Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waiting for VA to switch me to right machine; what about renting in the meantime?
Waiting for VA to switch me to right machine; what about renting in the meantime?
Hi all!  I posted some data here a few days ago, and the general consensus was that I should be on an ASV rather than a bipap.  I've sent my data to the VA, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.  Hopefully, they'll be relatively prompt, but if they stay true to form, and I have to settle in for a protracted battle, what about renting an ASV in the meanwhile?  Where do they rent these, and about how much is rental?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waiting for VA to switch me to right machine; what about renting in the meantime?
No insurance. I'm guessing a couple hundred a month from a DME.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waiting for VA to switch me to right machine; what about renting in the meantime?
Rental or purchase requires a prescription. Kind of a catch-22. As far as continuing CPAP/BPAP, I think you have to consider the results of your sleep study and how you are feeling since starting therapy. If you feel the same or better, I'd stick with it, but if the machine actually causes more events or makes you feel worse then discontinuing therapy makes sense. As I recall, your event rate has dropped dramatically using fixed CPAP pressure, to a level that indicates good efficacy. That doesn't sound like a reason to quit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still feeling like crap, and waking up several times a night, though. I was under the impression that if I'm still having a bunch of central events, then the ASV machine is the one that's more appropriate?  https://imgur.com/a/SPHhH
Post Reply Post Reply
How you feel is important! You belonged on ASV the first day I saw your data and sleep study, and amazing that you have gotten these results. If you were following prescription, you would still be at AHI 20+. So did we help you or hurt you? I know how to optimize results, but you belong on ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely helped, but I think you're right and I belong on the other machine. I think the data speaks for itself, like you said.  I can't help but wonder what machine they had me on for the sleep study? It was miraculous; I slept through the night, and that hasn't happened in decades. I've felt tortured for a very long time, almost psychotic, with this feeling of having an ultra-dense mass spinning at 100,000 RPM in the middle of my head, physically torquing it to the side, plus the shortness of breath, feeling like my eyes are going to shoot out of my head, and terrible memory and an inability to concentrate that has gotten so bad at times that I couldn't figure out how to use my computer, and I built the thing! I believe I'm halfway there, and going to CPAP is probably the best thing I can do in the meanwhile, but I'm definitely not "there" yet
Post Reply Post Reply
I may have misread your reply. I thought that you were saying that I didn't actually need ASV since I got an improvement from CPAP. I'm still hoping that a move to ASV will be just what I need, and I can finally get real  sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Option two is where I was going. I just hope that by getting you to "survivable" results, we have not hurt your chances to get the device you need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Happy Thanksgiving, all ! Today's data  https://imgur.com/a/FJ8dO   The AHI went up from 7 to 11.  By the way, I got my wife an appointment with a sleep lab!
Post Reply Post Reply
How can anyone be happy to see a shi**y chart, but I am..that is definitely gunna get you an ASV. all the work here hasn't got you in range.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,074 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 300 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 626 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 On-Off Switch Fix Quantum Mechanic 2 4,719 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: foolio
  Waiting for ResMed S11 AirCurve ASV jerrydaw 17 7,397 05-18-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: SimbaLion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.