Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WTH? Last night something happened that caused my machine to shut itself off?
WTH? Last night something happened that caused my machine to shut itself off?
I've been trying to transition from a FFM to nasal mask or pillows, and struggling mightily with leaks.

Last night I had pressures set low, (7/8, EPR=3) and was using P30i pillows.

I was having problems with the weird sensation that the pillows seemed to be getting pinched shut in my nose, and spent the night trying to fiddle with the angle of the mask trying to get more air.

Here's the whole night:
[attachment=32965]

Here's the five minutes as it shut down:
[attachment=32966]

The whole night I was going through "is this really on?!?" and apparently for 2:40 the answer was "no"!

According to my fitbit, I came out of deep sleep to light with a ~1min arousal as it shut off. Then I had a bunch of REM, another short deep, and was in REM when I woke up -- I think that I went to the bathroom and so that's how it got turned back on.

A little scary, as I have autostart set and apparently my breathing with the pillows isn't enough to kick the machine on!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WTH? Last night something happened that caused my machine to shut itself off?
Not all people can use the same mask with a positive outcome.  It sounds like you and the P30i are not a good fit. . . literally!  All I can think to advise is to play with the mask positioning and tension while you are in your normal sleep position.  If this doesn't help, then a new mask search is in your future.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WTH? Last night something happened that caused my machine to shut itself off?
Is Smart Start and Smart Stop turned on?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn autostart off, it is a useless function and can cause these issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 12:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Is Smart Start and Smart Stop turned on?

I’ve had smart start turned on and smart stop off since the beginning going-on-seven-years. 

I learned early on that I would forget to turn the machine beck on after a bathroom break. 

It’s a pretty longstanding habit now, and if I turn off smart start then I’m going to be sleeping with mask on and machine off all the time!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the same problem with that auto-smart-stop/start thingie on a previous machine I had...

Didn't have a lick of trouble for a long time, then all of a sudden the machine would start thinking I wasn't wearing the mask any longer and turn itself off in the middle of the night, sometimes 2-3 times a night.

I was hypothesizing that my mask was leaking quite a bit during those times -- so much so that the machine thought I'd taken the mask off.

Turning off that auto-stop-start option solved the problem for me.  And in order to remember to put the mask & machine back on after a midnight potty break, I always lay the mask square on the bed where my back would normally be, so if I came back to bed and forget to put the mask back on, it would harpoon my back, notifying me "hey dummy, you forgot to put your mask on".  I've never been able to put my mask on without first turning the pressure on (otherwise I feel suffocated), so before I put the mask back on, I'd always remember to start the machine up again.

Your mileage may very, of course.   Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I personally never had issue with autostart. I've had somewhat of a similar issue one time, but I didn't have autostart activated the time. I realized that it was due to CPAP not getting any power at some point of night, and it wouldn't turn back on when the power was back up due to autostart not activated.

I've been using autostart ever since then so that if there is a power outage for short duration, the CPAP is able to turn itself back on. So, I find it useful for those occasions. Or like the other poster said, you may forget to turn the CPAP back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using my ResMed ASV with SmartStart turned on for almost three years. SmartStart has never failed. Well, with the exception of when I forgot to put in the humidifier chamber. But we're not going to talk about that. Big Grin
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:25 AM)RayBee Wrote: Been using my ResMed ASV with SmartStart turned on for almost three years. SmartStart has never failed. Well, with the exception of when I forgot to put in the humidifier chamber. But we're not going to talk about that. Big Grin

Been there done that got the t-shirt!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:16 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I've been using autostart ever since then so that if there is a power outage for short duration, the CPAP is able to turn itself back on.  So, I find it useful for those occasions.  Or like the other poster said, you may forget to turn the CPAP back on.

I'm beginning to wonder if my machine is failing. A couple of weeks ago I had an incident that I had never seen before, where all of my curves disappeared for 2 minutes 19 seconds in a way that looked sort of like a mask-on/off (new session, recovery breathing on start) EXCEPT that the session started with the pressure pegged at the maximum pressure 15/12 rather that the minimum 7/4.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...clearly-on

Here's a closeup of that May 23rd incident:
[attachment=33012]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 379 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,436 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,162 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,087 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 988 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.