Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Which post view option do you use?
This poll is closed.
View source
40.00%
20 40.00%
View Source but have no idea how that happened/how to switch
2.00%
1 2.00%
WYSIWYG
26.00%
13 26.00%
WYSIWYG but have no idea how that happened/how to switch
6.00%
3 6.00%
I have no clue which I use
20.00%
10 20.00%
I have no clue which I use and really don't care
6.00%
3 6.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

WYSIWYG or not? {PLEASE VOTE}
WYSIWYG or not? {PLEASE VOTE}
When writing a post, there are two view options. One is to view it as WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). The other is View Source.

[Image: source01.jpg]
[Image: source02.jpg]

A problem exists when members copy/paste from another formatted document, such as Word. The WYSIWYG does what it is supposed to. It displays what you see. But it is rendered really weird and the moderators are having to fix them. Almost always the font is way too small for anyone to read. This only happens when the board member is using the WYSIWYG option.

Code:
[color=#777777][size=x-small][font=verdana, sans-serif, arial]Something important here,
but no one can read it.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#777777][size=x-small][font=verdana, sans-serif, arial]Because it is very small and, for some reason, light gray in color.[/font][/size][/color]

[Image: source04.jpg]

One way to fix this is to reset the setting in the UserCP so that "view source" is the default. But it would reset everyone, even those who prefer to use the WYSIWYG. So before it is reset, or if it will be reset at all, we wanted to know how many even know the function exists. You select which view in either the post itself (very last button on right, looks like a sheet of paper) or in the UserCP under Edit Options.

[Image: source03.jpg]
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WYSIWYG or not?
I'd like to add this note that I've noticed with mainly new users to the forum, but I've dealt with it myself:

It's very difficult to break up quoted posts to put your own comments between pieces of the quoted post in the WYSIWYG editor. That is what lead me (in desperation) one night to click on all the icons available in the WYSIWYG editor, only to find, much to my joy, that the last one switched between the WYSIWYG and BBCode source views. Since then, I've switched into BBCode every time I'm dumped in the WYSIWYG editor.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Added a red "Admin Note" to the thread title to get more eyes on this.

Thanks for voting, folks.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WYSIWYG or not? {PLEASE VOTE}
I checked both source and WYSIWYG for the reason robysue stated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often use the quick reply and add any BBCode manually. When using the full editor I generally stay in WYSIWYG, but occasionally check source code view.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For simple replies WYSIWYG, for embedded quotes, source. It depends on your comfort level using tags and eliminating the cruft that is usually found when copying Micro$oft or web documents.

As long as I have the option, I would start in WYSIWYG. Like everything else in computers, it is a matter of custom (they like what they know) and then convenience. (I am not lazy, I am energy-efficient.)
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a DOS CLI guy. I have source mode.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2017, 12:30 AM)robysue Wrote: I'd like to add this note that I've noticed with mainly new users to the forum, but I've dealt with it myself:

It's very difficult to break up quoted posts to put your own comments between pieces of the quoted post in the WYSIWYG editor.  That is what lead me (in desperation) one night to click on all the icons available in the WYSIWYG editor, only to find, much to my joy, that the last one switched between the WYSIWYG and BBCode source views. Since then, I've switched into BBCode every time I'm dumped in the WYSIWYG editor.

If you hover your cursor over nearly any icon, it will tell you what it is for.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2017, 09:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 12:30 AM)robysue Wrote: I'd like to add this note that I've noticed with mainly new users to the forum, but I've dealt with it myself:

It's very difficult to break up quoted posts to put your own comments between pieces of the quoted post in the WYSIWYG editor.  That is what lead me (in desperation) one night to click on all the icons available in the WYSIWYG editor, only to find, much to my joy, that the last one switched between the WYSIWYG and BBCode source views. Since then, I've switched into BBCode every time I'm dumped in the WYSIWYG editor.

If you hover your cursor over nearly any icon, it will tell you what it is for.

That's most likely how I found that last icon switched to Source. Smile
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I must be sleep deprived. I don't ever recall seeing anything I compose in WYSIWYG.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 287 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.