Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking after two hours
Angry 
Waking after two hours
I am waking up after 2 hours of sleeping on my back. I’m a side sleeper and turning on my side wakes me due to the mask noise and blowing in my face. I also have significant lower back pain so need to change position often during the night. If I roll over on my back and rearrange the mask I just stare at the ceiling until I can’t stand it anymore. Then I take off the mask, turn off the machine, roll on my side and sleep fairly well until morning. I just started this therapy on 01 April. I am now getting a message from Resource Medical that because I’m only using my CPAP 2 hours I may be getting a bill for the machine? WTH’s up with that? I would like this treatment to work but am at a loss as where to go next!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking after two hours
I was kind of the same way as you until I figured out I needed a different pillow. So now I have a pillow that I can add or remove the filler. It’s a foam type pillow, I sleep on my side with a nasal mask and I bunch up pillow under my neck and ear area with my face hanging over the end. Clear as mud? Anyway, as you put in your time, you will teach yourself all sorts of tricks.

As far as the hours issue. I know Medicare and probably other insurance co. want you to use it.
So they have set standards for hr. Usage. Medicare is min. 4 hrs. A night I believe.

If you don’t meet the min. they will not pay. Welcome aboard, you are now a hose head.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your insurance company probably requires evidence that you are "compliant," which is often defined as using the machine for at least 4 hours out of every 24. You can top up your night-time usage with usage during the day or evening, just to be sure you don't lose the machine.

But the real problem, of course, is your difficulty in sleeping all night with the machine. You should be able to sleep comfortably on your sides with your mask. From your description, your mask may be shifting when you turn over onto one side or the other. Do you think it's the pillow that's pushing your mask askew?

If so, it might be worth experimenting with a fairly firm, low pillow. I don't use a FFM myself, but I've read many posts from FFM users who benefit from hanging their mask off the side of their pillow. If you look on line, you'll also see CPAP pillows that have cutouts to accommodate the mask.

Just curious: do you breathe through your mouth during the day? If not, have you considered using a nasal pillow mask? They tend to have fewer fit problems.

Just saw Nightynite's post with good pillow advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a die-hard slide sleeper. When I first started sleep apnea therapy (early Sept. 2018), I didn't use a hose holder / hanger. I also used a full face mask, and started out with a ResMed AirFit F20. 

After a few weeks of therapy and some advice from this here forum, I fabricated my own hose holder. What a game changer that was! Night & day difference!!

I graduated to a Resmed AirFit F30 mask within a month or so. That too, was a huge improvement. 

If you aren't using a hose holder / hanger, buy one and try it out. They are reasonably priced and there are numerous variations to choose from. I also bought a hose cover and that keeps the hose better insulated and well as keeping it dead quiet if it should happen to rub against something.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I need a good hose hanger. Not sure what would make a good hose hanger in a functional sense? Can somebody explain?

I know I need a good hose hanger because I've had times the hose would get under my pillow and all that mess. Also, it would likely shift the mask without a good stable hose position.

Please recommend me a good hose hanger/holder.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
A sturdy one is the Hose Buddy.

The Houdini swivels more easily but also breaks more easily. My husband made a fix to my Houdini that involved soldering in place a receptacle for the top stem piece. If you’re handy that way, I’d recommend the Houdini. I’m also happy to give more details about the fix for it, if you ever want that.

Quite a few people improvise using clamps, hanger that support plants, hooks, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2022, 03:22 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Your insurance company probably requires evidence that you are "compliant," which is often defined as using the machine for at least 4 hours out of every 24.  You can top up your night-time usage with usage during the day or evening, just to be sure you don't lose the machine.

But the real problem, of course, is your difficulty in sleeping all night with the machine.  You should be able to sleep comfortably on your sides with your mask.  From your description, your mask may be shifting when you turn over onto one side or the other.  Do you think it's the pillow that's pushing your mask askew?  

If so, it might be worth experimenting with a fairly firm, low pillow.  I don't use a FFM myself, but I've read many posts from FFM users who benefit from hanging their mask off the side of their pillow.  If you look on line, you'll also see CPAP pillows that have cutouts to accommodate the mask.

Just curious: do you breathe through your mouth during the day?  If not, have you considered using a nasal pillow mask?  They tend to have fewer fit problems.

Just saw Nightynite's post with good pillow advice!

Thanks Dormeo,
I currently use a firm and not very thick pillow. I tried the nasal mask but it wouldn't stay put so I switched to the hybrid?  Nose pillow but with a small plastic piece over the mouth. I still have the nasal pillow perhaps I should give that another try. I dumped it because my mouth kept falling open and I would have the old "flutter lips"!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2022, 03:38 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm a die-hard slide sleeper. When I first started sleep apnea therapy (early Sept. 2018), I didn't use a hose holder / hanger. I also used a full face mask, and started out with a ResMed AirFit F20. 

After a few weeks of therapy and some advice from this here forum, I fabricated my own hose holder. What a game changer that was! Night & day difference!!

I graduated to a Resmed AirFit F30 mask within a month or so. That too, was a huge improvement. 

If you aren't using a hose holder / hanger, buy one and try it out. They are reasonably priced and there are numerous variations to choose from. I also bought a hose cover and that keeps the hose better insulated and well as keeping it dead quiet if it should happen to rub against something.

Big Guy,  
 I am willing to try a hose hanger but not sure what that would accomplish? Is it just to prevent   
 the hose from getting tangled up? My hose is attached at the top of the face mask so I don't "think" that's a problem but I could most assuredly be wrong Huh .
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2022, 03:38 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm a die-hard slide sleeper. When I first started sleep apnea therapy (early Sept. 2018), I didn't use a hose holder / hanger. I also used a full face mask, and started out with a ResMed AirFit F20. 

Big Guy,
 I am willing to try a hose hanger but not sure what that would accomplish? Is it just to prevent   
 the hose from getting tangled up? My hose is attached at the top of the face mask so I don't "think" that's a problem but I could most assuredly be wrong Huh .

Nightynight, Thanks I will look at trying a different pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
A hose hanger / holder will indeed keep the hose from getting tangled up. It will also prevent rain-out, that some seem to experience.

My machine sits on a bedside file cabinet that is the same height as our top mattress. The hose runs uphill at a steep angle, to my hose holder, and then back down to my mask. I have ZERO problems with rain-out. 

As I turn over in my sleep, the hose doesn't get tangled up at all. It does a very good job at managing the hose and keeping it out of the way. 

As I mentioned, I made my own. It attaches to the top of our bed's headboard. I've seen some that use a platform / base that goes between the box spring and the mattress. That type, I would avoid at all costs. Mine is rock solid and doesn't move at all. It has a "boom" that moves back and forth with the hose. 

Anyways, the hose holder was the best improvement to my therapy. It really did make that much of a difference.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 154 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 388 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 462 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 256 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 190 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.