Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking after two hours
RE: Waking after two hours
You might want to check out the Bleep mask. It has a nose-only interface that is anchored to your nose via adhesive. The current version is a little fiddly to use, but they're soon coming out with a version that will be much easier.

You'd need to solve the mouth-leak problem, though. Here are some thoughts:

1. Tongue position. Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night. For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.

2. Collar. If your jaw tends to drop down during the night, pulling your mouth open, then a soft cervical collar, or a firmer snore collar, can be a big boon. More here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

3. Although chin straps tend to pull the jaw back, which is not helpful, the Knightsbridge Dual Band strap has a design that pulls the jaw straight up, which makes it a possible alternative to a cervical collar.

4. Tape. Some people (including me) rely on tape to keep the lips from opening. (I can't rely entirely on the tongue thing.) When the lips open, all too often that eventually leads to a noisy and disruptive mouth leak. To see whether tape would be feasible for you, I recommend that you invest in a box of Somnifix strips. They are very gentle on the skin but hold very well. Be sure to curl your lips inward per instructions before placing the strip. If these work for you, then you can experiment with lower-cost options.
Post Reply Post Reply
My "hose hanger " is a cord support for a clothes iron--from the days when people had ironing boards and irons because our clothes needed to be ironed. It clamps to the top of my bedside table. It stands up about 18 inches and has a space that the cord would have passed through. I wrap a long rubbery tie around my air hose and pass it through the space.
It is a process. It is good to ask for suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guys, I re-tried N20 nasal mask with the hose hanger, and I get no leaks now! The issue with when I didn't use a hanger, the mask would get pushed or pulled causing leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 254 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 187 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 5 166 04-18-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 232 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 133 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 359 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 411 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.