Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wake up in middle of night thinking it's time to get up.
Wake up in middle of night thinking it's time to get up.
Just curious if this has happened to other people? I've only been on treatment for 2 weeks, and almost immediately after I started, I'll wake up in the middle of the night, thinking it's time for me to get ready to leave. Usually I figure out that I can totally go back to sleep and put my mask back on, but at least once I fell back asleep without putting my mask back on and as a result did not meet compliance for the night. Happened again last night, I sleep for a little while without putting it back on, although I think I met compliance.

I have no problems sleeping with the equipment, I don't take it off because I'm uncomfortable or anything. I know how important it is to wear it when I sleep, blah blah blah. I just keep thinking it's time to get up when it's not. Mornincoffee I'm sure it's probably a combo of cortisol levels being screwed up from sleep deprivation, on top of the habit that gets built waking up without enough sleep all the time.

Just wondering how common it is. And if other people experienced this, how long did it take you to adjust?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wake up in middle of night thinking it's time to get up.
Sometimes two weeks of therapy is a short time for some folks to acclimatize to the use of CPAP. Sounds like you are stressing a bit about the compliance issue.. Don't worry about that, especially at your early onset of therapy. Frankly, never heard of insurance taking away someone's CPAP if it was prescribed by a physician. I think longer sleep periods will come with continued usage. Good Luck.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I did that in the beginning of treatment. I concluded I was sleeping so much better than prior cpap that I got my usual "sleep credits" in less than my normal 8 hrs of "tossing and turnin',
Turnin' and tossing,
Tossing and turnin' all night."

Still happens now and then I decided to not stress over it and go back to sleep.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2015, 10:13 AM)JudgeMental Wrote: Sometimes two weeks of therapy is a short time for some folks to acclimatize to the use of CPAP. Sounds like you are stressing a bit about the compliance issue.. Don't worry about that, especially at your early onset of therapy. Frankly, never heard of insurance taking away someone's CPAP if it was prescribed by a physician. I think longer sleep periods will come with continued usage. Good Luck.

I'm not really stressed about compliance, it just seemed like something relevant to mention. They might not take away my machine over a missed day here and there, but it's not a good habit. More importantly sleeping without it is not any good for my sleep and treatment.

(12-15-2015, 11:29 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I did that in the beginning of treatment. I concluded I was sleeping so much better than prior cpap that I got my usual "sleep credits" in less than my normal 8 hrs of "tossing and turnin',
Turnin' and tossing,
Tossing and turnin' all night."

Still happens now and then I decided to not stress over it and go back to sleep.

It seems I may have worded my post in a way that overstates my concern. I'm not all the concerned, I was just wondering.
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up in the middle of the night is pretty common. In the beginning, it would happen to me around 12:30/1:30. After 6 mo., that shifted to 1:30/2:30. 2 Years later, it's about 4/4:30. I could easily get up for good at any of those times, but I knew I would pay the price later in the day, and I did.

Your body and your sleep are going through a big adjustment. Be careful of other factors that might be blamed too. Caffeine, sugar intake, foods pre-bedtime, alcohol, etc. can all play roles.

Everybody's different, but for me it took a long time. But the good news for everybody is that things continually improve. I took middle of the night sleeping pills for almost 2 years to knock me back out for the rest of the night. It worked well for me. I needed them and only recently have gone off them without any troubles -- since my first sleep shift goes up to about 4-5am now.

I'm extremely happy for the stage that I'm at and grateful that I finally got to this stage. It sure was a hell of a ride getting here, but no one should have any doubts regarding the importance of the destination.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's happened to me a few times. I just looked at the clock, thought 'I don't think so', then went back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I have had this same problem SephixT, so you are not alone. Probably cause in that time you got better sleep than your body was used to before CPAP-just my guess.

I hate waking up in the middle of the night, still tired but thinking it must be time to get up until I look at the clock. Last night it was 1:30 am roughly this happened. I was awake about an hour before I could get back to sleep. I've been retired 2 1/2 years and I'm still trying to get rid of the effects of screwed up internal clock due to shift work.

I'm sure like everything else you will adapt. Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2015, 07:05 PM)cate1898 Wrote: I know I have had this same problem SephixT, so you are not alone. Probably cause in that time you got better sleep than your body was used to before CPAP-just my guess.

In my experience with being on and off CPAP, I definitely sleep fewer hours on CPAP than without CPAP. I strongly suspect that I need less sleep when fully oxygenated. Seems logical...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 203 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,417 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.