Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wake up dry mouth, sore throat, chest hurts
Wake up dry mouth, sore throat, chest hurts
I'm on the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP (the brick...I know.  But can't change right now so gotta cope).   I use the under-the-nose nasal cushion and tape my mouth shut (spouse loves this!)  Pressure at 7.0.  Pressure relief on.  Ramp on Auto.  Humidity set at 6.  Flannel cover on tubing prevents rainout.  Leaking is not a problem.  Been using this for a year and doing well.  Lately -- waking up with desert-dry mouth, sore throat, and upper chest uncomfortable.  Water IS leaving the humidifier but not as much as it used to do.  Machine is telling me I average about 0.5 "events" an hour.  I wake feeling rested... just what is going on with the *&^% humidifier?    Any ideas?   Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wake up dry mouth, sore throat, chest hurts
my guess is you're mouth breathing through or past the tape. even if you aren't actually leaking from the mouth, whatever it is that shunts air to the nose may be relaxed, allowing air to circulate through your mouth. have you tried a chin strap, soft cervical collar, neck wedge or full face mask?

edit: meant to say that breathing through/around tape might be difficult, that effort contributing to chest muscle pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the water level dropping at the same rate as previously?  IOW, are you refilling at the same frequency as earlier?  This might be a clue as to whether or not your tub's heater is working. 

As for the hose, I drape mine low over my midriff and cover it with the blanket.  That keeps it warm and the rainout from taking place on chilly winter nights, which our bedroom has by preference. Your hose cover must do much the same, apparently.

Are you waking up on your back more often?  The chest pains could be dryness, but also aerophagia.  I swallow air many nights, probably most nights.  Some are way worse than others.  Some, I have a little belch first thing upon rising and that's it.

If you are on your back, and sleeping well, the same way you'd have been snoring like a diesel locomotive in times past, you are possibly drying out, your humidity level settings notwithstanding.  Have you experimented with doubling up your setting?  That's what I recommend.  Many tinker with settings and get little relief.  Sometimes a coarse setting, and then backing off from there if necessary, is the way to go.  [Not with pressure, but humidity should be no grave concern.]

I also tape. Recently, I have learned that I don't need to tape across my mouth entirely. A small strip, with a folded-over tab for easy removal, across the center of my mouth suffices. Works surprisingly well. If you tape across your entire mouth, and the tape is not lifting due to moisture and spittle, then I don't see that mouth breathing is a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sometimes have chest pain...I take Passion Flower tincture. Pain goes away. I get it at health food stores. There are several vendors that are good...
Dr Oz recommended Passion Flower for stress on his show. Works for me. Wink
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
All good thoughts.  I am going to bump up the humidity setting and maybe try a different tape.  I do empty and refill the tub every day and always at the same level.  Just wondering if these machines have any internal valve or what-have-you that can fail or need to be replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2019, 01:33 PM)sheepless Wrote: my guess is you're mouth breathing through or past the tape.  even if you aren't actually leaking from the mouth, whatever it is that shunts air to the nose may be relaxed, allowing air to circulate through your mouth.  have you tried a chin strap, soft cervical collar, neck wedge or full face mask?

edit: meant to say that breathing through/around tape might be difficult, that effort contributing to chest muscle pain.

f
chin strap drove me crazy and did not prevent mouth leak.  the tape works so much better.  For some reason, full face mask lead to a high
event rate and much leaking, even after trying several kinds.  Apparently, my lower jaw and chin are not very wide and there is leak, leak, leak.  This nasal mask has been working wonderfully.... until now with this dryness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Palmtrees, have you ever tried Somnifix tape? I use it every night, and it almost always does the job. It is also completely non-irritating to my sensitive skin.

So, I do recommend it, though it isn't perfect. Every so often, I'll have to lift the tape off to cough in the middle of the night, and I may get a little saliva on the tape during this maneuver. The tape will then tend to loosen in a few places, and that's when I wake up with a very dry mouth and a scratchy throat. Quite unpleasant, so I can sympathize!
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my favorite tape for mouth taping

[Image: 6cZzP10.jpg]
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
No taping my mouth shut is a bridge to far
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:24 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: This is my favorite tape for mouth taping

[Image: 6cZzP10.jpg]
thats the one I am using
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 37 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 380 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 808 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,166 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.