do you mind telling me at what point on head you do this please?

Cheers and all the best to you.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Hi Marnid2014, well done Wink

My experience with nasal pillows is the same as yours, except for the 0.0

My thoughts are now that any amount of leak can hinder the CPAP therapy, with a FFM my 95% percentile leak rate would be say 12, and I would still have a AHI of 16 for the night, now with the nasal pillows my high pressure is down from 17.5 to 12.8 and my AHI is mostly less than 1,

Actually when I look at my data my AHI has always been lower when the median leak level is low, the 95% percentile leak rate can be low and I get a high AHI or it can be high and I get a low AHI?

I could be wrong, my thoughts are that the 24 L/H2O leak line in rescan has much more to do with data accuracy than controlling AHI events and getting the median down is very important.

Dancing
(03-10-2014, 06:26 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 02:08 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Last nights reading was 0.53, so it was not zero 2 nights in a row. My AHI has been running as follows: The leak rates have been very low as well. I am using a nasal pillow and I pin the sides into my hair and it does not move when I move. I sleep on my side

Hi Marnid, Congrats on your excellent results, I hope they stay that way for you.

I have the FX pillows on order. It will be the first time I have tried pillows. I have been using FX Nano for the three weeks I have been on CPAP.
I have been interested to follow your journey and hope I adapt as well to pillows as you have. Where you said you pin sides in to your hair, do you mind telling me at what point on head you do this please?

Hi Gabby
I am so happy to help someone, they have helped me so much in this journey. I just took a couple bobby pins and at the ear I pinned it over the plastic strap. I also put my hair in a pony tail and then put the back strap under the tail. It does not move an inch this way, so I can turn over and move around and the pillows stay in without any leaks to speak of. Hope that helps. Good luck to you as well!!!!!

(03-10-2014, 06:41 PM)comatose Wrote: Hi Marnid2014, well done Wink

My experience with nasal pillows is the same as yours, except for the 0.0

My thoughts are now that any amount of leak can hinder the CPAP therapy, with a FFM my 95% percentile leak rate would be say 12, and I would still have a AHI of 16 for the night, now with the nasal pillows my high pressure is down from 17.5 to 12.8 and my AHI is mostly less than 1,

Actually when I look at my data my AHI has always been lower when the median leak level is low, the 95% percentile leak rate can be low and I get a high AHI or it can be high and I get a low AHI?

I could be wrong, my thoughts are that the 24 L/H2O leak line in rescan has much more to do with data accuracy than controlling AHI events and getting the median down is very important.

Dancing

Thanks so much, I am very happy with the results and hopefully it will continue. I am totally lost when it comes to a lot of this, I can only look at the total data and see that my leaks are low and the AHI is low, so I HOPE that means that all is well. good luck to you as well!!!

(03-10-2014, 06:44 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 06:26 PM)Gabby Wrote:

Hi Gabby
I am so happy to help someone, they have helped me so much in this journey. I just took a couple bobby pins and at the ear I pinned it over the plastic strap. I also put my hair in a pony tail and then put the back strap under the tail. It does not move an inch this way, so I can turn over and move around and the pillows stay in without any leaks to speak of. Hope that helps. Good luck to you as well!!!!!

Thanks Marnid for your quick reply.
I have short hair but will pin the plastic straps on near my ears to secure them. I just hope I don't mind the gush of air going straight in to the nostrils. Other than that I really like the whole idea of the pillows, so I hope I am able to adjust and am able to have a minimum leakage like you.
Thank you again Smile
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
(03-10-2014, 07:07 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 06:44 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 06:26 PM)Gabby Wrote: Hi Marnid, Congrats on your excellent results, I hope they stay that way for you.

Hi Gabby

I have short hair but will pin the plastic straps on near my ears to secure them. I just hope I don't mind the gush of air going straight in to the nostrils. Other than that I really like the whole idea of the pillows, so I hope I am able to adjust and am able to have a minimum leakage like you.
Thank you again Smile

Honestly, I only can feel the air when I first put on the machine, then it settles down after about 5 minutes. Make sure you take the pillows and move them around a bit to make sure they are sitting right in your nose, if you feel like you are breathing too hard, one might have collapsed in on itself, just wiggle it a bit until you can breathe easy. I don't even know they are in anymore, they are so comfortable and the payoff is a MUCH lower pressure that has done the trick for me. I pray pray pray this continues. so far, so good.
(03-10-2014, 07:11 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 07:07 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 06:44 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Hi Gabby

Thank you again Smile

Honestly, I only can feel the air when I first put on the machine, then it settles down after about 5 minutes. Make sure you take the pillows and move them around a bit to make sure they are sitting right in your nose, if you feel like you are breathing too hard, one might have collapsed in on itself, just wiggle it a bit until you can breathe easy. I don't even know they are in anymore, they are so comfortable and the payoff is a MUCH lower pressure that has done the trick for me. I pray pray pray this continues. so far, so good.
So the pillows expand when the air comes through?
I am really looking forward to the experience and hope it is as good as yours.
I have ordered a small and a medium to see how I go.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
No, they don't expand. Depending on which one you got, the pillows usually look like cones with 3 ripples. The narrow end of the cone goes into the nostril but only up to the first ripple, maybe the second. The seal forms from that ripple. Sometimes, as you are wiggling them in to fit, the first ripple will get pushed into the second one and the seal will be lost because it malforms it. Easy to fix.

There's some newer pillows on the market, like the Nuance, that do not actually go into the nostril very far at all. They form the seal right on the outside of the nostril, on the front (not the sides).

Sit up with it on during the day to figure out how it all works. Get used to it and all that. You may want to turn the humidity up just a little bit for the first few nights. You may also want to turn off the ramp feature if you feel smothered.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

(03-10-2014, 09:05 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, they don't expand. Depending on which one you got, the pillows usually look like cones with 3 ripples. The narrow end of the cone goes into the nostril but only up to the first ripple, maybe the second. The seal forms from that ripple. Sometimes, as you are wiggling them in to fit, the first ripple will get pushed into the second one and the seal will be lost because it malforms it. Easy to fix.

There's some newer pillows on the market, like the Nuance, that do not actually go into the nostril very far at all. They form the seal right on the outside of the nostril, on the front (not the sides).

Sit up with it on during the day to figure out how it all works. Get used to it and all that. You may want to turn the humidity up just a little bit for the first few nights. You may also want to turn off the ramp feature if you feel smothered.

Cheers Paula, I will check out the Nuance!

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Maybe we are talking about different kinds of pillows, but I would say the Airfit P10 pillows expand A LITTLE and thus by getting a little larger JUST inside the entrance form a seal between pillow and the interior walls of your nose near the opening.

You can feel them expand and they are must more difficult to remove and reposition when the air is on.

Fitting with air off is easy, but that expansion of the air can cause them to be "almost too big" to position correctly without turning off the air.

This is part of my reason for avoiding "fidgeting or fussing" with the pillows as much as possible.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New User - What is the data telling me? kcw196 25 2,523 09-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Last Post: kcw196
Question What are these numbers telling me? cobradoc 8 1,769 06-30-2019, 10:40 AM
Last Post: cobradoc
  Locating leak? Telling difference between exhaust and ? TheManseHen 7 3,282 01-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.