Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wake up after 3 or 4 hours with CPAP and can't go back to sleep
RE: Wake up after 3 or 4 hours with CPAP and can't go back to sleep
I have tried every natural sleeping remedy to get to sleep and nothing worked, I have a piece of meat between my ears that I cannot turn off, I take perscription tablets when needed, insomnia would have to be one of the worst things you can have, but I'm told that once your in your seventies, you don't need as much sleep as you did when you were young and working
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know....I'm over 70 and working. Weary.
But Rescue Remedy works for me. I was first told about it 35+ years ago by my holistic vet. She used it on animals. Mine. And it absolutely worked with them. Sir Charlot was deathly afraid of thunder. I'd give him Rescue Remedy orally and he would be ok (otherwise he would hurt himself desparately trying to hide wherever he could.) He lived to 16-1/2. Pretty good for a Golden Retriever. (He was a rescue; who knows what he went through. He had been all torn up inside.)

Caution with Rescue Remedy; I have to take more than they say on the label, or it plain doesn't work for me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:13 PM)masonmiller407 Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 06:50 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Can you please post some of your OSCAR charts?

Hi, attached are my past two nights.

Hi, welcome.
I may have some suggestions.
First, there would still a very large room to improve your therapy. Your data and charts still present an unacceptable level of FL/RERA’s (flagged or not), which are arising/awakening you all the time. There are strong suggestions your case is an UARS one.
You are on the correct machine to treat UARS; congratulations. Many here are still waiting to take this very first step.
To tame FL/RERA’s first to do would be getting fine-tuned EPAPmin and PS tailored for you. The quickiest and simple way to get these two numbers would be start plotting them (whatever ones you choose start experiencing; be "courageous!", it pay off) against a kind of anchor: your median respiratory rate (RR). With some practice you are going to learn how to spot flagged and unflagged RERA’s, responsible for your large number of arousal/awakenings; counting them daily and rather quickly you will get your tailored EPAPmin+PS. At this point, you will see, there would be high chances your RERA’s would mark pretty much zero all the time, both, in the column Max and p95.
Once you get at this point, which may take maximum 1 month; if you stay remaining awakening/waking up, then would be the time to look for additional issues, other than respiratory ones.
You might be interested on following my semi-quantitative approach, in my thread and posts, to tackle FL/RERA’s (and UARS).
Please, in case you keep posting charts, I would suggest these ones: Pressure, FR, RR(with the median reference line), FL(can be very compressed), TV(with the median reference line), Leak(can be very compressed).

All the best,
Post Reply Post Reply
...in case of chart posting: it would be interesting having full night, as well as some ten-minute windows stretches.
gl
Post Reply Post Reply
Mason I had the same experience when I first started. If this continues once you have your setting worked out consider this.

In 4 hrs of CPAP sleep you are probably getting more rest than your were previously in 8 or 10 hrs of thrashing around so your brain wakes up thinking you had a good nights sleep. In time this may settle down.

My 2 cents. Get your settings sorted and don't stress or worry yourself. IMO this is important! The wonderful folks here will help with that. Smile

Take some LIQUID melatonin.
If stressed try some L-Theanine.
Read a book under subdued red light or red backlight e-reader while in CPAP and do a tense and relax exercise. NO blue light. No cellphone or tablet or TV.

(I had a dimmer on a desk light with a red bulb but now I have an e-reader.)
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:09 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: In 4 hrs of CPAP sleep you are probably getting more rest than your were previously in 8 or 10 hrs of thrashing around so your brain wakes up thinking you had a good nights sleep. In time this may settle down.
I think this is where I am, combined with some aches and pains. I still wake up periodically with the time release melatonin, but I get back to sleep much faster. I've started paying more attention to the cpap time reported by the machine instead of the clock whenever I can. I stop the machine, look at the current time and AHI, and then let SmartStart restart it. When it reaches something over 6 hours, I give up and get up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 07:26 AM)DaveL Wrote: Don't know....I'm over 70 and working. Weary.
But Rescue Remedy works for me. I was first told about it 35+ years ago by my holistic vet. She used it on animals. Mine.  And it absolutely worked with them. Sir Charlot was deathly afraid of thunder. I'd give him Rescue Remedy orally and he would be ok (otherwise he would hurt himself desparately trying to hide wherever he could.) He lived to 16-1/2. Pretty good for a Golden Retriever. (He was a rescue; who knows what he went through. He had been all torn up inside.)

Caution with Rescue Remedy; I have to take more than they say on the label, or it plain doesn't work for me.

What is Recure Remedy???
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,956 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.