Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking during REM
Waking during REM
Recently, I have been waking in the early morning hours during REM sleep (as indicated by my dreaming.)

Something about my breathing or machine is awakening me. I feel like my breathing is shallow; and as if my VPAP-S switches from IPAP to EPAP prematurely.

My machine reports my AHI as 3.1 and my AI as 1.9

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas as to cause.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking during REM
(01-15-2014, 02:52 PM)justMongo Wrote: Something about my breathing or machine is awakening me. I feel like my breathing is shallow; and as if my VPAP-S switches from IPAP to EPAP prematurely.
Can you give us some info about your machine's settings.

EPAP = ??
IPAP = ??
PS = ?? (you may only have a PS setting if you're running in Auto mode)
Ti min = ??
Ti max = ??

Note that the Ti min and Ti max settings are connected to how the machine switches from IPAP to EPAP and since you think the machine is dropping to EPAP too soon, it may be the Ti max setting that you need to look at. If the Ti max setting is not at its maximum possible value, it could be increasing Ti max might help eliminate the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 10:50 PM)robysue Wrote: Can you give us some info about your machine's settings.

EPAP = ??
IPAP = ??
PS = ?? (you may only have a PS setting if you're running in Auto mode)
Ti min = ??
Ti max = ??

Note that the Ti min and Ti max settings are connected to how the machine switches from IPAP to EPAP and since you think the machine is dropping to EPAP too soon, it may be the Ti max setting that you need to look at. If the Ti max setting is not at its maximum possible value, it could be increasing Ti max might help eliminate the problem.

EPAP = 9.6 cm-H2O
IPAP = 14.6 cm-H2O
PS = does not apply S mode
Ti min = 0.3 sec (these are also default settings)
Ti max = 2 sec (these are also default settings)
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
While you *could* change Ti MAX to 4.0 seconds, and you might like it, it can't be the cause, as it's always been that way.
FYI - my Ti MAX has always been at 4.0 - if you choose to exhale sooner it will allow, but the Ti MAX is just that - it's the longest the machine will stay on inhale (IPAP).

The actual (how fast does it switch from EPAP to IPAP and back is the 'TRIGGER' and 'CYCLE'. But again, while those can increase your comfort, they can't be the cause as they haven't been changed.

So, either your machine is dying, or your body is the reason somehow - you can look to the machine to make a comfort change, but it can't be the cause as no one has changed any settings, unless it is dying...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 02:37 PM)Peter_C Wrote: While you *could* change Ti MAX to 4.0 seconds, and you might like it, it can't be the cause, as it's always been that way.
FYI - my Ti MAX has always been at 4.0 - if you choose to exhale sooner it will allow, but the Ti MAX is just that - it's the longest the machine will stay on inhale (IPAP).

The actual (how fast does it switch from EPAP to IPAP and back is the 'TRIGGER' and 'CYCLE'. But again, while those can increase your comfort, they can't be the cause as they haven't been changed.

So, either your machine is dying, or your body is the reason somehow - you can look to the machine to make a comfort change, but it can't be the cause as no one has changed any settings, unless it is dying...

The only changes I have made was to up the IPAP and EPAP pressure by 0.6 cm-H2O last November to get my AHI under 5.
My old S8 machine might be dying -- or, I should say I hope it is; I really want an S9.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
hehe - least you don't have the in-between model like I do! I believe if it's over 5yrs old it should be covered, you do not need to wait for it to really die on you.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 154 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 388 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 256 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 190 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.